Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • valleyvampiress
    • Apr 2005

Length of time for encoding?

How long is encoding supposed to take? I have a P4 2.6Ghz HT, 1Gig 333SD RAM, 7200RPM hard drive with 16MB cache.

Every time I encode a movie using Xvid and GordianKnot/Auto GordianKnot, it takes REALLY long. I've never been sucessful at encoding a movie yet because it seems to freeze at a certain point and not go beyond a certain percentage (not any percentage in particular). I've had a job in GordianKnot running for 9 hours once and it was stuck at 60% for about an hour. I turned it off after that. I was using the Divx-Digest guide for GK encoding with Xvid. I followed all the instructions three times already with the same problem happening. I'm trying AutoGK now.

So tell me, what is the normal time for it to take? I've been trying full length movies that run about 80min - 120min.
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

So tell me, what is the normal time for it to take?
    NO, that's definitely not normal

maybe your cpu load is too high due to background tasks?
    (antivirus tools, possibly even virii)

then there is the dma setting - is your harddrive using dma or by chance only pio-mode?

if in doubt, use the board's search engine and look for DMA

Comment

• valleyvampiress
      • Apr 2005

Thanks UncasMS. I guess it must have been the settings I was doing on GK. I used AutoGK lastnight and it worked out well. It only took me 3 hours which compared to my other time, is lightening speed!

BTW, I do have Norton Antivirus and DMA is enabled. Not that that matters anymore though, but just for future reference.

Comment

Working...