Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Angie
    • Jan 2002

Movie switching between progressive and interlaced

I'm trying to encode Jay & Silent Bob. The movie starts out interlaced for the credits, goes progressive to about halfway, switches to interlaced, only to go progressive for the end of the movie, then interlaced for credits and progressive for the end piece.

Should I turn on the DiVX codec deinterlace filter for the whole thing in Flask, or do I have to convert it to a huge, very high quality avi, then use VirtualDub to pick it apart, deinterlace the individual pieces, put it back together, and reencode?
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

You might as well frameserve with DVD2AVI or Avisynth to Virtualdub and load up the deinterlace filter. That will do the job more cleanly and within a shorter time.

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

Using Flask, just set it to "Deinterlace" for the entire movie...

Comment

• Angie
        • Jan 2002

Originally posted by setarip
        Using Flask, just set it to "Deinterlace" for the entire movie...
        I ran it, and at the point where it switches from progressive to interlaced near the end of the movie, the video gets very jerky, not like it lacked processor power (Athlon 1333/512 MB DDR), but every second or so the video jerks.

Very strange.

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

Did you put a checkmark in "Reconstruct Progressive Images" (under the "Video" tab)?

Comment

• grif_mcrenolds
            • Jan 2002

Some DVDs are done so poorly that it doesn't want to choose weather it's progressive or interlaced.
            Solution for decent, free TV:
            http://www.waycross.org/

Comment

• bebotmagnet
              • Nov 2001

were u able to encode jay and silent bob properly using any of the advised techniques?

Comment

• grif_mcrenolds
                • Jan 2002

DivX 5.0 has some new dinterlacing options that could help. I think the features deal with issues like this. I encoded some stuff with it and got amazing quality.

Comment

• Angie
                  • Jan 2002

Originally posted by bebotmagnet
                  were u able to encode jay and silent bob properly using any of the advised techniques?
                  No, I was going to encode the separate parts, but now I'm getting DiVX 5 Pro to see how that works.

Comment

• grif_mcrenolds
                    • Jan 2002

The interlacing problem could have to do with inverse telecline. When a movie is transfered from film (24 fps) to NTSC (29.97 fps), they use a system called telecline that reduces the framerate to 23.976, then adds some duplicated frames in to fill the second. That's why some movies look jerky. But sometimes, the deinterlacer can't deinterlace those extra frames. So try using a IVTC deinterlacer. DivX 5 Pro comes with one, but I haven't been able to get it to work.

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

I successfully converted ALL of this video by doing it in two pieces, using Flask v.0.594PX3, after selecting "Load DVD" and selecting the first listed .IFO, as follows:

Up through 15:30 of Vts_01_3.vob (approximately 54:00 minutes into the entire movie), I used video settings of 23.976fps, Deinterlace (Threshhold 20), Blend instead of interpolate, and Reconstruct Progressive Images.

For the remainder of the video (Run the player, click on "Play", and move the slider to the end of the first section that I just described and click on "Stop"), I used video settings of 23.976fps, Deinterlace(Threshhold 20), Blend instead of interpolate, and DO NOT SELECT Reconstruct Progressive Images.

Comment

• [H]arbinger
                        • Apr 2002

I too have been having the same problems as Angie . So here I am . I found this thread and what you just said makes sense to me but I don't really know how to go about doing it in two seperate pieces . Could explain to a newbie in a lil more detail please ? ThankYou in advance .

Comment

• setarip
                          Retired
                          • Dec 2001

To [H]arbinger

I'm afraid I can't express it any more simply than my prior post. the only additional item I might add (for clarity) is, when you are ready to save the second part, under the "Files" tab enter a new filename...

Comment

• [H]arbinger
                            • Apr 2002

This is probably a stupid question then . But this means I will have two files that has to be joined ? If so how would this be accomplished without any sync problems or anything ?
                            I did figure out how to do the seperate encoding for both parts tho

Comment

• setarip
                              Retired
                              • Dec 2001

To [H]arbinger

As my Dad used to say, "The only stupid question is the one you don't ask".

Congratulations on successfully creating the two .AVI files ;>}

To join them (and they should stay in synch), use VirtualDub as follows:

1) Set both "Audio" and "Video" to "Direct Stream Copying"

2) Load the first .AVI

3) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Append AVI" and load the second file

4) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Save as AVI" and enter a new filename for your joined .AVI

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

Working...