X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Norm1000
    mind mechanic
    • Aug 2011

Huge MPEG file problem.

Due to a home security camera being left on for nearly ten days I now have an MPEG file some 500gb +. VLC media player tries to play it but freezes about 150gb into it (about two days worth) I've dowloaded loads of freeware progs to try and slit the file but they wont even read it. The trouble is there is the possibility that the camera may have picked up something useful to the police on the seventh day and I can't get to it.

Any ideas chaps?
  • yurivict
    • Aug 2011

500GB file should be no big deal. I am able to play such file without a problem. Let me guess which OS you are using ... it's Windows? It is notorious to have problems with large files, large file copying and about anything of unusual size.

One idea: install some Linux distribution (Ubuntu is very good) into the the virtual environment (like VirtualBox), mount your Windows drive and try playing your file in one of available there players. (mplayer/vlc/xine/etc). I bet you will not see any problem.

Another idea: just chopping the file in pieces might be sufficient since mpeg is designed to be streaming and error resistant protocol and you will only lose few frames on the chopping points.
    Last edited by yurivict; 8 Aug 2011, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Working...