Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cornelius456
    • Dec 2001

Music video?

Hey I'm becomming involved with digital video because I'm making a music video of sorts. I'm ripping a dvd and converting it to DiVX so that I can edit it and put various scenes together. There will be a separate song that will go along with these images. The problem is that I'm heavily editing this movie and it will be very fast-paced, which means that there will be many small scenes put together which have to correlate exactly with the song I'm going to play with them. Therefore timing is very very important. I'm planning on using virtualdub, but is there a better program that will allow me to easily edit many small scenes of video and one song together so that they match up exactly? Am I doing this correctly?
  • phoenixmgs
    • Dec 2001

I suggest, if you have a digital camcorder, to hook up your dvd player output cords to your digital camcorder input and record the movie onto the digital camcorder (this will probably take up more than one digital tape). This will give much better quality for your music video. Then connect your digital camcorder to your computer and import the movie onto the computer (you will need video editing software for this). If you have Sony Vaio or an Imac (Imovie is the best software for newbies and it is also very good overall too) video editing software came with it. If you dont I really suggest buying some (for example, Dazzle, but I have no idea how good it is) because it would make it a hole lot easier and if you plan to do this more than once. Using VirtualDub would very painstaking. If you dont have a digital camcorder you'll have convert the divx file to something that the video editing software supports. I assume you have a PC but if you dont have a Vaio try to buy, if possible, MovieShaker, it lets import and edit mpegs which is great. Windows movie maker only lets you import one type of format for editing and I doubt there is a program that coverts any video format to the one movie maker uses. But if you do have a digital camcorder movie maker should be just fine. If you plan to continue making videos get some editing software. Doing it using vitrualdub or other editor that lets you edit only one or two clips at a time will be very frustrating and take a lot of time. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by phoenixmgs; 20 Dec 2001, 05:50 PM.

Comment

• Cornelius456
      • Dec 2001

Yeah thanks this helps a lot. I don't have a digital video camcorder but it's good to know that I can do that. I actually will be able to get my hands on a full version of adobe premiere. I hear it is very comprehensive, although somewhat in-depth and hard for beginners. If that doesn't work though out I'll check out your suggestions. Thanks.

Comment

• richardvictor
        • Jul 2002

Any other options in making music video?

I'm also interested in making music videos with footage from DVDs. I have access to a digital tape deck to copy the movie to, but the only outputs from the DVD player I have are composite and s-video. I would like to keep this all digital.

Is there a way to rip the VOB files to my computer and then edit and make clips from it? Like Cornelius mentioned timing is important so I can't just cut at keyframes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Comment

• krytonix
          • Apr 2003

what i'm planning on doing is encoding with divx at high bitrate and ALL KEYFRAMES. this way timing can be followed exactly. afterwards, i'm going to encode at lower bitrate and with regular keyframes in order to get a reasonable file-size. I've tested this out, and i've found very little image quality degradation.

Comment

Working...