X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • solution
    • Feb 2003

quality between DVDx and FlaskMPEG~

Hi everyone~
    I have tried using DVDx 2.1 and FlaskMPEG 0.7.8.39 to encode some DVD movie, I found that the quality encode quality of FlaskMPEG is much BETTER than DVDx. Especially when you resize the movie, you will found that DVDx got lots of ZigZag and quantizer even you use BiCubic encode. I have try use BiCubic and Trilinear, the results are also ZigZag and quantizer. But instead using FlaskMPEG, at the same bitrate as inside DVDx, with using BiCubic resize, the quality is better than DVDx output, and, if you choose HQBiCubic, wow, the quality is EXCELLENT! the graphic is really nice (I think, and I haven't use MPEG2AVI, which claims better qualtiy than FlaskMPEG.... and I haven't tried VirtualDub and GK, so don't know their output quality) At this moment, FlaskMPEG is already satisfy for me~
    And also, another strong point of FlaskMPEG is that, the de-interlace function of FlaskMPEG is also better than DVDx, the de-interlace quality is good in FlaskMPEG and so that the output movie is smooth! (But be careful that just check the "De-interlace" function and don't check the "Blend Frame" function which will make the movie choking-like while in some slow-motion part....)
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

Re: quality between DVDx and FlaskMPEG~

Originally posted by solution
    you will found that DVDx got lots of ZigZag and quantizer even you use BiCubic encode
    By ZigZag I assume you mean interlaceing, which of course will only apply to NTSC movies (and a small number of PAL movies) I'am not familliar with DVDX so I can't tell you if it has any settings to reduce that problem.

And I have absolutly no idear what you mean by quantizer, I'am pretty sure you don't really mean quantizer. A quantizer is just a number.
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

Re: quality between DVDx and FlaskMPEG~

Man . . . you have yet to find what quality encoding truly means.

Give GordianKnot (with DivX 5.x) a try and after that, do update this 'comparison' of yours.

'nuff said.

Comment

• solution
        • Feb 2003

"And I have absolutly no idear what you mean by quantizer, I'am pretty sure you don't really mean quantizer. A quantizer is just a number."

the quantizer, at here, I mean those "small square" appear on some higher speed motion scene though the video~ maybe my english get wrong, doesn't those "small square" is called quantizer....??

"Give GordianKnot (with DivX 5.x) a try and after that, do update this 'comparison' of yours."

doesn't GK in fact use virtualdub as encoder? so the quality is same as other "depends on virtualdub" software such as MPEG2AVI, doesn't it?

maybe virtualdub encoding quality is better than FlaskMPEG, i will have a try later~

Comment

• khp
          The Other
          • Nov 2001

Originally posted by solution
          the quantizer, at here, I mean those "small square" appear on some higher speed motion scene though the video~ maybe my english get wrong, doesn't those "small square" is called quantizer....??
          NO, that is called macro blocks.
          Quantizers are numbers, each frame is encoded using a quantizer between 2 and 31. Using lower quantizer produce better quality, but use more bits.
          Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
          http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

Working...