Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • posty84
    • Jan 2003

HELP - capture video to AVI

I am trying to capture video in 352x576 but Virtualdub is only letting me capture in 320 x 420. I have an Anthlon xp1800, a tv tuner capture card(pixelview), 40gig hard drive, 256ddr ram, win xp. My video card is one of those built in to the mother board which is an asus. Why wont it let me capture in higer resolutions?? Any ideas?? is it my capture card or video card?? can i change anything??

Basically what im doing is trying to capture my boxing vhs collection on to s-vcd's. I know the whole procedure on how to do it, but just can't capture in the resolution i want. I get "Error 418: Unsupported video format"

• Jun 2002

I use the software CyberLink PowerVCR II Deluxe to capture VHS tape into a computer with my ATI Radeon 64 VIVO hardware. I capture in the highest quality(DVD Quality 702X480) level and then use TMPGEnc to convert it to SVCD or VCD. It works superb everytime. You might want to try out the PowerVCR software!

Comment

• posty84
      • Jan 2003

help

So you can't capture in that resolution using virtualdub or adobe?

Comment

• techno
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Nov 2001

never ever capture directly to MPEG or an avi using a codec, NEVER. naughty boys

capture using AVI_IO or if u have the best capture card, hauppauge wintv go pci, use their software.

to obtain near DVD quality:

capture in:

320*240/325*288

YUY2/YU12/YV12
        CD quality uncompressed PCM audio
        30fps
        NO RECOMPRESSION

then capture, file size will be big, about 650MB per minute but encode to desired output

you will be fine.

AVI_IO allows u to capture over several files, on the fly

also, update ur card drivers, some cards don't allow to capture at the res u are wanting..

Comment

• ShuMO
          • Dec 2002

Techno, I grabbed that quick outline on capture but I have a question... Why uncompressed PCM? Wont the audio use up massive hard disk space?
          ShuMO

Comment

• techno
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Nov 2001

O yeh, it will be, but obviously not as much as video.

however, you could capture directly to MP3 128kbps if you wish, it won't loose much quality, just that, whenever you capture using any type of compression, NO doubt you WILL lose quality.

I have been capturing and experimenting on capturing for over 3 years now, no no, not trying to say I know all! never ever think that, dear no! It's just that this is what I personally see best in quality

Comment

• techno
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Nov 2001

another thing I will add, as a personal HINT:

like I keep saying, capturing using compression will lose quality, of course.

I experimented with DIVX 3.22b (scene detect path) and captured using 75 crisp, and about 5000+ bitrate.

very impressed I must say, but there was slight loss of quality, this is intended to be used for people who don't mind the touch of loss of quality, but still, i'm sticking to the no compression rule

also, come on, we all DIVX freaks, we care about quality! so u know what to go for! why put less effort and produce bad output when stretching for that extra mile can give you a higher quality???

Comment

• posty84
                • Jan 2003

So Techno, are u saying it could possibly be my capture card that wont capture the high res? Or just the drivers?

Comment

• techno
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Nov 2001

it just depends on the manufacturer.

like for example, the hauppauge card I have, used to, with the drivers supplied with it on CDROM, didn't allow me to capture at a res of 352*288, but had the option to capture at 320*240 (my prefered res)

when I updated the drivers, like maybe 6 weeks later when they made another driver, i installed it and now I can capture at that res.

sometimes it can be just the card, especially if it's an ATI one....they just hardcore program the card only to accept certain resolutions, I don't know about now, but when I had the crappy ATI ALL IN WONDER PRO 128 32MB AGP, o, it was awful!

Comment

• posty84
                    • Jan 2003

I am capturing using Adobe Premier!! It stops capturing and comes with error when it gets to 4gig file. What do i do to fix that?

Does anyone know where i can get the latest pixel view tv/fm turner capture card driver?

Comment

• techno
                      Digital Video Master
                      Digital Video Master
                      • Nov 2001

Firstly, never use adobe to capture.

secondly, since u have a FAT 32 partition, each file made has a max file size of 4GB.
                      If you have NTFS partition, you shouldn't have a problem.

use a program like AVI_IO to capture and capture over several files at a time all in one go.

to update your drivers, go to the manufacturer website of your capture card, or for any other hardware for that matter

Techno

Comment

• posty84
                        • Jan 2003

thanks techno for your help!! Would you be able to do this for me!

Run through the programs and major steps you would do to capture a VHS and make it a SVCD.

Comment

• techno
                          Digital Video Master
                          Digital Video Master
                          • Nov 2001

u mean like a guide sorta thing? like step 1, step 2 etc..? like the guides on my website?

if that's what u mean, then yes, I will be more than happy to do that and put it on my site too for the benefit of everyone, I was planning to do so but I had other things to do

yeh, I will do it, just give me a few days and I shall do it for u

PM me to remind me, overload my inbox lol

Comment

• posty84
                            • Jan 2003

your the man~~

Comment

• techno
                              Digital Video Master
                              Digital Video Master
                              • Nov 2001

hehehe....thanks.

i just like to help....