Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark Madness
    • May 2002

Need to add black bars

Hi there. I wanna convert one of my DivX movies to VCD but I chopped off the black bars when I made it with DivX. How can I add them back? I heard virtual dub can do it but how?
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Although it can be accomplished using VirtualDub, it is a time-consuming process and, by virtue of having to full process the file, potentially results in a somewhat diminished quality. Instead, if you use TMPGEnc to create the VCD as follows, you'll both save time and not have to recompress the original .AVI:

1) Set to "System Video and Audio" (lower right side)
    2) Click on "Setting" radio button
    3) Click on "System" tab, change mode to "MPEG1-VideoCD" (from default of "MPEG1")
    4) Click the "Video" tab and change applicable settings to: 352X240 (PAL 352x288), 4:3 (NTSC or PAL as appropriate) 525 Line. Click the "Advanced" tab and change applicable settings to: "16:9 Display", "Center (Keep aspect ratio)", and 352x240 (PAL 352x288). (Note: "Video" tab mode of "MPEG1" is okay) - set "Motion Search Precision" to "Normal Quality".
    5) Change "Rate Control Mode" to "Automatic VBR (CQ_VBR)"
    6) Under the "Audio" tab, set to 44,100 224Kbps
    7) Press "Start"

Note that if your video runs longer than 60 minutes, you'll have to subsequently split your VCD-MPG file in two. This too can be easily and precisely accomplished using TMPGEnc. Under the "Files" dropdown menu, click on "MPEG Tools" and select the "Merge & Cut" tab. Once again, make sure to change the mode to "MPEG1-Video CD". Load your file and enter a new (.MPG) name in the "Output file" box. Then doubleclick on the ORIGINAL file's name in the window, which will bring you to the cutting area. Select your desired start and end points for the first half, click on "Okay" which will bring you back to the first window and generate (in a sequence of three automated steps) the first new file. To create the second new file, repeat the steps starting with "Then doubleclick on the ORIGINAL..." (be extra patient with the second half, as the program has to do more seeking to establish the beginning of the new file).

Use a burning program, such as NERO to burn your CD-R or R/W CD as a VCD (DON'T ask NERO to format the file as a VCD, since you've already accomplished this!)

Let us know of your success ;>}
    Last edited by setarip; 19 Dec 2002, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Working...