• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahlandberg
    Anders
    • Aug 2009

Join avi files using command line

Hello experts,

My question refers to an article ("Joining AVI files" from divx-digest.com) whose link URL I am not allowed to post because my post count is below 10, so I have described it here:

I want to join avi files (fragments) using the command line that comes with virtual dub. A simple thing using the GUI, but when it comes to the command line, I am struggling now.

If somebody has experience in this and done it before, I appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks.

Cheers, Anders
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

since you dont provide details i'm not sure what exactly you want to do or why with "command line" when vd has the "append file" function to do just what you want: joining/appending files

you have several choices:

- use vd's "append file" command to join files (with identical codecs)

- use alexander noe's "avi-mux gui" for the job:

- use the real command line: copy /b ...

i.e. to join 001.avi, 002.avi and 003.avi together to new file: mymovie.avi use:

copy /b 001.avi +002.avi +003.avi mymovie.avi

wildcards can also be used: copy /b *.avi mymovie.avi
    Last edited by UncasMS; 13 Aug 2010, 10:02 PM.

Comment

• ahlandberg
      Anders
      • Aug 2009

Hi,

I should have specified what I actually try to achieve yes, but you got the point. Joining avi files into a new avi file.

The reason why I want to use the command line and not the GUI is because I am developing a tool that utilizes VD for the purpose of joining avi files.

Often avi files come in separate parts and joining them manually can become quite laborious with increasing quantity. My goal is to develop a tool that automatically detects such parts and joins them. All you need to do is to run the tool periodically and harvest the joined avi files.

Well, that's what I'm doing. Thanks a lot for your help, will go to work straight away.

Anders

Comment

• paglamon
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Aug 2005

My goal is to develop a tool that automatically detects such parts
        VD itself automatically detects such parts if they are serially numbered and in the same folder.Click image for larger version

Name:	VD.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	916427
        sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• MilesAhead
          Eclectician
          • Nov 2006

ahlandberg because paglamon is right I vote you make your utility work with AviDemux. There's a script for doing the sequentially numbered files thing in AviDemux but it's very hard to find. Also AviDemux is rich in command line params. If you go to the Wiki page for it you'll see that just about anything can be done from AviDemux command line.

I suggest using v. 2.4 though. Seems as of 2.5 they are trying to ruin it by making massive lame changes(and I don't mean the mp3 library thing.)

Comment

Working...