Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barny
    • Sep 2002

Help - Im getting sound but no picture

I just got a new PC, and Im trying to download video files off teh internet (avi, mpeg etc). When downladed the file plays in Media Player, but i get a codecs error and whilst teh sound plays perfectly I get no picture.

I remember having the same problem on my old PC, and downloading a small file that fixed the problem (I think it was codecs).

My new PC is running on Windows XP.

Does anyone know how i can get this to work so I see the picture?

Thanks
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

You are most likely missing the necessary codec that is required to play the particular file(s). There are a few ways you can obtain the codec:
    1. Play the file on Windows Media Player, while connected to the internet. WMP will attempt to connect to the internet and download the necessary codec
    2. In the case of DivX content, method (1) will not work and you will need to manually download and install the DivX codec
    3. Provided you know what codec is needed, you might be able to get it from a codec pack, such as Nimo or Tsunami

Comment

• Barny
      • Sep 2002

Please forgive my ignorance as I know nothing about this subject., and im just posting here hoping for help, in terminology I can easily understand.

When the files play I get sound, but no picture. media player doesnt download the missing codecs. How would i knw which codecs are missing? And where would i get them from?

Sorry I have no idea what Nimo or Tsunami are.

I hoped there would be an easy fix to this, as on my old PC Im sure i downloaded one very small file, and poof all the vidoes worked just fine. I just wish I had saved that link, but at the time i didnt consider the implications of getting a new computer and the problem reoccuring.

Thanks for reading this, any help will be appreciated.

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

Check what codec you need by opening each video file in Virtualdub and going to File -> File Information. Once you have determined the codec required, it is a simple matter of searching and downloading the codec.

The codec packs may contain just the ones that you need:
        Nimo
        Tsunami

Comment

• Barny
          • Sep 2002

Thanks for your help Enchater,

I will try your suggestions later today when I get home from work.

Comment

• lexazver
            • Sep 2002

Hey, if u have no pisture and just sound it usually only happens to files with a .avi extension so what u need is divx codec you can get it from www.divx.com/divx or just www.divx.com it should work and also check Windows Media player's updates

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎