• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Batman
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2002

Unable to copy svcd's or vcd's to harddisk

I am unable to copy svcd files (avseq01.mpg) or vcd files (avseq01.dat) to my harddisk on my P3 laptop running Windows 2000 Professional. Each attempt, I recieve an error message "invalid MS-DOS function". These svcd's and vcd's play on my friend's system (which has a dvd/cd-rw combo drive) with Powerdvd in windows xp. When I try to play the svcd's or vcd's F(from cd drive) in Powerdvd on my laptop it simply jams up.

I also upgraded to the latest ASPI layer yet that did not seem to solve the problem.

From vcdhelp.com
    "In order to play VideoCD's on a PC (or even copy the dat files from a VideoCD in the CDROM drive to the PC's disk) you have to have the virtual device driver SCSI1HLP.VXD in Window's \SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS directory; otherwise, the file structure will not be recognized by Windows. My file was there but some program had changed it's extension. After renaming and rebooting, my VideoCD's now run without a hitch."

SCSIHLP.VXD exists in winnt/system32/iosubsys directory.

I would appreciate any help in resolving this issue
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Just curious - are you able to copy simple data files (NOT related to VCDs or SVCDs) from a CD to your hard drive?

Comment

• Batman
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Jan 2002

Thank you for your response Yes, I am able to succesfully copy other data files such as avi's to harddrive. I can also play "vanilla" mpeg 2, mpeg1 files or divx files from cd and harddrisk without problems.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

This would appear to indicate that your CD player/burner is simply having a problem reading the specific disk(s).

Do you have a CD player or burner? If a burner, can you successfully burn and play your own VCDs and/or SVCDs? If a player only, I 'd suggest that you try some VCDs burned on a drive other than the one that was used to create the "problem" disk(s).

Although I've never come across it myself, I guess the possibility exists that your CD drive (if a player only), similar to some older standalone DVD players, may not be capable of recognizing burned VCDs and/or SVCDs.

Comment

• Batman
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Jan 2002

Thank you for your insight Setarip. I only have a cd player. I will try another to play another vcd/svcd on my laptop burned from a different computer. Perhaps my laptop is unable to recognize these formats.

I burn the vcd's/svcd's on my PC. These svcd's/vcd's work at a friends place on powerdvd.
          Last edited by Batman; 10 Sep 2002, 11:04 PM.

Comment

• divx lover
            • Sep 2002

same problem

i have a WIN XP it can run some of the VCDs i have but some of them it can't . just like in batman's case but the error message this time is :
            cannot copy AVseq01: the reques could not be prformed because of an I/O device error.

not that all these vcds run fine in my brother's pc also with WIN XP

Comment

• Batman
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Jan 2002

What player have you tried? You may want to try wmp 6.4
              According to some people, a dvd drive is required to play svcd' and vcd's.

Comment

• kr0-n0s
                • Sep 2002

What player have you tried? You may want to try wmp 6.4. According to some people, a dvd drive is required to play svcd' and vcd's.
                Not true. I burn SVCDs for a friend of mine who doesn't have a DVD player. All he needed was a player that recognised (non US spelling ) the MPEG-2 format such as Power DVD, etc.

- kr0

Comment

• Batman
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Jan 2002

Originally posted by kr0-n0s
                  Not true. I burn SVCDs for a friend of mine who doesn't have a DVD player. All he needed was a player that recognised (non US spelling ) the MPEG-2 format such as Power DVD, etc.

- kr0
                  If only svcd's would work on my W2k I would be in heaven I was referring to a post, in which a person wrote that he was unable to play svcd's he burned in his cd-rw but he could play it in his dvd drive. Strange stituation though...

Comment

• synchron
                    • Nov 2001

Instead of using the Windows OS to copy the file, why don't ytou do it at a lower copying level and use Isobuster?? This will get the file on the hard disk regardless of the drivers needed to do this in Explorer.

Comment

• Batman
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Jan 2002

Originally posted by synchron
                      Instead of using the Windows OS to copy the file, why don't ytou do it at a lower copying level and use Isobuster?? This will get the file on the hard disk regardless of the drivers needed to do this in Explorer.
                      Please explain how this would work. For instance, suppose I have an svcd file (burned disc NOT bin and cue files) what is the procedure I should use with Winiso. Your help is greatly appreciated

Comment

• synchron
                        • Nov 2001

Very Simple. Download Isobuster from www.isobuster.com. When you run it, it detects your VCD/SVCD and displays the proper File structure. You go into the MpegAV folder or wherever the AVSEQ.DAT or MPG file exists and use the 'Extract user Data' command by right-clicking. Then save it to disk - that simple.

This worked for me when I had copy problems which cleared up when I reformatted and installed Win98 again. I still use Isobuster because many movies d'led from the net are in .bin format and when I burn them like that they sometimes don't play on my Apex DVD player. So by extracting the bin I always get a movie I can burn ala Nero. (I also add menus)

Good luck,

Synchron.

Comment

• Batman
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • Jan 2002

Thanks a bunch Synchron

I'll be sure to check it out. Hoping for positive results

Comment

• Batman
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • Jan 2002

Isobuster was the solution to my problem Everything works fine noe Thanks!

Comment

• synchron
                              • Nov 2001

No problem - and don't forget, even if your system can do a straight copy of the DAT/MPG files from Explorer, doing it ala Isobuster is faster and less prone to errors on the CD media.

Synchron

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎