Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dRanged
    • Sep 2002

Does Xvid actually look decent??

Can someone *please* give me an explaination of how the Xvid codec is supposed to look decent? Playback is very pixelated, blocky, and it's a few steps down in quality compared to divx5, 3.11 etc. I have googled extensively and all I can find is "You don't know how to use it" elitism, but no actual explaination of *how* a decent picture is obtained? I'm for Open Source in a big way but not if the quality of videos encoded is not comparable to the commercial alternatives. I am using the straight X-vid codec.. not the fddshow

Thanks.
  • Blodo
    • Sep 2002

Well, I have the XviD DVD rip of the Episode II AOTC, and it looks flat out amazing. So I would say yes, it can look phenomenal. I also just recently downloaded disc 1 of the Blade II DVD, which is also an XviD rip, it too looks astouding. Maybe that's because these are DVD rips from reference quality DVDs they look so good.

Comment

• dRanged
      • Sep 2002

Well, just so we're on an equal footing here, if you compare the Spiderman rip (which is not Xvid) and the Star Wars (which is), the Spiderman is obviously much better quality. Whether the bad playback is due to bad encoding decisions, or poor playback preferences (I only have six options to play with) I do not know.
      But Star Wars looks rubbish! It's blocky as, and in comparison to the Spiderman rip it's like watching a VCD.

Perhaps though, the xvid codec I installed does not have the post-processing options which are available in directshow.. so that could be the reason why it looks rubbish.

Comment

• Blodo
        • Sep 2002

Obviously we have different rips done by different people. Because my AOTC XviD rip blows Spidey out of the water in terms of quality, and is even better than Blade II, which isn't XviD. It's a divx. Mine doesn't exhibit the problems you mention. So I have no idea why there are differences.

Comment

• Leviathan
          • Sep 2002

ive just downloaded the The New Guy XviD DVDRip and installed the XviD codec ver 04092002-1 and the movie quality dident look as good as divx movies of this size and also it was a bit jumpy.
          Last edited by Leviathan; 16 Sep 2002, 02:08 AM.

Comment

• DeMaRcUs
            • Sep 2002

Different Rips

Keep in mind there are different rips of all of these movies. I have the 2 CD 700mb/each rip of Episode II. I also know there is a rip that is ~100mb a piece. So, everyone could be looking at something different. The rip of EP2 is great quality, except for a color problem, which I believe is in my codec. If anyone know how to fix this please goto the Playback portion of the XViD forum.

Comment

• Blodo
              • Sep 2002

I also have the XviD rip that consists of 2 700 meg vids. Actually, I believe the exact sizes are 699 and 698 megs each. Mine looks phenomenal. I can't speak for other versions.

Comment

• Runner23
                • Oct 2002

speaking of ep II- the grphics quality IS great. But how do you make the sound work- I hear nothing

Comment

• DeMaRcUs
                  • Sep 2002

Fix Sound...

You need to get the right codec, download the Nimo Codec Pack and u should get sound.

Comment

• divxcollector
                    • Feb 2002

I have several Divx movies with different sizes, and they all look shitty when you compare them with ones made with divx3 or 5. It's noisy, blocky and dark in video quality.

XviD ruins the pleasure of watching the latest movies since the ripper groups like deity started to use this codec. I hope these groups understand that they are making a mistake by using XviD soon.

I hate XviD!

Comment

• doubloshoe
                      • Oct 2002

ive downloaded so far three movies in xvid Starwar2 ep 2, Resevoir dogs, and Austin powers 3 DVD rip all of them have some tight ass quality theyre beautiful i dont know why your complaining. Try this download the latest binary from http://www.roeder.goe.net/~koepi/xvid.shtml that should work

Comment

• Hendersson
                        • Oct 2002

Originally posted by dRanged
                        Well, just so we're on an equal footing here, if you compare the Spiderman rip (which is not Xvid) and the Star Wars (which is), the Spiderman is obviously much better quality. Whether the bad playback is due to bad encoding decisions, or poor playback preferences (I only have six options to play with) I do not know.
                        But Star Wars looks rubbish! It's blocky as, and in comparison to the Spiderman rip it's like watching a VCD.

Perhaps though, the xvid codec I installed does not have the post-processing options which are available in directshow.. so that could be the reason why it looks rubbish.
                        I totally agree with dRanged. The quality of Star Wars Ep2(CD1 699MB, CD2 698MB) was really crappy compared to Spiderman(CD1 700MB, CD2 699MB). But after I installed the latest Nimco Codec Pack the quality of the Ep2 got much better. I don't know know why but it did.

Comment

• divxcollector
                          • Feb 2002

I installed the latest Xvid codec from the link doubloshoe gave me. It didn't make any difference, the video still looks like shit but I'm agree that there's a problem about the directshow filter.

Which codec did you installed from Nimo and made XviD look decent?

Comment

• Hendersson
                            • Oct 2002

Well, I downloaded Nimo5.0Build8 and when installing I chose the "basic" installation which is actually the default one.

Comment

• murrayd
                              • Oct 2002

xvid is not worse than divx

I have Excel Saga (ep. 1) (an anime series) and I haven't noticed any artifact during the show. It bright and clear. So, supposing that the encoder knew something about encoding, and the movie is large enough for its length, it MUST be the viewer who has the problem somewhere (buggy codec build, buggy windows...)

Comment

Working...