How to convert DIVX Format into XVID Format?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • discpoby
    • Nov 2002

How to convert DIVX Format into XVID Format?

I have DIVX Format file...

How to convert DIVX Format file into XVID Format file???

Please teach to me Method......

thanks....
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

Excuse me for asking.

But why would you want to do that ?
    Xvid and Divx are within a few % of each other quality wise. If you reencode it you are only going to loose quality due to recompression.
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• saxodreng_dk
      • Dec 2002

DIVx3 to Xvid

I have the exact same question. Just bourght a Kiss DP450 DIVX hardware player. And it only plays DIVX4, DIVX5 and Xvid.

I have arround 160GB movies in Divx3 i would like to convert to a newer format. But I do not have the experience (I am a so called Newbie in converting).

I have heard about a program called VirtualDub.

Does anyone have a step by step guide for converting Divx3 to Xvid or similar. ???? There must be a very wise guy out here in Cyberspace, who would like to help - pleeeaaase

Comment

• khp
        The Other
        • Nov 2001

OK that is a valid reason. Let's do a two pass encode, this will give us the best possible quality.

1) Load the file into virtualdub.
        2) Select video->fast recompression, audio->'Direct Stream copy'
        3) Select video->compression, Select Xvid Mpeg-4, configure, and set encoding mode to '2-pass first pass', and click OK, OK.
        4) Select File->'Save as AVI', in the save menu, check 'Add operation to joblist and defer processing'. And Save the file under a new name.
        5) Select video->compression, Select Xvid Mpeg-4, configure, and set encoding mode to '2-pass second pass int.', set the desired filesize (minus the audio) and click OK, OK.
        5b) You can check the size of the audio track by selecting File->'File Information', The last number in the last field is the audio size in KB.
        6) Select File->'Save as AVI', in the save menu, check 'Add operation to joblist and defer processing'. And Save the file under a new name (it's OK to use the same file name for the first and second pass)
        7) Select File->'Job Control' and click start.
        Last edited by khp; 22 Dec 2002, 06:15 AM.

Comment

• saxodreng_dk
          • Dec 2002

Divx3 to DIVx4/5 or Xvid

Thanks for the guide. Great that someone cares !! Thanks again for your reply.

I've tried it but I got a few errors:

First when I loaded the file I got this:

VirtualDUB has detedted an inpropor VBR audio encoding in the source AVI file and will rewrite the audio header with standard CBR values during processing for better compatibility. This may introduce up to 46629 ms of skrew from the video stream. If this is unacceptable, decompress the *entire* audio stream to an uncompressed WAV file and recompress with a constant bitrate encoder. (bitrate: 128.0 +/- 22.6 kbps)

I bypassed it and continued and got this when I choosed the Video encoding Xvid (just as U told me to):

Video coach warning:
          VirtualDUB has detected a potential problem:
          Fast Repack mode is selected. This can significantly speed up recompression times, but may cause errors with codecs that do not proporly YUV formats. Check your output file to make sure the input and output codect are compatible.
          Do you wish to continue ?

I selected YES

Last error I've got was when I pressed START in the "Job control":

VirtualDUB Error:
          Cannot load Sylia scripting language (SYLIA.DLL)
          The specified module could not be found.

Now what ?? - What do I do next ??. Please bare with me, I'm a total newbie in this matter.

I have all codecs installed (NIMO Codecpack 5.08)

Best regards Saxodreng_DK

Comment

• khp
            The Other
            • Nov 2001

Re: Divx3 to DIVx4/5 or Xvid

Originally posted by saxodreng_dk

VirtualDUB has detedted an inpropor VBR audio encoding in the source AVI file and will rewrite the audio header with standard CBR values during processing for better compatibility. This may introduce up to 46629 ms of skrew from the video stream. If this is unacceptable, decompress the *entire* audio stream to an uncompressed WAV file and recompress with a constant bitrate encoder. (bitrate: 128.0 +/- 22.6 kbps)
            This is a serious one, and we need to address it. Either as the warning message says, or better yet, by doing the following:

1) Load the file into nandub
            2) select File->Save WAV, and name the file whatever.mp3. This will extract the audio stream to an mp3 file
            3) Do compression as described above, except that you select audio->'no audio' in virtualdub.
            4) Load the new xvid compressed avi file into nandub, select video->'Direct Stream copy', audio->'(VBR) MP3 file' and select the mp3 file you extracted from the original file. And save as avi under a new file name.

It's important that you use nandub for mp3 extraction and muxing, because only nandub handles VBR mp3 audio properly. And we can't use nandub for reencoding the video because nandub only encodes with Divx3.11.

Video coach warning:
            VirtualDUB has detected a potential problem:
            Fast Repack mode is selected. This can significantly speed up recompression times, but may cause errors with codecs that do not proporly YUV formats. Check your output file to make sure the input and output codect are compatible.
            This one should not cause any problems, but if it worries you, you can select Video->'Full Processing mode' instead of 'Fast Recompression'.

VirtualDUB Error:
            Cannot load Sylia scripting language (SYLIA.DLL)
            The specified module could not be found.
            This one bugs me, I don't have a clue what might cause this, you might try reinstalling the latest version of virtualdub, get it directly from here .
            Working around this problem, is really really annoying.
            It means we can't use jobcontrol, which means that we have to run each pass one at a time. In steps 4 and 6 in the guide in my previous post, you need to deselect 'add to joblist and defer processing' before clicking save in the save menu. This will start the encoding process immidiaetly, and you then need to wait untill the process has finished, before continueing with the next step.
            Last edited by khp; 24 Dec 2002, 12:06 AM.

Comment

• saxodreng_dk
              • Dec 2002

Hi again, and Merry X-mas to U - and many thanks for your time in this matter.

However I tried what U decribed, but again no luck. I get another error.:
              Video Compression Error: An unknown error occured (May be corrupt data).(Error code 100)

But I could do a DivX 5 recompression, but the size of the output file is much smaller (eventhough I choosed 1400 bitrate).

By the way the Movie file is "The Princess Diaries". (2 file edition)

In NanDUB I could only make a WAV file, not MP3.

When I did the audio and video mix in NanDUB - the output was as expected - Audio is ahead with a couple of minutes.

Now - I am crying - (LOL)

Do U have a clue, what I can do next ????

Best regards
              Saxodreng_dk

Comment

• khp
                The Other
                • Nov 2001

However I tried what U decribed, but again no luck. I get another error.:
                Video Compression Error: An unknown error occured (May be corrupt data).(Error code 100)
                You get this when you try compressing with XVID ? but it works with divx5 ?. On the same source ?.
                Try installing the latest stable release from http://www.roeder.goe.net/~koepi/xvid.shtml

But I could do a DivX 5 recompression, but the size of the output file is much smaller (eventhough I choosed 1400 bitrate).
                After doing both passes ?, the first pass should only produce a very small file, it's only the second pass that makes the real file.

In NanDUB I could only make a WAV file, not MP3.
                After you extract the file, using 'save as wav', you need to rename it to something.mp3. It really is an mp3 file.

When I did the audio and video mix in NanDUB - the output was as expected - Audio is ahead with a couple of minutes.
                Try again, but make it an mp3 file this time.

Comment

• saxodreng_dk
                  • Dec 2002

Hi again, and Merry Cristmas to You

Thank for spending so much time on this - Its really kind of you.

Xvid - wont work - regardless of version.

Divx5 - (2pass-second pass) asks for log-files ???? before it will start. Which log-files ???. I have searched my entire network for something that could seem to be a divx log file , but no luck.

Rgds
                  Saxodreng_dk

Comment

• khp
                    The Other
                    • Nov 2001

Running '2-pass first pass' normally creates this, by default it should be placed in C:\divx.log, which the second pass will then read.

Comment

• saxodreng_dk
                      • Dec 2002

Oh my goodness - It worked !!!! - Jubiiii

Thank you, thank you, thank you !!!!

I will certantly put you on my praying list.

Just a little question more:

Where can you decide the size of the file to be encoded ??

I choosed 1400Kbit and the final file without audio was 578Mb.
                      With audio 638Mb.

The original file in Divx3 is 670Mb.

So I thourght that the last 30Mb could be used to gain better video result.

Thanks again - I will put your little manual on the web for others and I will credit you for it - If you like.

Best regards and I give you my best wishes for a happy newyear

Saxodreng_dk

Comment

• khp
                        The Other
                        • Nov 2001

Oh my goodness - It worked !!!! - Jubiiii
                        I'am happy that it finally worked out for you .

Where can you decide the size of the file to be encoded ??
                        You should use a bitrate calculator for that. Personally I prefer the one build into GordianKnot. It has the advantage that you can enter the exact size of the audiotrack instead of an approximate bitrate. And also has very precise frame overhead calculation. If you only use the bitrate calculator part, all you need it the executeable gordianknot.exe.

Thanks again - I will put your little manual on the web for others and I will credit you for it - If you like.
                        Do whatever you like, I offer my help here freely, as do the other members of this forum. But I really don't feel like taking credit for anything. If anything you should give credit to the forum.
                        Last edited by khp; 28 Dec 2002, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Working...