Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What programs/codecs/methods are the best?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

in case the field deinterlacer fails, try this....

when you get here:

click on EDIT!

now you will be taken to your avisynth script:

+++++
    # Created with Gordian Knot
    #
    # http://thewef.nav.to
    #
    # PLUGINS
    # get them from http://users.win.be/dividee
    LoadPlugin("C:\TOOLS\GORDIA~2\GORDIA~1\mpeg2dec.dl l")
    #LoadPlugin("C:\TOOLS\GORDIA~2\GORDIA~1\decomb.dll ")
    #LoadPlugin("C:\TOOLS\GORDIA~2\GORDIA~1\InverseTel ecine.dll")
    #LoadPlugin("C:\TOOLS\GORDIA~2\GORDIA~1\Avisynth_S patial.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\TOOLS\GORDIA~2\GORDIA~1\GreedyHMA.d ll")
    #LoadPlugin("C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\vobsub.dll")
    #LoadPlugin("C:\TOOLS\GORDIA~2\GORDIA~1\SimpleResi ze.dll")
    #
    # SOURCE
    mpeg2source("E:\dvd\ryan\video_ts\ryan.d2v")
    #
    # TRIM
    trim(0,233893)
    #
    # IVTC
    #Telecide()
    #Decimate(cycle=5)
    # or use
    #InverseTelecine(40,10,15)
    #GreedyHMA(1,0,4,0,0,0,0,0)
    #
    # DEINTERLACING
    #FieldDeinterlace()
    # or use
    #VerticalReduceBy2
    # or maybe
    GreedyHMA(1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0)
    #
    # CROPPING
    crop(5,6,712,560)
    #
    # DENOISING: choose one combination (or none)
    # 1) little noise (fast)
    TemporalSmoother(2,1)
    #
    # 2) medium noise (slow)
    #SpatialSoftenMMX(1,4,6,false,false,4,4,6,8)
    #TemporalSmoother(2)
    #
    # 3) heavy noise (very slow, you have been warned)
    #SpatialSoftenMMX(2,4,6,false,false,4,4,6,8)
    #TemporalSmoother(3)
    #SpatialSoftenMMX(1,4,6,false,false,4,4,6,8)
    #
    # SUBTITLES
    #VobSub("FileName")
    #
    # RESIZING
    SimpleResize(640,344)
    #
    # BORDERS
    #AddBorders(left,top,right,bottom)
    #
    # COMPRESSIBILITY CHECK
    # !!!!Snip Size now has to be 14 for use in GKnot!
    #SelectRangeEvery(280,14)
    #
    # FOOL CCEnc
    #ResampleAudio(44100)

+++++

load greedyhma by deleting the '#' in the load section and ivtc or de-interlacing section as well!

this way you will use greedyhma for de-interlacing/ivtc and it might make a difference!
    Last edited by UncasMS; 22 Jul 2003, 03:33 AM.

Comment

• hacker_on_fire
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Mar 2002

i forgot but whats the differenc ebetween fast and field deinterlace?

HoF
      MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

How 2 post questions correctly
      Look here before posting questions

Comment

• Angie
        • Jan 2002

GKnot rocks!

I switched from the annoyingly common errors and poor quality of Flask and Xmpeg to GKnot a month ago. It's a dream once you get used to it.

Just slowly go through the tutorial once and you're set.

Also the tutorial on doom9 is geared towards making CDs. I never make CDs, just keep the movies on the hard drive. If you want this too, just change the Mode section of the Bitrate tab (top-left) to "Calculate AVI file size." You'll be able to get your final size in the Total File Size just under the DiVX logo.

Play with your Average Bitrate in the area under Total File Size to balance between quality and file size, while keeping an eye on the bits/pixel and quality setting in the compressibility section already posted.

Under the Resolution tab, if you find yourself cropping too much to avoid too much aspect error, switch the W-Modul to 16, 8 or 4 to get just about no aspect error. But something is at the edge of my mind about the DiVX compression routine working best with sizes evenly divisible by 32 (its macro blocks are 32x32??).

I just got a PayPal account, so I'm doing to donate soon to encourage further development of this great tool! (hint, hint for the rest of you)

Comment

• Squeaky
          • Aug 2002

I must admit I'm more please with my initial view of GK than all the one-stop encoders ive tried to date - the only confusion for me is using GK for creating the audio - no matter how many times I re-read the instructions I'm just not sure if im doing this correctly, would anybody be prepared to re-write the audio stage(s) for this method? If it makes any difference I've ripped the AC3 not the pcm.

thanks
          Squeaks

Comment

• bungernut
            • Aug 2002

Whoever Recomended GKnot was dah man

GKnot is awsome, in conclusion i would say 4 quality (not simplicity) GKnot is the way to go, from experience. It lets you set a bunch of jobs up at once and let them all go overnight which is soo cool, Im gonna definetly give the author a little $worth$ to his while (as should everyone who uses the program often).

Thanks to everyone, 4 their help.

Comment

• Angie
              • Jan 2002

Re: Whoever Recomended GKnot was dah man

Yeah, kudos for the batch ability. I've set several movies to go and let it run for a day or so on an AMD 1000. Just fire and forget. But make sure you have enough hard drive space.

For the audio, DVD2AVI will produce an audio file for each audio stream in the DVD. When you go to encode, pick one of them, or two if you want dual streams.

The first one's usually the normal English track (in the U.S.), with the others being other languages or director's comments. To find out for sure, open the .ifo file in XMpeg. You'll get a list of audio tracks to select from. These are ordered the same as the audio tracks DVD2AVI leaves behind (if German's second on the list, that corresponds to the second file that DVD2AVI put out). If you're still not sure which one you want to use, in XMpeg, select "audio player" from the menu. There you can listen to what the tracks are.

BTW, Windows Media Player can't handle the dual audio tracks for playback. I've found Zoom player (www.inmatrix.com) works great.

Comment

• UncasMS
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2001

windows media player 6.4 handles bilingual audio just fine.

you'll have to have morgan stream switcher installed, thats all!

Comment

• hacker_on_fire
                  Digital Video Expert
                  Digital Video Expert
                  • Mar 2002

i prefer doing audio this way:

1) rip it using Vob2Audio to .wav format (do this seperately cos 2 appz reading from the same files can casue errors.
                  2) encode with either wavelab or besweet or if u want to try the wma format which i recommend for 128kb/s or less u can use the windows encoder

thats it, then u can multiplex in Gknot

Comment

• UncasMS
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2001

then u can multiplex in Gknot
                    it is not GK that does the muxing - it is NANDUB

Comment

• hacker_on_fire
                      Digital Video Expert
                      Digital Video Expert
                      • Mar 2002

when i said "in" i meant that u tell gk to multiplex the audio and video when its finished encoding (using nandub)

sorry for the confusion

Comment

• Glanz
                        • Aug 2002

is greedy hma for pal material only

Comment

• UncasMS
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2001

NO

+++++++++++++++++++

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
                          // Readme_GreedyHMA.txt 11-3-2001 www.trbarry.com/GreedyHMA.zip
                          // Copyright (c) 2001 Tom Barry All rights reserved. Version 0.4.0.0
                          //
                          // This file is subject to the terms of the GNU General Public License as
                          // published by the Free Software Foundation. A copy of this license is
                          // included with this software distribution in the file COPYING. If you
                          // do not have a copy, you may obtain a copy by writing to the Free
                          // Software Foundation, 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.
                          //
                          // This software is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
                          // but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
                          // MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
                          // GNU General Public License for more details

GreedyHMA - Greedy (High Motion for Avisynth)

GreedyHMA.dll is an Avisynth filter that executes DScaler's Greedy/HM algorithm code to
                          perform pulldown matching, filtering, and video deinterlace.

Just unzip the contents into your Avisynth directory, or somewhere. As the script shows,
                          I made a subdirectory under Avisynth just to keep it separate.

Following is Bikes.avs, one of the scripts I was testing:

LoadPlugin("d:\AVISynth\GreedyHMA\Debug\GreedyHMA. dll")
                          clip = AVISource("c:\vcr\bikes.avi")
                          return clip.GreedyHMA(1,0,4,0,0,0,0,0)

It specifies the file spec (change yours) and asks for TopFirst and AutoPulldown to be
                          turned on, with decimation (frame dropping) to 24 fps. I've so far tested it only
                          with Avisynth/VirtualDub.

WARNING:
                          Previous to V 0.4.0.0 I was telling everyone that TopFirst almost always work better but
                          that just turned out to be because of a bug in the BottomFirst GreedyHMA code. So you
                          should verify any previous tests here. Some folks were getting unnecessary weave or
                          deinterlace artifacts because of this.

On some sources I get slightly better results with TopFirst on (say HDTV captures) but others
                          are better with it off. I notice it's possible to run 2 copies of Vdub and do a frame by frame
                          compare. There doesn't seem to be to much difference but a still compare of two frames (look at
                          diagonals) will usually show one to be better. You can just look at the VirtualDub inputs
                          for this. It's not necessary to actually create any output files yet.

For Versio 0.4.0.0 I've added two new filter scripts to the zip to tell for sure whether you
                          should use TopFirst. Modify the BottomFirst.avs script to point to your file and load it
                          into VirtualDub. Then single step a few frames. Ignore the single line up and down jitter
                          but watch to see if every other frame seems to go backwards. If so you probably need TopFirst.
                          Try the TopFirst.avs script to verify that. Neither of these two scripts depends upon GreedyHMA.

After finding the correct TopFirst setting (T=0 or 1) then the apply the following guidelines,
                          substituting the TopFirst setting for 'T'.

If you think you have mostly film source, or DVD2AVI says so, then use:

GreedyHMA(T,0,5,0,0,0,0,0) # which is Force Film+Decimation to 24 fps.

If you have all video, use:

GreedyHMA(T,0,0,0,0,0,0,0) # for 30 FPS output (25 FPS PAL), or
                          GreedyHMA(T,0,3,0,0,0,0,0) # for 24 FPS output

and when you don't know, don't care, or it's all mixed up, just make it auto:

GreedyHMA(T,0,4,0,0,0,0,0) # the all purpose most automatic setting (NTSC), or
                          GreedyHMA(T,0,1,0,0,0,0,0) # the all purpose most automatic setting (PAL)

Other switches can be added as below:

GreedyHMA Parm list:

return clip.GreedyHMA(TopFirst, SwapFields, AutoPullDown,
                          MedianFilter, VerticalFilter, EdgeEnhance
                          GoodPullDownLvl, BadPullDownLvl)

All the values are integer, 0=no, 1=yes:

TopFirst - assume the top field, lines 0,2,4,... should be displayed first.
                          The default is the supposedly more common BottomFirst but on ATSC captures
                          from my WinTV-HD card TopFirst still works better for me.

SwapFields - for busted capture drivers that put lines 1,3,5.. over
                          lines 0,2,4...

AutoPullDown - Sets what types of Pulldown processing is desired.
                          Valid parm values are:

0 - No pulldown, just do pure deinterlace (Force Video). Doesn't drop
                          any frames so FPS is left at 30 FPS, or wherever. Doesn't decimate
                          (pentimate?). Use if you have (and want) 30 fps video source or
                          maybe 25 FPS PAL video.

1 - Auto Pulldown. Automatically decide which frames should be IVTC'd
                          or deinterlaced, depending upon the settings of the Good and Bad
                          Pulldown Lvls (see below). Don't decimate. This is best if you
                          have mixed film and video and wan't 30 fps output. Also better
                          for PAL sources.

2 - Pulldown only (Force Film). Assume film source, always do IVTC and
                          never deinterlace. Don't decimate. Use for PAL film source.

Values 3-5 match those above but with frame dropping (Decimation, pentimation?)
                          Five frames at a time are looked at and the one most likely to be a duplicate
                          is dropped, thus lowering the FPS from, say, 30 to 24.

3 - Deinterlace (Force Video) but with frame dropping. Use for NTSC video
                          if you still want to decimate. With video source there really are no
                          proper fields to drop, but this will drop the ones looking most like
                          dupes.

4 - Auto Pulldown with frame dropping. The best (most automatic) setting.
                          Works in most cases, at least if I get all the bugs out.

5 - Pulldown only (Force Film) with frame dropping. This will give the best
                          results if you have 100% properly mastered NTSC film source with no
                          video sections and not too many edits. It can adjust for most scene
                          changes and changes in pulldown cadence, but not mixed up fields.

I haven't tried to see what's best with all this yet. Pulldown stuff's still
                          not perfect. But unless you're certain, you can often leave this on 4 (Auto).
                          It should still handle high motion video sports ok. If it falls into
                          deinterlace mode too often during film processing you can try raising the
                          Bad Pulldown Level a bit.
                          Last edited by UncasMS; 14 Aug 2002, 11:33 AM.

Comment

• Glanz
                            • Aug 2002

ok thank u

Comment

• Glanz
                              • Aug 2002

uncas u are truly a bad ass when it comes to divx thanks, now my deinterlacing lines are gone thanks to ur fix ive got my movie and it looks great thanks everyone else too that gave me help i appreciate it everyone

Comment

• UncasMS
                                Super Moderator
                                • Nov 2001

it aint MY fix

i'm just a plain user of this fine software!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎