Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • morbo
    • Oct 2002

urgent help - nimo codec installer wrecked codecs

whats happend: i installed Nimo50Build8 codec suite (after uninstalling codecs from add/remove programs), i read the installaion instructions carefully and only installed the codecs, filters etc that i needed....(eg: i didnt install the g400 filter etc)

instansly i came across a problem - all my media players stopped working eg:windows media player 6.4 ,7 , susumisk, winamp3 - none of them would play any DivX, or Misrosoft fast/slow motion mpeg 4 files... even worse my unencoded .mpg files (consisting of mpeg2 video and sound cannot be opened by any of my programs , eg: virtual dub says "MPEG import error - packet synchronisation error" and TMPGEnc says - 'unrecognised format' WE R TALKING MPEG2 streams here ! nothing special , and as soon as nimo installed they all corrupted/went missing. Realising the severity of the situation i uninstalled Nimo , which you'd assume 'should' get rid of all the codecs/filters it installed - WRONG - now that ive installed my mp3, divX5.02 , MS - DIVX codecs again im faced with filter problems! eg: some stupid filter runs whenever i play divX fast/slow motion content rendering them sharply but using 100% cpu resources and desyncing the sound .... this was one of the filters intstalled by nimo - and it DID NOT uninstall..

at the moment i have video work that is very important , my std mpeg2 video/audio doesnt work (only in XMPEG where the audio constantly skipps), theres the strange filter which appears on all divX content and finally, theres various sound codec problems...eg: 2 copies of radium MP3 codec installed....

what i need to do:
    can anyone help me solve this situation?

im guessing it involves weeding through the winnt\system directory deleting the .dll's etc of the codecs.... then im faced with finding the mpeg2 audio-video codec (yes the one used for dvd format) which has always been on my computer since win2k install but is now damaged... (ill need a url to DL it) - not even divx-digest seems to have it....

if all else fails im looking at spending about 48 hours of downtime reinstalling my windows image and updating/installing software.

my conclusion to users: from my experience nimo was horrifying - my existing software didnt even detect most of the codecs it installed, it killed the codecs which come with windows, caused my media playing programs to crash or not recognise formats even though appropriate software is installed... list goes on...
    what i have found most annoying is:
    - according to their 'how to' section u must ensure that u uninstall existing codecs...

"Delete all old version DivX Codecs with the control panel (Add/Del)."

OK this is fine EXCEPT THAT ADD/REMOVE Hardware does NOT have an uninstaller for ANYWHERE NEAR all the various codecs most people have installed on their computer system.... at first i thought... ok this is simply to get people to uninstall their existing version of DivX (the one that comes with tha playa) so they dont have problems with 2 of the same codec installed - obviously it goes allot further than this... what am i supposed to do? uninstall my mpeg2 codec as well (which means deleting the .dll files etc somewhere in the windows directory? - certainly not something a novice could undertake and is risky to say the least because this is STANDARD windows software...)

Moreover the way in which nimo installed the codecs results in reliable and widely used programs eg: XMPEG not being able to find codecs and resulting in not being able to encode....

i am looking at a total rebuild of all the codecs on my system now... so if anyone knows the file names &or places to dl the standard windows codecs AND the names of the fugitive filter/codec files still residing somewhere in a systems directory which nimo SHOULD have uninstalled - please provide this info for me ...
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

Re: urgent help - nimo codec installer wrecked codecs

Originally posted by morbo

im guessing it involves weeding through the winnt\system directory deleting the .dll's etc of the codecs....
    NOOOOOOO, don't do that, you are only going to ****up your system by doing that. Simply deleting the files will not solve anything. Because the registry keep a list of all installed codecs, and WMP et al uses that to decide which codec to use for decoding. To properly uninstall an audio or video codec you must go into 'control panel'->sounds and multimedia'->'Hardware'->'audio codec' / 'video codec'->properties select a codec and click remove.

then im faced with finding the mpeg2 audio-video codec (yes the one used for dvd format) which has always been on my computer since win2k install but is now damaged... (ill need a url to DL it) - not even divx-digest seems to have it....
    I think you should be able to find everything you need in the codec and filters, download sections at www.doom9.net
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• morbo
      • Oct 2002

khp - thanks for the help, im aware of the concequences of deleting just the files so , i have been hunting through the registry removing the keys for some of the codecs...

unfroetunately i do not have the 'codecs' option in the 'hardware' tab under multimedia and sound, as of this moment i have all the divX codecs back on track and im working on getting mpeg2 stuff working again

thanks for the link

Comment

• khp
        The Other
        • Nov 2001

khp - thanks for the help, im aware of the concequences of deleting just the files so , i have been hunting through the registry removing the keys for some of the codecs...
        Ugh that's even worse, the chance of messing something up are far too great.

unfroetunately i do not have the 'codecs' option in the 'hardware' tab under multimedia and sound
        Which OS are you using ?
        Look harder, there should be an 'audio codecs' and a 'video codecs' option in the list of devices (Scroll down in the list of devices, see attachment).
        Attached Files

Comment

• UncasMS
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2001

give TSUNAMI's filterpack 396 a try

i consider it the best choice!

click my upper anigif and go to the download section

Comment

• morbo
            • Oct 2002

Thanks again for the help... dont worry - i found ONLY the correct reg keys and didnt touch anything else

no - i have looked too closely several times - no videeo/audio codecs listed... definately not there...

ok i have solved all the problems now, except for one...

i use a leadtek myVIVO gf4 with tv capture capebilities, usually i record input in mpeg2 form... well noe something has happend and any mpeg2 streams i capture cannot be played back or compiled... there is something wrong with my mpeg2 codec

eg:TMPGencPlus says "unknown format"
            Virtual Dub says "cannot open-pack synchronisation error"
            Windows media player says "a filter/combination of filters cannot be found to play this file"
            and XMPEG quits whenever i try to open the files... ALL my previous mpeg2 streams still work, (ever since nimo was installed) mpeg2 has gone crazy....

i have had a look around and i cant find the mpeg2 audio+video codecs anywhere
            Attached Files

Comment

• khp
              The Other
              • Nov 2001

eg:TMPGencPlus says "unknown format"
              Virtual Dub says "cannot open-pack synchronisation error"
              Windows media player says "a filter/combination of filters cannot be found to play this file"
              and XMPEG quits whenever i try to open the files... ALL my previous mpeg2 streams still work, (ever since nimo was installed) mpeg2 has gone crazy....
              Thanks for the screen shot. It explains alot. You are using WDM drivers for your capture card, this is also why you can't see any video codec in there. You need to install the VFW drivers for your graphichs card, to work with vitrualdub et al.

Comment

• morbo
                • Oct 2002

thanks for ALMOST solving my problem

i am searching for these VFW drivers and have removed the wdm drivers...

sorry but im curious, whats the difference? shouldnt the 'drivers' just be the compatability layer between hardware/software and NOT effect the format of a media file?
                WDM - drivers, well if they dont work why do they exist? whats the wdm vs vfw pro's / cons?

i am using a GF4 TI4400... do u know where to get the VFW drivers from?

thankyou soo much for this help , i have been encodeing/ripping and stuff ever since the original divX was released and i am still learning new stuff

Comment

• khp
                  The Other
                  • Nov 2001

shouldnt the 'drivers' just be the compatability layer between hardware/software and NOT effect the format of a media file?
                  Yes very much so, the problem is that the interface is completly diffrent for the WDM drivers, which makes software written for VFW unusable.

But I really don't know as much about this, as I would like to pretend. All I know is that virtualdub and the divx5 codec only support VFW. As for finding drivers for your card that might be a bit of a problem. As far as I can tell the leadtek site only offer WDM drivers for the myVIVO card.

Sorry

Comment

• morbo
                    • Oct 2002

thanks for the help - i have searched high and low and cant find the drivers... im just wondering- i had it working before - oh well - ill post another thread if i find out a solution/answer for this problem

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎