Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why was DVD genie not needed after flashing to RPC1?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hartian
    • Jan 2002

Why was DVD genie not needed after flashing to RPC1?

I use windvd 1.3.5 to play DVDs and I just successfully flashed my aopen 1240 amh. (my OS is win98se)

The strange thing is, after flashing, I can play DVDs from different regions without the need of pre-selecting regions through DVD genie, which I had installed earlier. Windvd just autoplays any DVD I insert, regardless of region, making DVD genie redundant. While I am happy that this removes the hassle of me having to select a region everytime I play a DVD, I was wondering if I've made a mistake somewhere and that the software region counter is slowly ticking each time in the background.

I would be grateful if anyone can explain why I am experiencing this phenomenon as everything I've read tells me that dvd genie is always required to play DVDs on flashed drives. Have I missed out something or am I just plain lucky?
  • Trancemaster
    Snoogins
    • Dec 2001

Your software is probably set up to rely on the drives region coding rather than it's own. I think you should be OK.
    Snooch to the Nooch!

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

"The strange thing is, after flashing, I can play DVDs from different regions without the need of pre-selecting regions through DVD genie, which I had installed earlier"

It would seem fairly obvious that the "update" you used to flash the firmware included removal of region codes. Many hacked firmware updates include "goodies" of this sort. I'm pretty sure that if you return to the site of your download, there will be a reference to this.

Life is full of pleasant surprises ;>}

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎