Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ciberfire
    • Apr 2005

WinAVI wants MPEG/DVD codec

I am using a trial copy of the WinAVI software. I am attempting to convert a movie from the DVD to AVI.

When I attempt to do this I get an error message from WinAvi stating that I need to install a MPEG/DVD codec. I can't find that codec at the site of winavi.com.

Would I get the codec at the time I purchased the software?

Suggestions?
    Thanks!

PS If this thread is in the wrong area please let me know, sorry!
    Last edited by ciberfire; 1 May 2005, 06:55 AM.
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

"Would I get the codec at the time I purchased the software?"
    Nope, you probably need to download the DivX codec and/or the FFDShow filter.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
      Demigod of Digital Video
      • Nov 2004

you wont find it at winavi.com, do a google search for your codecs they are not hard to find and are free.

keep in mind the trial version, after encoding, will have caption across the center of the output file. so it's really a useless trial. i would not bother with winavi at all--it's pure crap. you should be able to find freeware that will do this for you.
      "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
      Columbo moments...
      "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
      "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
      (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• ciberfire
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by jmet
        Nope, you probably need to download the DivX codec and/or the FFDShow filter.
        Which DivX codec?

I have and will install the FFDShow filter.

Currently installed on my computer is the K-Lite Codec Pack. Will installing the FFDShow filter cause any problems?

Thank you for replying jmet!

Comment

• ciberfire
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by columbo999
          you wont find it at winavi.com, do a google search for your codecs they are not hard to find and are free.

keep in mind the trial version, after encoding, will have caption across the center of the output file. so it's really a useless trial. i would not bother with winavi at all--it's pure crap. you should be able to find freeware that will do this for you.
          Thank you columbo999 for replying!

What software do or would you use in this situation? Hey free is good!

Thanks!

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

One set of procedures is as follows:

1) Rip DVD with DVDDecrypter

2) Convert to .AVI using Flask or MPEGMediator
            A) Using DivX v.3.11 codec (Fast Motion 910kbps, keyframe every 10 seconds) or other DivX codec, or Xvid codec, or 3IVX codec
            B) Using PCM (uncompressed) audio at 48,000Hz (Maintains synchronization of audio and video)

3) Load .AVI into VirtualDub
            A) Set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copying"
            B) Set "Audio" to "Full Processing Mode"
            C) Under "Audio", click on "Conversion", select "44,100Hz" (or 48,000Hz, if this doesn't present a playback problem for you)
            D) Under "Audio", click on "Compression" select "MP3", "44,100Hz" (or 48,000Hz), "96Kbps" (or higher)
            E) Save revised .AVI with new filename

Comment

• ciberfire
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by setarip
              One set of procedures is as follows:

Thank you setarip for the set of procedures! I will give these a go tonight!

Last night I tried a software package named FairUse Wizard not bad. My first AVI created by this software was OK. I think that image could have been a little sharper.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

"Thank you setarip for the set of procedures!"

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

Working...