Wav to AC3 5.1 Copying Stereo Rear Speakers???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sneglen
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Oct 2002

Wav to AC3 5.1 Copying Stereo Rear Speakers???

Is it possible to copy the stereo track so it works on both front and rear speakers???

I want to convert my Music CD's into AC3 Tracks so they can be played on my Sorround system, otherwise it will only play it as stereo and use the front speakers, so it is futile to convert them to MP3.

So I tried Besweet but it will only convert the Wav file into 2 Channels, and I would like to have 5.1 or at least 4.1 so I get the sound all around (Don't say: "Use Sonic Foundry's Soft Encoder" Can't get it to work)

If Nobody Bought Movies, Why Should They Continue To Make Them?

"Bull****" Neo To The Father Of The Matrix In Reloaded
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"Don't say: "Use Sonic Foundry's Soft Encoder" Can't get it to work"

Just curious - what's the problem you're encountering?

Comment

• sneglen
      Platinum Member
      Platinum Member
      • Oct 2002

First of all I can only open the wave file, can't figure out how to make the extra tracks, then when trying to save it makes an error

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Try clicking on the "Help" dropdown menu, or reading the documentation that cam ewith the software when you purchased it...

Comment

• sneglen
          Platinum Member
          Platinum Member
          • Oct 2002

Well it doesn't make any difference since whenever I save it makes an error an shuts down

And I got a refund just after I got it since I couldn't get it to work

So any other program capable of the AC3 Encoding

Comment

• The Maynard
            • Jan 2003

You may want to try Surcode DTS. That lets you take 6 mono wave files and plug them into each channel (FL FR C SL SR) and it encodes it into a DTS encoded wave file.
            So what you could do is split the stereo wave into one mone wave for the left and one for the right, then plug the left channel into the front left and the surround left and the right channel into the front left and surround left. THEN you can plug the stereo wave into the center channel. Then you can make another copy of the stereo wave and increase the bass levels and plug that into the LFE channel. Then Surcode with mux them together and make a DTS track out of it.
            Last edited by UncasMS; 17 Jun 2003, 04:11 AM.

Comment

• BinaryJustin
              • Jan 2004

I've tried this myself and its been quite successful...

First off, you need to use a PCM WAV as opposed to any other format. Even the slightest disparity within an mp3 file will result in phasing.

Secondly, forget about Dolby - DTS 5.1 is the only real option to create Surround-Sound CDs.

I used Goldwave to create the different channels. If you don't have it, you should get it. Its free (there is a permanent nag screen but the program is fully-functional). Visit Goldwave.com to get the latest version.

01. Rip a CD track to a WAV file and rename it master.wav (you don't have to rename it, it just gets confusing!);

02. Open the master.wav in Goldwave;

03. On the Goldwave toolbar, click "Edit", "Channel"; "Left". The left-channel waveform will be highlighted;

04. Click "File", "Save Selection As..." and name the file "left_front". Change the "Save as type" to "Wave" and the File Attributes to "16 bit, mono, signed";

05. On the Goldwave toolbar, click "Edit", "Channel"; "Right". The right-channel waveform will be highlighted;

06. Click "File", "Save Selection As..." and name the file "right_front". Change the "Save as type" to "Wave" and the File Attributes to "16 bit, mono, signed";

07. At this point, the right-channel waveform will still be highlighted. On the Goldwave toolbar, click on "Effects" and then "Invert";

08. Click on "Edit", "Channel" and "Both". Click "File", "Save Selection As..." and name the file "right_back". Change the "Save as type" to "Wave" and the File Attributes to "16 bit, mono, signed";

You've just created a right-channel OOPS file! For more information on the OOPS effect, click here.

09. Close the file onscreen by clicking "File" and "Close" on the Goldwave toolbar;

10. Open the original WAV named master.wav;

11. On the Goldwave toolbar, click "Edit", "Channel"; "Left". The left-channel waveform will be highlighted;

12. On the Goldwave toolbar, click on "Effects" and then "Invert";

13. Click on "Edit", "Channel" and "Both". Click "File", "Save Selection As..." and name the file "left_back". Change the "Save as type" to "Wave" and the File Attributes to "16 bit, mono, signed";

That's the hard part over and done with!

14. Close the file onscreen by clicking "File" and "Close" on the Goldwave toolbar;

15. Open the original WAV named master.wav;

16. Move your mouse over Goldwave's toolbar icons until you find the "Low/Highpass" option and click it;

17. In the Filter options, click the radio button which says "Dynamic". The default option is for the filter is "Lowpass" but if this isn't already selected, make sure that it is!;

18. Change the initial Hz to 80 and the final Hz to 120 (you can just overtype the values). The default "Steepness" is 5, which is fine. Click "OK";

19. Click "File", "Save Selection As..." and name the file "lfe". Change the "Save as type" to "Wave" and the File Attributes to "16 bit, mono, signed";

20. Close the file onscreen by clicking "File" and "Close" on the Goldwave toolbar;

21. Open the original WAV named master.wav;

22. Move your mouse over Goldwave's toolbar icons until you find the "Maximise" option and click it;

23. Half the volume of the file by clicking the "New maximum" radio button, adjust the slider to 0.5 and then click "OK";

24. Move your mouse over Goldwave's toolbar icons until you find the "Parametric EQ" option and click it;

25. Choose the "Presets" option named "Treble boost" (its towards the bottom of the screen) and click "OK";

26. 19. Click "File", "Save Selection As..." and name the file "centre". Change the "Save as type" to "Wave" and the File Attributes to "16 bit, mono, signed".

You now have six (5 + 1) channels from an originally stereo source! Okay, its not perfect but its really, really convincing.

Just a few notes...

The left and right OOPS files are the only means of creating background "ambience" from a stereo source. They sound odd on their own, but great when mixed together.

The actual DTS protocol specifies that the Subwoofer frequencies should be no higher than 120Hz - I did do some reading on this.

I decreased the volume of the centre file, so that when I raise the treble, it doesn't distort. The treble sounds great raised on the middle channel because this is where vocals and guitars are usually placed. The OOPS files in the left and right background take care of any high frequencies which aren't slap-bang in the middle (such as panned tambourines and cow-bells).

Once you have your 6 files, you do need to mix them to a DTS WAV file - download the SurCode DTS CD demo at SurCode.com to hear how it wil sound.

So that's my recipe for converting stereo WAV files to 5.1 DTS Surround Sound CDs.

Comment

• Darkmaster
                • Apr 2004

hey BinaryJustin

oke i did al the things you bescriped and it al worked fine, but when i was finished and had the six files and wanted to mount in surcode dts demo it said this (warning sample rate of wave file is 48000 and does not match chosen sample rate of 44100)

i cant choose 48000 in surcode

so must the master file always be 44100 to start with or???

damm alot of time wasted...lol

maybe you have an idee to solve this

greets

Comment

• Darkmaster
                  • Apr 2004

its oke solved it

Comment

• alexica77
                    • Aug 2004

Hi, BinaryJustin

I'm from Romania, and I need your help ASAP.
                    I follow your steps from above and I bought the software from SurCode, ver. CD DTS Pro 1.09.
                    When I encode all channels in a single file (wav), I can't hear nothing, just buzzing sound with many parasites.
                    Do I need the version without PRO to encode ?
                    Or, what I did wrong ?

I will look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,
                    Alex from Romania

Comment

• jolson
                      • Mar 2005

Maybe a bit late for an answer...
                      You probably did everything right, apart from trying to play the result on a system that doesn't have a DTS decoder.

Comment

• fubar4u
                        • Sep 2010

what about wave wizard, it can make six channel from two , right?

Comment

Working...