• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cypher007
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • May 2002

which setup?

ok im now able to encode divx, yay, what would you go for when doing single cd rips using sigma designs rmp4 codec (similar to divx 5). im using virtual dub, gk, and downmixing to dolby surround which i then mp3 and mux. in gk i find that if i set the resolution so that its just below what causes a yellow in the bits/pixel i get good results. my question is this:

1) is it better to go for a lower bits/pixel eg. 19-20, and higher res or go for a lower res and higher bits/pixel 20-23?

2) the soundtrack im currently encoding using lame mp3 at 192kbps dolby prologic surround. as i have a digital amp and 5 3way speakers, so sound quality is quite important, but could i lower this to 160 or 128 and not notice any change?

peoples opinion on this would be useful also if theres a better mp3 codec than lame id would like to know.

p.s. whats the difference between cbr and abr in the mp3 setup.

also ive noticed the mp3 sountrak is quite loud. in dvdtoavi theres some options for dynamic range control and normalization what should these be set to?
    Last edited by cypher007; 12 Nov 2002, 05:03 AM.
    Intel Quad Q6600@3000
    water cooled
    2gb ram
    160gb 2xseagate sata raid 0
    gforce 8800GTS 512mb
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

1) This depends very heavily on the movie.

2) This is pruely a matter of personal opinion, do some tests and make up your mind.

CBR or Constant BitRate, means that every second uses the exact same number of bits.
    ABR or Average BitRate, means that the encoder is allowed to conserve some bits durring quiet portions of the soundtrack, which can then be used durring louder and more complex parts of the sound track.

also ive noticed the mp3 sountrak is quite loud. in dvdtoavi theres some options for dynamic range control and normalization what should these be set to?
    Do some experiments to see what you like best.
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

Working...