Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hellion
    • Jan 2002

Problem playing DVD on Region Free Drive

Hi there, I just flashed the firmware of my DVD drive to convert it into a region free drive. I flashed it ok, and with the aid of RegionKiller software, PowerDVD now loads up and automatically switches to the correct region for the DVD in the drive, without prompts, and without actually going through the softwares region change process (those who use RegionKiller know what I mean...basically, I can switch between regions an unlimited amount of times and automatically).

The problem I have is this...although it switches to Region 2 and plays my Region 2 discs no problems, the one Region 1 disc that I have will not play. I get the error: "Unexpected copy protection error" in PowerDVD.

I have read somewhere that some Region 1 discs have extra protection that means they will not work in "region free" players. Is this what is happening here? The film in question is "eXistenZ". Also, is there any way around this?

Cheers.
  • Trancemaster
    Snoogins
    • Dec 2001

It is possible that Existenz uses RCE (Region Coding Enhanced) protection. Only a couple of studios are using this system at the moment. RCE requires the region to be correctly set, and so will not play on region free or multi-region players. However, I don't know whether the system was in use when Existenz was released.

Just an idea!
    Snooch to the Nooch!

Comment

• Kaiser-Soze
      Platinum Member
      Platinum Member
      • Jan 2002

I don't know what could be wrong here
      Just a hint for others:
      I ve' seen (and ripped ) existenz-region 1 I didn't noticed any problems. I use PowerDVD also.
      Speak until the tape runs out. Playback the tape until the story is finished...

Comment

Working...