Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tigertank
    • Aug 2002

Creating A VCD

I currently have an anolohue camcorder and a cable to connect it to my PC via the USB port. I am able to store video on board and edit and store to CD. I have tried saving in varying formats , mpeg-1, mpeg-2, and avi to CD, to play on my Sony DVD player however i cannot get it to work. I do not know whether it is the type of CD's i use but when i burnt audio onto the same CD it worked. The DVD player is VCD and CD/R/RW compatiable. Can anyone help?
  • Nielchiano
    • Aug 2002

To make this work, you have to create a disc which is compatible with your DVD player. You state that it is VCD (an probably SVCD) and DVD compatible, so you'll have to create one of those formats.

A VCD is not just a regulat (data) CD with the a file on it which happens to end with ".avi" and happens to be encoded in MPEG-1. A VCD (and SVCD and DVD) DOES contain an MPEG-1 (or 2) video, but inside a structure.

The easiest way to make something good for your DVD player is in SVCD. (VCD will also work, but is worse in quality).

I made my first SVCD using Nero (to burn) and TEMPEGenc (Plus) (to encode to MPEG2.

Since you already know how to encode, i'll skip that step (but be sure to encode to one of the predifined standard (use TMPEG's wizard), or the disc will not play (or will be rejected by Nero).

To burn, simply start NERO and tell him to make a SVCD. He'll make your structures/indices/directories/... for you, so you don't have to worry.

You'll see that the actual video file is not at all a .avi, but (If I remember well) a .dat (from data).

cheerz,
    Nielchiano
    We were all newbies once... and we all needed some help once, so lets once help the newbies.

Comment

Working...