Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • qzha017
    • Dec 2002

sound problem

Hi everyone im new to this so my problem starts off like this........every movie i convert all has sound problems the sounds and speechs are at different time then the movie, so i see lips moving, substitutes on but no sounds and voices.
    also souds at wrong time
    im using flaskmeg

and may I ask what is the best software to do the job? I understand you can convert the sound and video separatly, how do you do that? would this mean no more sound problems?????

thanks your help is appreciated
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Try the following:
    1. Load up AVI file (that you have created using Flask) in Virtual/nandub
    2. Set both Video and Audio tabs to Direct Stream Copy
    3. Under Audio, go to Interleave and input the appropriate value in the 'Delay audio track by x ms' box
    4. Go to File -> Save as AVI and give a name to the new file

In the case of the audio gradually getting more and more off-synch from the video, add the following step prior to saving the file:
    -. Under Video, go to Frame Rate and select "Change so video and audio durations match (you should see a value similar to the original frame rate).

Comment

• rumi
      • Jan 2003

Same Problem!!

I have the same problem too!The audio/video are out of synch.It seems as if its a stretching problem with, the audio /video synch getting worse with the duration of the movie.I tried Echanter's suggestion with Virtual dub and it made no difference.Why are audio/video synch problems so common with DivX??...and are there alternative (prferably simple)approaches that even newcomers can try ?I downloaded AVI Info as suggested in the article on correcting sych problems on this site,but its too bug ridden for Windows XP(the apply and reset buttons do not work!!)...and i can't find a working link to a free version of Cool Edit!

Comment

• UncasMS
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2001

did you have flask convert the audio to mp3?
        and was it downsampled to 44.1khz?

that'll be a notorious mistake: flask is crap when it comes to handling this

btw here you'll find a very good FREEWARE audioeditor:
        Download Audacity for free. A free multi-track audio editor and recorder. Audacity is a free, easy-to-use, multi-track audio editor and recorder for Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux and other operating systems. Audacity is free software, developed by a group of volunteers and distributed under the GNU General Public License (GPL).

Comment

• rumi
          • Jan 2003

Used Flask

Hi,
          Yeah, i used Flask and sampled the audio at 48000 encoding it into mp3.The video(PAL) output timebase(fps) was set to 25fps.The odd thing is that when i re-encoded it at a slower frame speed of 23.976 the synch problem appears sorted PROVIDED that you don't slide ahead or back into the movie.Once you touch the slider controls the old synch problem re-emerges.Its all very puzzling.I'm surprised that VirtualDub's option of "matching audio and video frame durations" under its framerate tab does not appear to work.Thanks for the link..i'll check it out,and would be most grateful for any other suggestions

Comment

• UncasMS
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2001

i strongly recommend to turn your back on flask and use tools that have proven to be reliable for future conversion.

or at least create your video and audio SEPARATELY and not let flask take care of audio!

crating an mp3 or even better ogg from your vobs is fairly easy, and muxing audio and video manually is absolutely normal for many of us, who are fed up with tools like flask.

maybe SYNCHRONIZER might help you solve your problem btw.

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

If you should happen to find Flask a desirable tool, you have but to make a minor change in your procedure in order to obtain and retain audio/video synchronicity. Use Flask as you have been, to save a combined DivX-compressed video and audio file. However, set the audio to 48,000Hz Uncompressed PCM (WAV) format. This file will be perfectly synchronized.

When Flask has finished the conversion, you'll typically have a file that is about 1Gig bigger than you'd expect (due to the uncompressed audiostream) - but, not to worry, for this is a temporary situation.

Load the converted file into VirtualDub
              Set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copy"
              Set "Audio" to "Full Processing Mode"
              Under the "Audio" dropdown menu (assuming you want to retain the 48,000Hz sampling frequency), select "Compression" - and choose whichever 48,000 MPEG Layer 3 (.MP3) sampling rate you prefer
              Save with a new filename

If you are satisfied with the results, after closing VirtualDub, you can delete the original large converted file.

(Note: If the video is longer than two hours, select Flask's "Split File" option. You'll be able to perfectly join the segments in VirtualDub, using the "Append .AVI segments" function from the "File" dropdown menu, after loading the first segment. The need for this arises due to Flask's (Standard .AVI) 2Gig filesize limitation)

Comment

• rumi
                • Jan 2003

Synchronizer did the trick!

Thanks guys.....Synchroniner did the trick .It was nice and easy to use which makes a change!I'll try out Setarips suggestion as well just to see if it works on my system.By the way what does the term "REMUX" mean?

Comment

• UncasMS
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2001

remux means split and then again mux (i.e. merge) audio and video stream

you see that flask is not at all capable of handling audio properly: one more good reason not to use workarounds that cost even more time and hdd-space than using decent routines right from the start.

Comment

• rumi
                    • Jan 2003

synch depends on the player too.

Thanks once again UncasMS I have noticed that the degree of audio/video de-synchronization can vary from one media player to the next.For example when correcting the synch for viewing in Windows Media Player i had to reset the new fps value to one value,and when viewing it in the DivX player i had to use a different value for the new fps.Has that been your experience as well?

Comment

• rumi
                      • Jan 2003

Is MPEG layer3 the same as MP3?

I'm confused by this!When you perform audio processing in Virtual Dub,you're given the choice of various audio compression schemes.Out of this list you can choose between mp3 and mpeg layer3.I was of the opinion that the two are the one and same thing.If not what is the difference between the two?

Comment

• UncasMS
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2001

my experiences with flask ended some years ago, when i realized it was crappy.

until today i dont see much improvement

encoding with a two pass routine using divx5 as codec and virtualdub as endocer (run thorugh gordianknot, handled manually or via many more good tools like
                        DVX ) is the way to go these days!

you will always encode your audio streeam separately with tools like vob2audio or besweet but this way the audio quality will be excellent.

finally muxing audio + video will be done with NANDUB or virtualdubmod

this may seem complicated at first glance, but you'll be rewarded with superb quality and most importantly: errorfree avis/ ogm files!

concerning mp3: thee is more than ONE mp3 codec und therefor you might have two or more codecs listed.

for a guide on using gordianknot + div5, click my upper anigif in case you would like to give it a try.

Comment

• Ozzie1
                          • Jan 2003

Flask alternative since it appears to be so crappy?

Comment

• Batman
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • Jan 2002

Alternatives include GKNOT, or Nandub if you want to create an SBC rip.

Read the guides at doom9.org

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎