Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Burdine
    • Feb 2009

Creating Glitch Effects Using Two-Pass Compression

Hey guys, I'm trying to recreate an effect that I've seen lately where compression is purposely manipulated to create digital glitching. The effect has been used in this Kanye West video and by video artists like Sven Koenig and Takeshi Murata

From what I've been able to gather the effect comes from deleting individual keyframes in the stats file generated during the first pass of a two-pass compression and then generating the second pass with the faulty stats file so that other keyframes are applied in the wrong spots.

I've been trying to test out this theory using VirtualDub but I'm new to the program and to compression in general. I started off using the Xvid codec and I noticed that it can do two-pass compression and that I can set where it generates the ".Pass" stats file. I also figured out how to modifythe stats file in Wordpad. I believe the keyframes are the lines label "I" - Is this correct and can anyone tell me what the lines labeled "P" and "B" mean?

What I don't completely understand is how to complete the 2nd pass using the modified stats file. Does VirtualDub actually use this file for the second pass? And how do I complete the second pass once I've done the first? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to purposely glitch up a video file?

Thanks
    Last edited by Burdine; 18 Feb 2009, 02:07 PM.
  • amnesiac
    • Aug 2009

I am also very interested in this, and sorry no one has replied to you. Have you since found out any more about deleting these keyframes? Or any other similar techniques? I actually created this by accident and have no idea what settings i used to do it with. Please reply if you have any additional info!

THANKS

Leech

Comment

Working...