Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hitpro
    • Sep 2005

Convert 'dat' files

Hi all. Ok, I'm at wits end here. I have these files on my computer that I extracted from a site and I'm having a problem saving them as a 'viewable' video file. What I mean is I watched them (maybe streamed), then I went to my temp. internet folder and saved them. Here is ONE problem. Although the link says it's a 'wmv' file, it saves as a 'dat' file, and I can't watch them again. Here comes the real problems. lol

-I tried re-naming the 'dat' extension to 'mpeg'....nothing
    -I tried to convert the 'dat' to 'mpeg' using VCD gear....error "Could not locate mpeg stream"
    -I tried extracting the 'dat' to 'mpeg' in ISObuster....got a 0MB 'mpeg' file
    -I tried converting 'dat' to 'bin' using ISObuster....did it, but Nero only lets you burn one 'bin' at a time. And I don't really know if it will be an mpeg once it's burned
    -I tried extracting the video from the 'bin' files in ISObuster....got a 0MB 'mpeg' file
    -I tried DVD Decrypter in iso mode....invalid or unsupported file
    -I tried DivxtoDVD....no good

How can I convert these files to 'mpeg'? Once I get them in that format, I will burn them to CD.

Here is one of the 40 files. The others are the same path, except for the file number.(ex. 215-1, 215-2,etc)

mms://a0009.m.akastream.net/7/0009/3...5/70-215-1.wmv

I don't know why VCD gear is not working. Everybody seems to think it will work. Someone had mentioned that since I didn't get the files straight from a VCD myself, there can be problems.

I would appreciate it if someone can advise me or try them out for themselves and point me in the right direction

thanx
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

i see your problem. when i "rip" a vcd to my pc it copies the files as .dat files also. i rename them to ".mpg" not ".mpeg" and it becomes a normal .mpg file that i can work with just as it was before i burned it. not sure if the same would work with ".wmv" though.
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• hitpro
      • Sep 2005

I forgot to mention that I tried to rename it to 'mpg' too. With no luck. And the funniest thing is why would it save as a 'dat' file if the original extension is 'wmv'?

O woe is me. lol

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

i really don't know about this, but what happens when you rename it to .wmv? i haven't mucked with temp file multimedia....
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• hitpro
          • Sep 2005

Windows media player says that the file has an extension that doesn't match the file format, and if I want to play it anyway. I said yes, and it doesn't play.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

you should maybe try Media player classic or VLC player. both are free. VLC has it's own codecs so maybe you might get something out of it...
            Columbo moments...

Comment

• hitpro
              • Sep 2005

EUREKA!!! I did it.

Thanks LT. Columbo.

I used VLC and it worked. Funny thing, I had VLC for months on my memory stick. I used it occasionally at work and I downloaded it to my stick but never installed it at home. Well, I did... and it worked. One thing, the mpegs can't be rewound or forwarded using the mouse. Is there a way to re-encode them to make them have that ability? It's upsetting for me if I miss something in the video, I have to start it over again.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                Demigod of Digital Video
                • Nov 2004

glad you have made progress. if it's a true mpeg i don't see why you can't encode it.
                Columbo moments...

Comment

• tryvid7
                  • Feb 2006

vlc also dont work

Hi all,
                  I got exactly the same problem (to open a dat file that has been saved from a mms), I downloaded vlc as described and tried to open the .dat file but it does not work. I tried changing the file extension to .wmv, .mpeg, .mpg but still no success...should I do something extra in vlc?
                  thanks

Comment

• paglamon
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Aug 2005

A MMS is probably 3GP.
                    sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

Working...