X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikeey
    • Apr 2003

DVD Architect Question

Hi

I'm using DVD Architect (Sonic Foundry) to authorize my dvd movies.

My file is 4,62GB, but when using it in DVD-A it takes 126% out of a 4,7GB DVD-R... why?

In the app the estimated size goes to 6032,3 MB with PCM Stereo sound.

How come it's not 4,62GB and will fit onto a DVD-R?

Thanx for any ideas!

/mikeey
  • kevin abq
    • Jul 2002

I think you have two problems here - correct me if I'm wrong. You've got a discrepancy on what will fit on one DVD. And you have a huge bloating that happens when you select PCM audio. Right?

Problem one: This one confuses a lot of people. The companies market DVD burners as being "4.7 GB".That's stretching the truth. In reality it's only 4.38GB when using the correct definition for what a gigabyte is, according to computer convention. Computers use numbers that are powers of two, like 2,4,8,16,32,64,etc. A "kilobyte" is 2 to the tenth power, or 1024. A gigabyte is 1,073,741,824 bytes, or two to the thirtieth power. The confusion comes in when the vendors, trying to make their capacity sound like as much as possible, use one billion bytes and call it "gigabytes". In reality their "gigabyte" is over 73 megabytes less than the industry-standard "gigabyte". That's why when a drive says 4.7GB, it's really 4.7 BILLION bytes, and is in reality 4.38 true GB.

So your 4.62 "gigabyte" file is really that size, but it is too large to fit because a DVD will only hold 4.38 gigabytes.

I hope that didn't confuse you more . I get steamed when I think of the money-grubbing whores in sales departments who just outright lie to sell something. In this case, it's just fraud, but they all do it.

Problem two - Selecting PCM audio. Why would you do this? PCM, or "LPCM" is uncompressed audio, much like a WAV file. All DVD players made in the last 4 or 5 years and most that are even older will handle MPEG-1 Layer 2 audio or AC3 (Dolby Digital) audio. Both of these are compressed and take up waaaayyy less space on the disc, with the same quality. The only reason anyone should even consider LPCM is if they are trying to keep compatibility with a specific, very old DVD player.
    Cheers!
    Kevin

Comment

• mikeey
      • Apr 2003

Ahaaa!! I thought I had to have an seperate AC3 file for using AC3 sound...
      That clear things out!!

So using AC3 sound it will be smallest and a little bit bigger with surround...

Thanks!

Comment

• laasds
        • Mar 2004

does any of you know how to pass WAV to AC3 thanks

Comment

• junglebunny
          • May 2004

Conversion

Did you come right with the wav to ac3 conversion?
          I used vegas 5.0 to render my wav file to ac3 and then imported it into my DVD architect project.
          I couldn't get it right converting it in Architect itself.

I could then burn the DVD with architect with 5.1 sound.

If you managed to get it right an easier way, please let me know as it is a mission doing it my way.

Comment

Working...