Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • treads
    • Jan 2002

Playback on Stand-alone DVD Players

I am trying to find out if either of the DVD players I own play CD-R, CD-RW's (a 725 and F11). Does anyone know where I might be able to find this out on the web? Both are Sony and even though I'm a Sony man through and through, the Sony website is rubbish.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Go to: http://www.vcdhelp.com/

Despite the site's name, it provides a wealth of brand/model-specific information regarding standalone DVD players - including CD-R brand recognition, whether it will play VCDs, SVCDs, XVCDs, etc.

Comment

• treads
      • Jan 2002

Thanks

Managed to find the players and seems as if I need to find a specific make of CDR's and CDRW's called PRINCO, I have searched the usual mail-order web companies but they seem extremely hard to get hold of. Any ideas?

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Princo apparently manufactures CD-Rs both under it's own name and "store brands", such as Comp USA. if you can't locate the Princo brand, you may have to shop around and actually examine the CDs - the manufacturer's name usually appears around the inner ring (around the hole). Additionally, it's been my ex[erience that if a standalone player can play VCDs, it will recognize virtually ANY brand of R/W CD.

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• tateman66
          • Jan 2002

Hey Setarip,

Does a DVD with VCDs on it have to be in the same format as a DVD with VOBs?

In other words, a Video_ts file and VCDs contained within?

Steven Tate

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

To tateman66

Although I've no direct experience with such a creation, I've got to believe that the DVD player wouldn't recognize such a disk - either as a DVD or a VCD.

.VOB files have to be "Legitimate" meeting parameters for both video and audio - neither of which exist under VCD format.

Comment

• treads
              • Jan 2002

To setarip

Not sure if I need to post a new thread, but can you help?

I have just burned a CDRW and tested the playback on the standalone DVD player, it worked! Well almost....... When I played the CDRW I managed to get a picture but no sound? Any ideas? .... Probably doing something wrong!

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

1) Does the ORIGINAL file have sound?

2) What software did you use to create the VCD?

3) Does it play with audio on your PC?

Comment

• treads
                  • Jan 2002

In answer to your questions;

1) Yes the AVI files created can be played and both video and
                  sound are ok.

2) MGI Videowave to create AVI file and Nero to brun

3) Yes

I am going to try to use Ulead ? or Adobe Premier software to re-create the AVI file over the weekend then burn again using Nero. Fingers crossed!

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

From your posting, I gather that you're using NERO to both convert the .AVI to VCD format and to burn the CD.

You might want to try using TMPGEnc to convert the .AVI to MPEG1-VideoCD format and then using NERO only to burn the VCD-format CD.

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• treads
                      • Jan 2002

setarip

Hi,
                      You have replied before to my postings, and while I have been reading through have a specific question. I have a Sony standalone DVD player and am having problems with finding the right CD-R's, in one of you replies (a while ago) you stated you have a Sony standalone and have been creating these things for years. Which CD-R's do you use and where can I get them?

I have looked at vcdhelp.com but they state PRINCO disks which are extremely hard to find........ can you help?

Regards

Nigel

Comment

• treads
                        • Jan 2002

Help!

Hi,
                        You have replied before to my postings, and while I have been reading through have a specific question. I have a Sony standalone DVD player and am having problems with finding the right CD-R's, in one of you replies (a while ago) you stated you have a Sony standalone and have been creating these things for years. Which CD-R's do you use and where can I get them?

I have looked at vcdhelp.com but they state PRINCO disks which are extremely hard to find........ can you help?

Regards

Nigel

Comment

• setarip
                          Retired
                          • Dec 2001

Prime Peripherals, ArtMedia, and Princo. Princo also manufactures "house labels" for some major chains, so you may have to look around the hub ring of store brands for the name Princo. The Sonys also recognize virtually any brand of R/W CD.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎