Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • r0b0t
    • Oct 2002

avi video downloads wont play in windows media player

I have latest media player running in win ME but avi files downloaded from imesh either dont play or play sound but only display visualisations... ie. no video. This is all avi files so not just corrupted file as mpg nearly always works. From inquiries FAQ media player from 6.1 onwards should play DivX; isn't that right? I dowloaded various DivX codecs and clicked on install but I don't have a clue where the file was loaded or why they don't seem to be accessed by media player. Media player keeps doing auto search for codec on codec server but then just plays sound and no video. Can somebody please give me simple instructions how to play these avi files. Media player says it plays avi but doesn't really do it. How come? How can I check what codecs media player is actually utilising and how to I add codecs that it can utilise?
  • MadMatty
    • May 2002

yes I have encountered the same problem and it seems only to happen when it uses the DIVX 5.XX codec. The reason I say this is that the AVI will play fine when used in the player that came with the 5.02 codec download. May be there is something in the way it is regestered that it wont/does not register the codec for use by media player. I could of course be wrong but that is what it seems like to me. i think if you use Virtual Dub it may indicat what codec was used but not sure on thias either.

Comment

• r0b0t
      • Oct 2002

thanks Madmatty for such quick reply. Unfortunatly I really am something of a complete novice and I don't know what virtual dub is. Is it something I'm likely to already have or do I need to download it from somewhere and what exactly do I do with it when I hav e it? Please be patient with me.

Comment

• MadMatty
        • May 2002

if you go back to the digital digest home page and look in the links in the DIVX page you should find it under software. thats where I got it.

Do you have the DIVX 5.02 codec and player?

Comment

• r0b0t
          • Oct 2002

Sorry if I'm a bit thick but is that a different player to Windows media player. If you say that is better for playing avi I will download it and undcheck the avi format from widows media player. I thought I could get the right codec for windows media player but if I can't I am quite happy to download another player. Which do you think is the best player for playing avi files. Thanks R0b0t

Comment

• MadMatty
            • May 2002

Yes it is, Windows media player will attempt to d/load codec's but if microsoft decide not to recognise a codec then it wont be available for d/load (some of the earlier divx codecks were hacks of microsoft MPEG4 for example). If you d/load and install the codec & player for Divx 5.02 (think this is the latest) then open media player and select the file that wont normal play it may now. if not open it with the new player (it puts an ICON on your desktop) and try it from there. The audio plays because AVI has no fixed standard so it can be made up of all sorts of audio/vidoe codec combinations.

Comment

• r0b0t
              • Oct 2002

Thanks Mad Matty, you've been a great help. I will try to get that new player and see if that solves problem. I have only posted in a few forums before and never before actually got a reply. So this is a first and it may actually have solved my problem. I am really grateful. You have given me new faith in forums. Regards r0b0t.

Comment

• MadMatty
                • May 2002

no problem , we all started somewhere, just wish other users out there remembered. This forums is fairly good I usualy get replies to the few problems I have posted.

Good luck I will keep an eye on this link to se how you get on, Post reply either way as others may also benifit if it works.

Bye from the very wet UK

Comment

Working...