Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mini-Master2002
    • Dec 2002

i can't cut out the last part of my movie

i am trying to make a vcd with my movie. I am using VirtualDub. I need to split the movie in half. I have the first part, but I can't get the last part. I have put a start in the middle, and an end at the end of the movie. Everytime I try to save it, it saving the whole movie, not the section I want to cut out. Please Help!
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

A) In order to determine which codec(s) you need for a particular .AVI, you should do the following:

1) Load the file into VirtualDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (both video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

OR

B) Don't cut the .AVI. Instead, create ONE MPEG1-VideoCD using TMPGEnc. Then cut THIS file using TMPGEnc as follows:

Under the "Files" dropdown menu, click on "MPEG Tools" and select the "Merge & Cut" tab. Make sure to change the mode to "MPEG1-Video CD". Load your file and enter a new (.MPG) name in the "Output file" box. Then doubleclick on the ORIGINAL file's name in the window, which will bring you to the cutting area. Select your desired start and end points for the first half, click on "Okay" which will bring you back to the first window and generate (in a sequence of three automated steps) the first new file. To create the second new file, repeat the steps starting with "Then doubleclick on the ORIGINAL..." (be extra patient with the second half, as the program has to do more seeking to establish the beginning of the new file).

Use a burning program, such as NERO to burn your CD-R or R/W CD as a VCD (DON'T ask NERO to format the file as a VCD, since you've already accomplished this!)

Comment

• Mini-Master2002
      • Dec 2002

i can't open the file with TMPGEnc, it said it is not supported. It is a avi file, why is it saying that? More Help!

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

In light of the fact that TMPGEnc won't recognize some aspect of your file, please do the following (as I suggested previously):

1) Load the file into VirtualDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (both video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

Comment

• Mini-Master2002
          • Dec 2002

here is the information
          Attached Files

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

Your file was created using the DivX v.5.xx video codec and Variable rate (VBR) .MP3 audio - neither of which can be processed by TMPGEnc. I'd suggest that you do the following, in EXACTLY the sequence listed:

Simply use VirtualDub to save the audio stream as an Uncompressed PCM (WAV) file as follows:
            Load your original .AVI into VirtualDub
            From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Save WAV" (Enter a new filename with a ".WAV" extender).Click on "OK".

Then,

To change codecs (compression) used and make a "silent" .AVI:

1) Set "Audio" to "Direct Stream Copying"

3) Set "Video" to "Full Processing Mode"

4) From under the "Video" dropdown menu, click on "Compression"

5) Select the DivX v.3.11alpha codec - If possible, set the adjustable settings to the same as the original file

6) Set "Audio" to "No audio" (after you've saved the WAV file)

7) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Save as AVI" and enter a new filename for the modified file

You should then be able to first load the "silent" .AVI and then the .WAV file into TMPGEnc...

Comment

• Mini-Master2002
              • Dec 2002

how can i cut the movie in half?

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

After you've successfully loaded both the video and audio files into TMPGEnc, from under the "Advanced" tab, put a checkmark in the box labelled "Source Range" and then doubleclick on the WORDS "Source Range". When the "Source range" window appears, set your start and end points for your first half. Return to the main screen and process this portion. After this has been completed, repeat the process for the second half (Remember to enter a DIFFERENT name for the second half in the "Output file" box).

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• Mini-Master2002
                  • Dec 2002

wouldn't it lower the quality if i change the codec to DivX v.3.11alpha codec?

Comment

• Enchanter
                    Old member
                    • Feb 2002

Originally posted by setarip
                    Your file was created using the DivX v.5.xx video codec and Variable rate (VBR) .MP3 audio - neither of which can be processed by TMPGEnc.
                    I suggest you update your copy of TMPGEnc. The DivX 5.x codec is supported by the latest version.

Originally posted by Mini-Master2002
                    wouldn't it lower the quality if i change the codec to DivX v.3.11alpha codec?
                    When reencoding with a lossy codec, it is a yes. How much is lost depends on a number of factors, though some may argue the loss of quality is minimal or non-existent. I would rather go through a different method just to avoid this possibility (there is more than one choice here).

Comment

• Enchanter
                      Old member
                      • Feb 2002

Re: i can't cut out the last part of my movie

Originally posted by Mini-Master2002
                      i am trying to make a vcd with my movie. I am using VirtualDub. I need to split the movie in half. I have the first part, but I can't get the last part. I have put a start in the middle, and an end at the end of the movie. Everytime I try to save it, it saving the whole movie, not the section I want to cut out. Please Help!
                      Try doing as outlined above, save for the reencoding bit (ie. Send the AVI file straight into TMPGEnc, along with the Uncompressed PCM WAV (that you have created following the same guideline), and create the single VCD-compliant MPG file.

Edit: Edited the message upon discovering that the original AVI has only 1 keyframe, which makes the AVI file uncuttable.
                      Last edited by Enchanter; 15 Dec 2002, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎