Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forumadm/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forumadm/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forumadm/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forumadm/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forumadm/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forumadm/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forumadm/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forumadm/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forumadm/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forumadm/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forumadm/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forumadm/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forumadm/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forumadm/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 FULL REPORT: Ritek D01 DVD+R DL with NEC 3540 - Digital Video Forums

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FULL REPORT: Ritek D01 DVD+R DL with NEC 3540

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TNT
    DVD Shrinker
    • Jan 2004

FULL REPORT: Ritek D01 DVD+R DL with NEC 3540

As some of you may know, I recently purchased a 25 pack of Inkjet Printable Ritek DVD+R DL's from NewEgg and they have been driving me crazy. I'll start off with a synopsis of what has happened and present only facts. At the end I'll present my conclusions.

Media Information
    Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
    Media code/Manufacturer ID RITEK D01
    Media Product Revision Number 01h
    Format Capacity Blank Disc
    Free Blocks 4253024256
    Free Capacity 7.96GB(8.55GB)
    Book Type DVD+R DL
    Media Type DVD+R DL
    Manufacturer Rated Speed 2.4x 3324KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.4x 3324KBps
    Linear Density Blank Disc
    Track Density Unknown
    Number of Layers 1

Complete Media Code
    00000000 01 02 00 00 E1 0F 32 10 00 03 00 00 00 FC FF FF ......2.........
    00000010 00 22 D7 FF 00 00 00 52 49 54 45 4B 00 00 00 44 .".....RITEK...D
    00000020 30 31 01 40 25 25 37 0C 00 28 64 00 28 64 20 1F 01.@%%7..(d.(d .
    00000030 0C 0C 14 14 02 01 01 20 00 20 1F 0C 0C 14 14 02 ....... . ......

It all started when I burned my first DVD+R DL using Decrypter and noticed it skipped badly on my PStwo. My Pioneer would not even recognise the disc. The Cyberhome played the DVD with minor pauses. I ran a CRC Error test and a DVD scan. The CRC was clean but the scan came in at 17%. I played the discs again, to find that the DVD would pause occasionally on the PS2 and played perfectly on the other 2 machines and the PC. After that I did another scan and had noticed that the Quality had jumped to 85! At this point I was really confused and consulted with others in this forum.

To make a long story short, I tested 5 discs on 4 DVD players and a PC, using DVD Decrypter, Imgburn, Firmware 1.W7 and 1.W6 and this is what I found out. On every disc, there were no CRC errors. The scans would range from a Quality score of 17 to 91. Every disc would play perfectly on a Cyberhome CH300, Pioneer DV-563A, and a Marantz DVD-930 (except for the 1st disc which I explained above). As for the PS2 which drove me bonkers, all discs would skip. Then, after about an hour, it would skip less. By the next day, it would pause 0-5 times in a 5 minute window at the beginning of Layer 1. Otherwise , the rest of the movie played fine. I tried cleaning the lens, but no luck. I did a search on PS2's and apparently a lot of people have reading problems with them even with original games, let alone burned DVD+R DL's. I myself have noticed the DVD skipping sometimes when playing a game. I contacted RITEK about the situation and got a prompt but Chinglish answer. Apparently, this 'settling' of DVD's as I will call it, is news to them.

Conclusions:

These Ritek's burn adequately to be played on most DVD players, but cheaper/more finicky DVD players will have some minor pause/skipping problems. The burns are fine on Layer 0, but the beginning quarter, let's say of Layer 1 is problematic. Hopefully, this can be corrected with future firmware revisions. I have not tried the new 1.W8 firmware as I'm unsure as to whether there were any changes made since 1.W7 for the D01. I did not see any significant differences between 1.W6 or 1.W7. I also did not notice a difference with Burning with Decrypter or Imgburn. All of the discs show no CRC Errors, and play perfectly on 3 DVD players and a PC. Minor problems with the PS2 are probably a COMBINATION of a poor player and marginal media.

This settling seems to be a real effect. Regardless of the cause, I cannot deny that on EVERY disc, the movie would skip at first on the PS2 and then gradually improve to minor pausing over the course of a day. Unfortunately, this 'healing' process rolls off around the 1st day, although I'm hopeful that after a month, all these discs will play perfectly on my PS2.

RITEK D01 Grade: Borderline Pass

Recommendations:

I would only purchase these DVD's if you plan to play them exclusively on decent machines. I would wait at least 24 hrs after burning before passing judgement on these discs. I would not purchase these again, as I tend to be anal and the minor pausing on the PS2 bothers me. I will not be returning them however, as my wife (my source for objective opinion) pointed out that they play fine on all but 1 player which only has minor hiccups.

Sure it'd be easier to just replace the originals as they fail, but where's the fun in that?
    Last edited by TNT; 14 Dec 2005, 09:33 AM.
    Beauty is in the eye of the Beer-Holder.
    I'm in shape. ROUND is a shape. - George Carlin

How to choose an HDTV, Step by Step
  • nwg
    Left *****
    • Jun 2003

Originally Posted by TNT

Recommendations:

I would only purchase these DVD's if you plan to play them exclusively on decent machines.
    Good thing I have then.

I have never considered games consoles to be decent DVD players. They can't even compete against a cheap £20 DVD player now.

I do find a bit strange that my Sony NS585 doesn't play any of them (except for one for some reason) whereas, my Sony NS900 plays all of them without any problems. The NS900 does have better components as it was four times the price of the NS585.

I probably won't buy anymore either. I have 10 Datsafe Riteks to be used. If Verbatims were a lot cheaper then I would use those. They are not worth the money at the moment.

Comment

• TNT
      DVD Shrinker
      • Jan 2004

The problem these days with DVD players, is that quality and compatibility do NOT correlate with how much you pay for it.

I agree, right now, the DL Verbatim's are too much for me. At 86.99+4.00 S&H for a 20 pack of inkjet printables, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817130997
      that's $4.55 a disc. At those prices, I would rather replace with originals which average 5 to 20.

I decided to try the RITEKs because they came out to 1.60 a pop and I was itching to burn a DL.

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

been watching these for a while, they stay sold out???????

wonder if they ever even had them?????

Comment

• TNT
          DVD Shrinker
          • Jan 2004

Keep the Bargain Basement Forum Alive!

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

I thought it was a thread, must have been promoted, it could be a virtual forum.

Comment

• TNT
              DVD Shrinker
              • Jan 2004

yeah, unfortunately, it's only in the RMF.

Comment

• nwg
                Left *****
                • Jun 2003

I just found out that the latest DVDInfoPro can scan my discs with the Pioneer 109.

This is the latest burn I have done (Revenge of the Sith). I actually don't know what it means but the 0% rating doesn't look good. However, it plays perfectly in my players except for that NS585 Sony.

Comment

• cornholio7
                  Unavailable
                  • Jun 2005

the ricoh d/l discs seem to be the next best d/l discs after the verbatims

Comment

• nwg
                    Left *****
                    • Jun 2003

Originally Posted by cornholio7
                    the ricoh d/l discs seem to be the next best d/l discs after the verbatims
                    I have a Traxdata DL+R with Ricoh dye for the same money as the Riteks. They maybe worth considering as a alternative. I haven't burned it yet so it might be crap.

Comment

• cornholio7
                      Unavailable
                      • Jun 2005

i 've seen some excellent scans of the ricohs recently, not tried them myself yet

Comment

• nwg
                        Left *****
                        • Jun 2003

I have some excellent +R's and got many +RW's with Ricoh dye which is why I went for it.

Comment

• cornholio7
                          Unavailable
                          • Jun 2005

cant see that picture you posted nwg

Comment

• nwg
                            Left *****
                            • Jun 2003

Originally Posted by cornholio7
                            cant see that picture you posted nwg

Works for me. It's on my webspace.