Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: bsod during xmpeg 4.5 encoding. Not a cpu heat problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Junior Member
    samgaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    4

    Unhappy-2 bsod during xmpeg 4.5 encoding. Not a cpu heat problem

    I get bsod (mainly 0x000000D1) under xmpeg 4.5.
    Usually my system crashes during the divx 5.0.2 first or second pass.

    - smartripper 2.41
    - xmpeg 4.5
    - mp3 radium codec
    - divx 5.0.2
    - Windows XP pro.
    - Athlon T-Bird 1333

    I made a lot of divx with this software/hardware before without any crash.
    Of course I've formated my system a few time to try to solve this problem.

    "Tips and tricks for misc. tools" thread didn't help me to solve my problem.

    Has someone a suggestion ?

  2. #2
    The Other khp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Online
    Posts
    2,161

    Default

    How do you know it's not a heat problem ?

    Install the latest drivers for your motherboard/graphicscard.
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Junior Member
    samgaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Thank you for your advice.
    But I've already installed the latest drivers for my hardware.

    I think the cpu temperature is not involved because it's running fine for months and I only get bsod because xmpeg.
    No problem with heavy encoding job in virtualdub or video games.
    Memory sticks have been already tested/changed

    I have some crash problems with flaskmpeg too. No bsod but fatal errors.

    I didn't ever got a crash with virtualdub.

    I'm wondering if the dvd player can be concerned through smartripper. Is there any reliable error check in this soft ? Can an invalid stream lead xmpeg to crash the system ?
    I know that this assumption seems not very credible.

  4. #4
    The Other khp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Online
    Posts
    2,161

    Default

    Originally posted by samgaz
    I think the cpu temperature is not involved because it's running fine for months and I only get bsod because xmpeg.
    Problems has to start somewhere at some point. The fact that you haven't experience this before does'nt make it less likely that is't a hardware problem. I dare say that it makes it more likely, software does not decay over time hardware does.

    Originally posted by samgaz

    No problem with heavy encoding job in virtualdub or video games.
    If you can encode with virtualdub why do you even bother with flask ?.

    Originally posted by samgaz

    I have some crash problems with flaskmpeg too. No bsod but fatal errors.
    I would suspect the problems are related to the IDCT setting in flask/xmpeg. The IDCT uses either the MMX, 3dNow, sse, sse2, integer or float unit very intensivly, which most likely exposes a glitch in the CPU, using a different IDCT may work around the problem.

    Originally posted by samgaz

    I'm wondering if the dvd player can be concerned through smartripper. Is there any reliable error check in this soft ? Can an invalid stream lead xmpeg to crash the system ?
    I think this is highly unlikely, but it should be pretty easy to check, If the crash always happen at exactly the same point, this would seem the most likely explanation. But If the crashes happen at random points, then the hardware is mostlikely the cause of the trouble.
    Last edited by khp; 24 Dec 2002 at 11:31 AM
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Junior Member
    samgaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Originally posted by khp
    If you can encode with virtualdub why do you even bother with flask ?.
    You are right. I've already stopped to bother with flask or xmpeg because I've successfully used gordian knot a few time and it's really better.

    But I don't like to let problem unsolved... especially if it is related to my hardware stability. Like lot of us in this forum I think.


    Originally posted by khp
    I would suspect the problems are related to the IDCT setting in flask/xmpeg. The IDCT uses either the MMX, 3dNow, sse, sse2, integer or float unit very intensivly, which most likely exposes a glitch in the CPU, using a different IDCT may work around the problem.
    I will test more deeply differents IDCT. These tests are not really easy to make because the crash may appened after a few encoding hours.

    Thanks khp.
    Last edited by samgaz; 20 Dec 2002 at 11:55 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •