• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Art Vandelay
    Digital Video Technician
    Digital Video Technician
    • Feb 2006

CCE SP no audio on burnt DVD

A friend of mine told me he used DVD Rebuilder 98.2 and CCE SP 2.7 to build a folder of DVD files on his AMD X2 Athalon PC. The output folder from Rebuilder will play fine with audio with MP Classic on the PC or TV.

If this same folder is then built into a ISO with ImgBurn the video is fine but there is no audio when playing the DVD on the PC or set top player? I didn't believe him so I went over and saw him do it. The output folder from RB contains the audio and plays fine with audio. He said even if he takes the output folder and opens it with a transcoder everything seems OK it shows the audio (AC3 or mpeg) but when you try to view it in the small monitor of the GUI of the transcoder the video doesn't start and there is no audio, you can drag the slider and the video shows on the small screen but no audio and the video won't continue.
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

why would one build an ISO out of a normal and fine dvd structure?
    but even if you wanted to go this (useless imho) step: imgburn will hardly ever be to blame

it can be the input or the selected language settings or ...
    how familiar is he with dvd rb, imgburn and the like and how often did he do backups of this kind successfully before?

dvd rb + imgburn is so reliable i cannot even remember when or if it failed

burn the dvd rb output to dvd and it should work fine like it always did for all of us

Comment

• Art Vandelay
      Digital Video Technician
      Digital Video Technician
      • Feb 2006

ISO so that it is a nice container with all the files for easy burning and ImgBurn gives you the "you want the BUILD setting" it you just select the 2 folder and try to burn. I watched him do this, and the output from RB plays fine with MP Classic on PC or TV with audio but not when it was burnt to a DVD to play on stand alone machine, DVD is fine with all otehr dvd's. The audio is english but when it is shown in the transcoder it says unknown audio but is checked and is the only audio track. Even reauthoring setting the transcoder the default stream didn't help The source is a captured movie for sat dish. Great looking video but no audio when burnt to DVD after building the ISO with ImgBurn and burning the ISO with ImgBurn. I tried to take a blank RW disk and send the Video_Ts and audio_ts files to the blank but it keeps telling me windows has a problem doinig this. I am going to ask him to try his Sonic software and see if he can make a data DVD of the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS.

I am confused with this I am in no way saying there is somthing wrong with ImgBurn as I have used it for years. But it is confusinig that the RB output plays fine from the folder but when it is built to a ISO then burnt there is no audio and the audio buttons on the remote don't help as there is only 1 audio track???

Comment

• UncasMS
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2001

i still dont get it why soemone builds an iso, which in this particular case does not seem to work afterwards instead of burning the dvd rb output straight as dvd compliant material?

also: where is what material being played from?

you say: "plays fine from folder" - this makes me asume it was NOT burned to dvd but only played on the pc

and then you have an ISO biuld (for whatever reason - still does not make any sense to me) from the output folder does not play?
        WHERE? - on the pc or dvd player?

if what i sumarized should be true than we're comparing apples to oranges as one time we have a softwareplayer accepting (improperly authored i come to think) material from a folder where another output material does not seem to play

without more detailed information this looks like a vicious circle

what other tools/routines have been (cross)tested?
        what happens when the same input material is processed by shrink?
        what happens when the dvd rb output is processed by shrink?
        why dont you skip the iso creation and burn straight to dvd compliant structure with imgburn?
        what happens when you process the material with pgcedit/fixvts?

Comment

• Art Vandelay
          Digital Video Technician
          Digital Video Technician
          • Feb 2006

read below

i still dont get it why soemone builds an iso, which in this particular case does not seem to work afterwards instead of burning the dvd rb output straight as dvd compliant material?

billions of people do this. Many people learned with the transcoder you mentioned and it has the option to make the output ISO and so does DVD-RB I blieve. It is a nice little folder to have the video files in on the HDD.

also: where is what material being played from?

the output from DVD-RB/CCE SP the output folder that RB used as tartget.

you say: "plays fine from folder" - this makes me asume it was NOT burned to dvd but only played on the pc

NO after the ISO is built with ImgBurn the ISO is burnt with ImgBurn and the DVD plays on the set top box but there is no audio but good picture quality. After I see and hear there is no audio I go back to the PC that has his Rebuilder output folder on it. I open the folder, select the VIDEO_TS.IFO and it plays on the PC with MP Classic with audio.

The mentioned transcoder will open the DVD-RB output folder and it shows the audio file. If reauthor is used and you select the audio track rather than letting the DVD player decide the resulting ISO after burning to DVD still has no audio.

fixvts, vobblanker, pgcedit did nothing to it.

The original captured source was created as a dvr-ms file processes with Procoder 3 and it was over 4.7GB so my friend used CCE SP to shrink it with DVD-RB. Me I would have just used the Procoder wizzard he has to shrink the dvr-ms file to 4.7GB and called it a day.

Strangest thing. I went to his house opend the DVD-RB output folder on the PC that authored it and selected the VIDEO_TS folder and the AUDIO_TS folder, burnt them to a DVD+RW with Sonic as a Data DVD and this DVD worked on the PC and the Panasonic DVD/TV player with Audio.

Bottom line. The DVD-RB/CCE-SP output folder had the video and audio in it when playing on PC with MP Classic. When this same fodler was built into a ISO with ImgBurn then burnt to DVD there was no audio, just video when playing the DVD on set top DVD player or PC DVD drives.

Sonic data DVD did work as it had the audio.

I wonder if my buddy has a questionable version of CCE as I didn't see a USB dongle in the PC, but it might have been in a slot at the back of the PC.

Comment

• UncasMS
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2001

cce cant be to blame when the output played from hdd with mpc hc had sound

Strangest thing. I went to his house opend the DVD-RB output folder on the PC that authored it and selected the VIDEO_TS folder and the AUDIO_TS folder, burnt them to a DVD+RW with Sonic as a Data DVD and this DVD worked on the PC and the Panasonic DVD/TV player with Audio.
            it would be interesting to see what would happen if imgburn would be used instead of sonic for burning the video_ts folder to a given dvd media

on the other hand it is no big deal cross testing hc as encoder within dvd rb instead of cce

and btw i've never ever cared for an iso image but always output to video_ts/audio_ts from within dvd rb because i wanted to check the results easily with any softwareplayer and i most definitely dont like to load an iso for this job or use player that handle iso as input

these folder will be burned with imgburn and up to the rpesent day they never played any tricks on my

Comment

• Art Vandelay
              Digital Video Technician
              Digital Video Technician
              • Feb 2006

it would be interesting to see what would happen if imgburn would be used instead of sonic for burning the video_ts folder to a given dvd media

this is what he did and I did also for him as I always use ImgBurn to burn the ISO. How do you use ImgBurn to burn the folder that has VIDEO_TS folder and AUDIO_TS. Are you using write files folders to disk? in ImgBurn? I have never done it this way, I agree it does remove 1 step in my process.

output to video_ts/audio_ts from within dvd rb because i wanted to check the results easily with any softwareplayer.

I view with MP Classic then make the ISO and burn with ImgBurn. This is a step I could eliminate. Thanks

i most definitely dont like to load an iso for this job or use player that handle iso as input

I agree, I only use a pgm capable of this to test a ISO to see if it is OK.

Like I said I would have gone with Procoder 3 start to finish as it is an .drv-ms interlaced source of a documentary.

I will ask him to try it with HCenc 24 and RB

Comment

• UncasMS
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2001

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay
                How do you use ImgBurn to burn the folder that has VIDEO_TS folder and AUDIO_TS. Are you using write files folders to disk in ImgBurn? I have never done it this way, I agree it does remove 1 step in my process.
                - the easiest way could be to drag your video_ts folder to imgburn and simply drop it - imgburn will do (the clever tool it is) the rest for you. it will recognize the content and create compliant dvd material

otherwise:
                - start imgburn
                - write files/folders to disc
                - browse for the video_ts folder (or the root directory one step up containing video+audio_ts)
                - burn
                Last edited by UncasMS; 9 Feb 2010, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Working...