X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

DTV to AVI Conversion Guide

I have just finished writing a new guide about converting a digital TV capture (in .ts format) to AVI.

I decided to write this guide because of the large size of DTV captures, which is not convenient for storage at all. Converting it to AVI/DivX makes more sense, IMO.

You can read the guide here :

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • rking_dvf
    • Feb 2003

Thank you very much for the guide!

I found the TSR program helpful in obtaining the Audio and Video PIDs needed for the HDTVtoMPEG2 program. It is available here:
    digital, digest, dvd, divx, dvdr, dvd+r, dvd-r, rip, copy, ripping, convert, backup, back, up, shrink, xvid, software, download, news, guide, article

Run the .ts (.tp) against the program and if it can analyze it, it will provide a packet listing along with PID information.

The video PIDs are fairly easy to pick out of the listing, the audio PID should be next to the video.

I found the PID's for my recording to be V:0x0031 A:0x0034.

Comment

• Xesdeeni
      • Feb 2003

HDTVToMPEG2 seems to cut off the start of the video. I specifically used the clip from your guide (ESPN_HD.ts), and it looks like the first 120 frames are missing. BBDMUX does not appear to cut off the frames (that's how I counted the missing frames ). Have you noticed this as well?

Xesdeeni

Comment

• techno
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Nov 2001

yeh I was just looking on your site Admin and saw that guide - thanks another thing to experiment for myself

I still love my capture technique but wouldnt mind experimenting your way to

Comment

• edliaz
          • Oct 2003

Thank you!

Comment

• DarkFoon
            • May 2004

Great guide! But I have one small quarell with it. I think the author doesn't quite understand how joint stereo works and that it actaully makes a *higher* quality (sounding) mp3 at the same bitrate than an mp3 regularly encoded in stereo mode.
            There are 2 kinds of joint stereo, actually. MS, which is good; and IS, which is bad, so very bad. MS, using lossless algebra, seperates the L/R channels into a similarities/differences (Mid/Side, hence MS) channels. Since most audio files have very few dissimilarites between the left and right channels, the differences channel is often very small, giving its spare data bits to the larger channel. This reduces the distortion that makes mp3s sound bad. On decoding, the player uses the same lossless algebra, only in reverse, to restore the Left and Right channels to normal.
            IS just plain sucks. it means intensity stereo. It destroys the phase information on really high, and really low frequencies because the human ear can't detect the direction the sound is coming from (or so it thinks). Its sort of like a really crappy version of a 2 speaker stereo with a single subwoofer: all the low frequencies come out of the sub-woofer thus you don't know which channel (or direction) the sound really came from.

wow, that went longer than I planned. I doubt anybody will ready that its so long...
            Well that's my 2 cents.
            =^.^=

Comment

• kooter
              • Oct 2004

i'm glad we can get our tv on dvd.
              but this is alot of info for a newby like myself. hopefully in a new version of dvd shrink there won't have to be any converting. is there any rumors if somebody is already working on this?

Comment

• sifiguy
                • Mar 2005

Convert to 5.1

I followed the guide and have converted many HDTV programs.
                It works great. Have you tried or know if it is possible to keep or convert the ac3 5.1 audio file instead of ending up with a stereo mp3. It would be nice to be able to burn the file to DVD with DD 5.1 audio

Thanks

Comment

• guada 2
                  • Feb 2005

This guide is correct. Good work Admin

Other methods are possible:

- PVAStrumento
                  - MPEGSchnitt
                  - Virtualdubmod

or

- HDTV to MPEG2 or ProjectX (java)
                  - DVD2AVI 1.77.3
                  - Avisynth 2.55 or superior
                  (a particular attention is asked: IVCT/ Deinterlace / intelligent recadrage in relation to the ratio and the final resolution in point)
                  - VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.1

Bye

Comment

• guada 2
                    • Feb 2005

Some complements of information always useful signed Source Doom9.
                    Look:

Comment

• clueless_wonder
                      • Apr 2005

Converting this stuff is driving me to drink...well drink more any way.

I've followed the directions, but when I reach the point where I open my d2v file in VFAPI, but it won't open the files. I'd give you an error message, but as you know, it doesn't give you any real error message.

Any ideas?

Comment

• rednev
                        • Jul 2005

dtv2avi

that looks like I might have to try this.
                        But what if u have recorded it in native mpeg with ac3 sound
                        and you would like to back that up to a disc.
                        is there anything that i can use that will accept ac3 sound!
                        I have found that the ac3 sound chanels if recorded in tp/ts
                        then when you convert them the sound can b out of sync.
                        Last edited by rednev; 26 Jul 2005, 08:44 PM.

Comment

• sifiguy
                          • Mar 2005

AC3 Mystery

I have tried many things but haven't figured out a way to be able to convert and save the ac3 soundtrack. I have to use mp3 or enhanced mp3. I am still trying to figure it out.

Comment

• karnos
                            • Aug 2005

Problem converting TS to MPEG2!!! PLEASE HELP!

Hi Everybody,

I am new here. My name is Leon aka Karnos.

I have just started with the HDTV thing and needed actually to convert the TS to MPEG2. All looked good. However - when I try to play output MPEG file in Windows Media Player it does not play it. If I try to play it in WIN DVD 7 - then it shows garbled image and squeezed to the half of the screen (I'll try to attach the image printscreen).

What could be the problem? Please help!

Another question - I have a movie I absolutely love and soon have it in TS format. The only player that seems to have frame capture abilities that can play TS files is WIN DVD 7. When I tried to playback TS sample file it dimmed off the snapshot button and doesn't allow to capture frame. When I open another file, like MPEG - it does allow capture file. What could be the problem?

Thank you very much in advance.

Leon aka Karnos
                            Attached Files

Comment

• techno
                              Digital Video Master
                              Digital Video Master
                              • Nov 2001

the reason for it not playing in WMP is simply bcos WMP didnt pick up any DVD filters - winDVD DVD filters are poor
                              if you use cyberlink powerdvd then it will work fine and that is also the reason why your image is all "garbled"

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎