Subtitles in GKnot 0.27 "OK" vs. "I've ripped my source files and crossed my fingers&

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thanhvn
    • Jun 2002

Subtitles in GKnot 0.27 "OK" vs. "I've ripped my source files and crossed my fingers&

I've ripped about two dozen movies and I noticed that when doing subtitles in GKnot 0.27, after choosing a subtitle stream and click on "OK", the indexing would succeed only about 50% of the time. (A screenshot of the failure message is included.) However, if I go back and click on "I've ripped my source files and crossed my fingers" instead of "OK" (the recommended procedure when indexing of subtitles failed, according to the guides), the success rate goes up to 99%.

On a slow computer (PIII 800MHz), the indexing takes up to 30 minutes (for an average 2 hour movie). I would like to know is:

Is there any significant reason why I should not use the "I've ripped my source files and crossed my fingers" button EVERYTIME instead of the "OK" button to save myself 30 minutes of frustration?
    10%
    0%
    20%
    0%
    30%
    0%
    40%
    0%
    50%
    0%
    60%
    0%
    70%
    0%
    80%
    0%
    90%
    0%
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

i dont see any screenshot

Comment

• thanhvn
      • Jun 2002

Sorry, forgot to include the screenshot in the first post. Here it is.

Comment

• thanhvn
        • Jun 2002

Weird, I definitely attached the file but it doesn't show up!!
        Attached Files

Comment

• khp
          The Other
          • Nov 2001

I would guess the sucess rate, of the OK button, is about 80-90%.
          It should only fail, if the movie contained multiple angles and you used MovieMode in smartripper (or IFO mode in DVD decrypter).

Authoring errors on the DVD, or read errors durring the ripping, might also cause problems.

On a slow computer (PIII 800MHz), the indexing takes up to 30 minutes (for an average 2 hour movie). I would like to know is:
          That seems extremely slow, on my 900mhz celeron it usually takes about 5 minutes. Are you ripping the subs directly off the DVD ? (as opposed to using the vob files that has been ripped to HD).
          Last edited by khp; 29 Jan 2003, 05:50 PM.
          Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
          http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• thanhvn
            • Jun 2002

I usually: (1) rip the movie to HD using SmartRipper 2.40 (Movie mode), then from the HD (2) frameserve it using DVD2AVI 1.76 with Forced Film, (3) use GKnot 0.27 to index the subtitle stream and then encode the movie (which takes 6-12 hours, by the way).

For the subtitle part, it takes between 20-30 minutes 95% of the time (for about half a dozen movies that had subtitles) using the "OK" button (I've never experienced a 5-minute indexing, by the way), which by the way only works about 50% of the time. There's nothing unusual about my method for ripping DVDs and I can't believe all the movies I ripped were corrupted in some way.

As I said, switching to the "Crossed my fingers" button, the success rate climbed to 99%. Moreover, once the movies were encoded, the video/audio/subtitle quality of those that used the "Crossed my fingers" button are just as flawless as those that used the "OK" button.

My question is: if I switch to using the "Crossed my fingers" button ALL the time instead of using the "OK" button first and if that fails use the "Crossed my fingers" button (a) would I missed out on anything (technical or otherwise)? (b) is it advisable?

Comment

Working...