Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rowlf
    • Dec 2001

Too many codecs

Which codecs should be banned then? I think wmv-films are too slow in the handling (takes "hours" when you jump to a scene). Real and mov-players are too slow by startup.
    The best working combination for me is divx and the old MS Mediaplayer 6.4.
    Wmv
    0%
    Real
    0%
    Mov
    0%
    Divx
    0%
    Old avi
    0%
  • Northstar
    • Dec 2001

Don't jump too soon. Realplayer has come out with a new product that is very good. It seems to be able to handle a large variety of codecs very well. I do think the industry needs some kind of standardization. Banning products might lead to stagnation of development and none of us really want that. Hackers are after all the cutting edge in many ways.

Comment

• ShieldWolf
      • Nov 2001

How can you sit here in this forum, which at it's root is about taking back choice from those that would control what we watch, and talk about banning things?

You are an ass

Comment

• Mikez
        • Jan 2002

Northstar...

PLease, please please.... Don't even mention real networks...

Whenever I hear that name I become aggresive.

Their software sucks, it's full of spyshit and other stuff to use your information.

They should ban their software...

Mike

Comment

• Batman
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Jan 2002

Real Networks, produces real crap. The new REALONE is a real drain on older PC's. Furthermore, the REAL format is horrible, both in terms of quality and compression. Quicktime, is basically dead, except at disney.com where it lives on-line. Quicktime, has many problems, especially with backwards compatability. Plus, it has really stringent copyright. It's basically used at some corporate sites. REAL and Quicktime should disappear. Personally, I prefer MPEG--because its universal. I'd like to see the new DIVX codec, and Microsoft new media encoder, MPEG 1, and 2 remain. I hope that VBR will gain increasing prominence and greater emphasis will be placed on quality.

Comment

• TheShadow091
            • Jan 2002

everything ive seen so far from real looks like crap underwater. quicktime is now just a nusance. ive seen it used on maybe 2 websites and those stupid cd-extra things with the lame videos. and while im in a bad mood > i really cant stand microsoft's proprietary bullcrap. wmv and asf files are really annoying because theres hardly anything to do with them. divx and the mpegs are all DV needs to survive.
            -TheShadow

"Chance favors the prepared mind"
            -Houdini

Comment

• Simon T
              • Nov 2001

VCD

I think the best codec is just the old mpg 1.0. VCD's which we call it. When you look at the quality, there are better codecs but when you just look to the compatibility, it's just the best.
              There aren't som many variables, so when you make it, you may be sure it will work on your neighbour's pc.

And the biggest advantage is: DVD-players can handle them and play them!!
              Still standing... ...also after the forumcrash )

Comment

• TheShadow091
                • Jan 2002

I agree with Simon T on the point that VCD 1.0 is very VERY compatable with almost anything. Standalone can now handle Mpeg-1, 2, and 3, hopefully soon 4 will catch on. Even if DivX isnt fully Mpeg-4 compliant, there are XviD and several others. VCD has horrible quality and so much is lost!

-TheShadow

"Chance favors the prepared mind"
                -Houdini

Comment

• Simon T
                  • Nov 2001

Thanx for your support!

Heil to the VCD!!
                  Still standing... ...also after the forumcrash )

Comment

• virtualXTC
                    • Mar 2002

what happened to Vivo?

alright - wanted to start with REAL SUCKS!!!! who thinks any other way should stop sucking bill gates d*ck (casue they probably think window is great too) and go see a shrink

my question is - what happened to Vivo format?

from what I rember it use to be a quater of the size of any real file, and it had comparible quality. I always use to choose it - cause at least the size of the file mathced the quality... oh well I guss I'm probably the only retard that downloaded titanic while it was still in theaters.

-Jason

Comment

• conda
                      • Mar 2002

The one fil type that sucx is Mov and real thats crap
                      William Conrad Röntgen inveted the X-ray

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎