Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • josanth
    • Sep 2002

Matshita SR-8176 MZ25

Under Dos I executed the DWL2 using MZ25.bin for the Matshita SR-8176 MZ25 in a notebook. I had not made a choise yet fore a certain region. The problem now is that the (upgrated) bios does not recognise the drive as a secondairy master anymore, and I cannot startup with a Cd anymore. Windows XP does recognise the Drive correct, but as a region 1 instead of a region free, or at least a region 2 as I prefer. Can I reverse the steps or can anyone tell me how to make the Bios recognise the Cd/Dvd again.
    When I repeat the proces with Dwl2, the Drive is recognised as secondairy slave (only under dos and not in the Bios).
    Thanks
  • joegib
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Dec 2001

The IDE setting for desktop drives is set by jumpers but for laptop compact drives it is encoded in the firmware. This means that laptop drive firmwares are customised to suit the IDE setup for particular laptop models. Some only have a single IDE bus so the drive must be Primary Slave. Others have 2 IDE buses and require the drive to be Secondary Master. If you flash "Slave" firmware to a drive which needs to be "Master" you get the kind of problems you've suffered. (It's worse if things are the other way round and you flash "Master" firmware to a drive that needs to be "Slave" — then you get an IDE conflict with the hard drive and the laptop won't boot unless you remove the DVD drive from the machine).

The good news is that there is a fix for Matshita drives — have a look at this thread:

So, I suggest you flash MZ25 again adding the additional command switch. Then check that correct operation is restored. Run a DVD to "set" your region. Then flash patched firmware — note that this is version MX25.

Comment

• josanth
      • Sep 2002

Worked

thanks joegib, it worked. Its a secondary master again. It works as a region 1 now and it doesnt change into a region 2 or free, it does come back with the fact that i still have 1 chance to change the code, but it will not change into region 2. but most important that i can use a startup drive again.
      bey, jos

Comment

Working...