Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: ReMPEG - how long does it take?

Red face-2 ReMPEG - how long does it take?

I backed up my DVD following "The Cretin's Guide ..." which is similar to Swanside1's guide

http://www.paulgrimes.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

using DVD Decrypter, ReMPEG, IfoEdit, and Nero. I didn't have any problems following the steps.

However, each guide mentions ReMPEG taking roughly 6-10 hours. My process took 26 hours - just for ReMPEG!

I have:
    Pentium III 548mhz, 128 ram, but I'm using XP Pro, SP1. I had over 80 gig free on an external firewire HD, which is 7200 rpm

----------

Anybody know how I can improve this time? Is it my hardware?

The movie length was 1h 40m, 1 audio track, 1 subtitle. Original size was 5.3G, I ReMPEG at 80% to get it to 4.3G.

Gold Member
    Gold Member

u need a new and faster computer, my athlon 700mhz with 768mb ram takes 8-12 hrs to rempeg a movie, while my xp 1600 takes about 8hrs at max,

if the process takes 26hrs then i would look into splitting the movie over 2 disks, if u can't affort a new machine

gl

Default Re

hy guys
    I have a 2000XP pro with256 Ram 120GB and 80 GB HDD and it still takes around 7 - 12 hours.

Good things come to those who wait, (I still am)

Digital Video Technician
    Digital Video Technician

Maybe there's something seriously wrong with my system because Re-Mpeg takes about 30hrs on mine.
    "Normal" DVD-->DivX takes about 4-7 hrs

AMD Athlon T-Bird 1300Mhz
    1,5 GB Ram
    2x80 GB HD

Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video

The fastest software encoder is CCE (if you have a single processor), but it comes with a steep price of about $2000.

I tried another movie 2h long, this time with a different machine:

Pentium III 1.2Ghz, 512meg RAM, 20G free, XP Pro

ReMPEG said it would take about 13 hours - which is better than 26 hours, but still, I'd like to get it down to 6 hours.

Think I'll try to boost my memory, see how this affects it.

Or should I increase the speed of my processor (ie new motherboard)? ReMPEG documentation (or website somewhere) mentioned that it's a memory hog, so maybe more memory would be better?

Gold Member
    Gold Member

pcvideo

my machine is an athlon xp 1600 with 128mb ram and it takes 8hrs at max(just did pearl harbor-long damn movie)
    so see what programs u have running and shut them down, maybe it will free up some memory

Does the compression ratio affect the speed?

I know with MP3 files it does!

Under the Options Tab on Re-Mpeg and Frame mode, Progressive Only, takes half the time of match source. I have an 1.3Gb Athlon 512Mb DDR and no film I have done takes more than 8Hrs to Re-Mpeg and Ive done a fair few now.

I have an AMD XP 1800+ with 512Mb RAM and it take me generally between 5 to 6 hours... for a movie of 2 hour in length using match source option with a ratio of about 75%.

I read the thread and I can't understand why it takes me less time than most of you ...

I just finished a 2h25 movie (MINORITY REPORT) and it take me a little bit over 5h45 with 65% ratio ...

Just my .02 cents

MageMinds

The general times you guys are reporting are about right. Rempeg does gobble up the hours. For this reason I "upgraded" to CCE. It took me about 2 weeks to "gather" the software needed (because it's not just CCE you need)

Anway, with all bits installed I can encode a 2hr movie in about 1hr 45 mins (P4 2Ghz 256 MB RAM)

Now that's far more sensible. I can do a movie from start to finish in an evening. From rip to burn !!

fisherman

Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video

Plus, CCE allows you to do multiple passes. So you can achieve both quality and speed All for only $2000

Ok, I originally had:

Pentium III 550 mhz with 128 meg RAM running XP

ReMPEG'ing a 1h45m movie took 26 hours.

I upgraded memory to 512 meg

-------------------------- RESULTS

My computer in general runs much faster.

BUT

ReMPEG did not have any noticeable reduction in time, perhaps 30 minutes saved. I didn't run the entire time, but using the same RIPPED files, I watched ReMPEG's time counter and it was already at 24 hours and moving up as it continued to compress.

I also deselected PSNR in Options and ReMPEG calculated the starting point at 22 hours, but as it continued to compress, it already moved up to 23 hours .... I assume it'll stabilize around 24 hours.

------------------------------

Looks like I've got to upgrade my motherboard instead. I tried to ReMPEG a 2h05m movie on a Pentium III 1.2ghz with 512 RAM and ReMPEG started the time count at 13 hours.

Maybe there's another setting?

I saw another post regarding Options | Frame Mode. The guide I used suggested "match source", I saw another recommendation for "progressive only". Anyone know what the difference is?

Thread Information