Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forumadm/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forumadm/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forumadm/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forumadm/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forumadm/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forumadm/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Amazon Android App Store's DRM: Too Draconian? - Digital Video Forums

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amazon Android App Store's DRM: Too Draconian?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Amazon Android App Store's DRM: Too Draconian?

Amazon is launching its own Android app store soon, and on their developer's blog, information regarding the DRM scheme has been posted, and some are saying it's way too harsh.

The most notable part of the blog post, re-posted below, seems to indicate an Ubi-DRM style where users needs to be "signed in" when they use the app:

Originally Posted by amazonappstoredev.com
    Any app that has Amazon DRM applied to it will require users to have installed and signed-in to the Amazon Appstore client to access the app. When an app is accessed by the user, it will verify with the Amazon Appstore device service as to whether the user has an entitlement to the app. If the user does not sign in or does not have an entitlement to that app, then the app will not be usable. However, any user can gain an entitlement by purchasing the app through Amazon.
    After the expected public backlash, Amazon has clarified their position, and the DRM looks a lot less draconian. First of all, DRM usage is strictly optional. This is in-line with the official Google Market policy (although Market also makes sure free apps cannot use their down DRM framework). As for Ubi-DRM style always on DRM checking, that's not the case either. What will happen is that a token is downloaded with the app at purchase, and this token can be used to validate the app in offline mode for a certain unspecified period, before the token needs to be updated again (via the Internet).

So it seems Amazon's Appstore DRM is slightly more complicated than Google's official DRM, but also very similar in the way it works.

More:

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

I'm really surprised that Amazon would do something like this, I've used them for music and software downloads because of their lack of DRM.

Sure, everybody knows about Amazon MP3, but they also have the games and software downloads now, I've bought a few PC games from them, and they literally let you download the contents of a retail CD, and upon setup there's no activation, no nothing. Even games that usually have disc-checks have that stripped out in Amazon's version. AND, they say if your CD key no longer works due to using it already, you can just suggest a new one. (Their policy says you can install the software on as many PCs as you want)

So I'm really surprised to see Amazon doing something that has DRM in it. I have an Android phone but I may hold off on using this service unless they drop the DRM.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• Digitalboy
      Hello
      • Feb 2011

Not to worry there is plenty of software out there that breaks DMR for the product you have paid good money for.

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

I think they're doing it because developers are sort of demanding it really, because app piracy on Android is pretty rampant. Google has a similar system in place already (since last year), so it's nothing new, and it's optional (so it's up to developers to decide whether to use the DRM or not), unlike iOS app DRM.
        Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• drfsupercenter
          NOT an online superstore
          • Oct 2005

Piracy on anything is gonna happen. There's lots of iPhone piracy too, you just have to jailbreak the phone to do it.

Oh well, I think I'll stick to just getting my apps through the marketplace for now.
          CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
          Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
          My DVD Collection

Comment

• Budreaux
            • Jan 2006

The apps are cheap for the Android regardless where you get them..the App Store is the easiest. I'll admit, I'm the type that would look for the hacked version of anything to try it out first, but with the Android Market and the prices, there is just no need to do that.
            On another note, Android has finally taken over the iPhone for Q4......

Comment

• Digitalboy
              Hello
              • Feb 2011

I think we all knew that Android would over take iphone 4 even apple new that.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎