X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stuart21
    • Aug 2002

Video/Audio Sync

Help!!!!
    I am having serious problems decoding and converting several dvds….I have experimented with different programs, trawled forums and downloaded all sorts of codecs….

I am running Xp home on a P4 1.9ghz, 512mb Rdram, Geforce4 440ti with TDK cyclone 32x Rewriter and separate DVD rom

Software:
    Flaskmeg 0.594
    Smartripper 2.41
    Advanced bitrate calc 0.904
    Virtualdub 1.410
    Windvd 4.0.5.20

I can extract the DVD to h/d (although I get an aspi warning sometimes) using smartripper and windvd.

I then use advanced bitrate calc to work out the bitrate using 96 kb/s 44100hz single channel stereo sound and tell it I want a single cd sized file ( I always get a file 200 mb bigger ?! )

I think everything up to now is ok - although pleases correct me with any pointers-I am a Newbie!

Using Flaskmpeg I open dvd file and it detects all vobs w/o any problem, I select 0x80 audio file.
    In options/output format options I select the Divx 5.01 codec and under ‘configure’ I leave all settings to default and 1-pass
    I then select the audio codec – mpeg layer 3 and 96 kbps44100hz stereo lame 11 kb/sec sound – Why does flaskmpeg never keep his option if I go back into audio codec options later on?
    I ok everything along the way and then open ‘global project options’ – compile whole file is ticked, 25 fps (PAL) width720x576 is left untouched: decode audio and 44100hz ticked on audio tab; HQ bib filtering ticked, keep aspect ratio, no letterboxing and no crop ticked; because I’m saving as separate files I only put one file path in under the ‘files’ tab

< GASP FOR BREATH! >

I start conversion and wait 4-5 hours…. I pretty much always get a full file but the audio always seems to be both out of sync and stretched… NB usually the video is good quality.
    I have tried using different codecs – I think I’m using Radium mpeg 3; and played around with trying to do streaming and produce separate video and audio (AC3) files (when I did this the video was terrible quality)
    Is there any pointers that anyone can give me – I’d read guides about re-syncing the audio to the video and the dealing with the stretch but SURELY there must be a way to rip without having to do this every time ( I haven’t tried it yet but given the avi’s I’ve got and the fact that some of them are up to 5 secs wrong one end I can just see a host of heartache coming my way if I attempt it )

Suggestions of any alternative software that doesn’t give this problem would be most appreciated too…I’ sorry I’ve been long-winded but thought too much inf better than not enough!!!
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

stuart21,

if you want some pieces of advices, here they are:

- dont use flask - use gordianknot!!!

- dont let flask handle mp3 - create that mp3 audiostream separately or let gordianknot handle it!!!!

- dont use divx 5.01 - use the improved 5.02 version!!!!!

- dont use a SINGLE pass routine - TWO passes are way better; ecspecially for a 1cd rip

for a guide or download of the tools mentioned, click on the anigif

Comment

• stuart21
      • Aug 2002

Many thanks I'll give it a try......and repost later to let you know how I got on....

Any other help always appreciated

Comment

• stuart21
        • Aug 2002

Ok here goes....

I've used all the packages included with the Gordian Knot download...
        I've ripped to h/d, used Dvd2avi, Divx 5 etc etc...evrthing looked ok ( except it didn't give me any result on the compressability test?).... I left it converting overnight and checked both video files this morning....

It has converted the AC3 to MP3 and if played on its own it sounds ok....BUT and you'll love this!

The Video files both play, however THE VIDEO IS UPSIDE DOWN AND BACKWARDS and has no sound!? also its quite low quality...
        I followed everthing on the guide you posted.

Help!!??? (please)

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎