X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SecShade
    • Mar 2003

I can't solve it. Can you?

Hi:

Please help. I'd downloaded an MPEG-1 file from the web but it came with a problem that I can't think of a solution.

The problem occurs near the end: the audio goes mute for about 15-20 seconds and then it continues from the point it was "paused". But in the meanwhile the video continued to run, so when audio returns the video is played in advance to the audio. When the movie reaches its end, the video stops as well as the clock on the media player but the audio continues to play to its end.

I'd "de-multiplexed" the movie with TMPEGenc in order to use some audio editor to fix the audio, but once it has been de-multiplexed, the audio error disappeared; furthermore, the de-multiplexed video also appears to be OK and doesn't freeze at its end (while waiting to the end of the audio).

So I re-multiplexed the files thinking my problem has ended, but found in surprise that the same problem re-ocurred at the very same time of the movie.

How can I overcome this issue?

Been trying to avoid the re-encoding solution due to the lost of quality of the image and sound. I'd prefer to solve this with a direct copy without re-encoding.

Has anybody found a similar problem? Is there any software that can diagnose (or fix) my movie (already tried VCDgear without results)?

Thx in advance.
    Second Shade
  • SKD_Tech
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2003

try not to double post like this...... This is also in the VCD Encoding forum where it should be

Comment

• ShuMO
      • Dec 2002

looked in VCD forum

I didn't see the post there so let me shoot it here.
      To me it sounds like a bad key frame problem. I'm aware key frames are specific to the compression of video data, but I also believe they carry timing information for the audio sync as well.

Try this:
      Use Vdubmod to output the audio only stream.

Direct stream out the a/v upto 200 frames or so prior to the spot and call it 'part1.avi'. (dont forget to endcut at keyframe -1 and savewithout audio).
      direct stream out the 'mid' segment from the keyframe you used and grab an additional 200 frames past the spot where the audio kicks back in. save as part2.avi. again cut at a keyframe -1 without audio.
      take the last section off to part3.avi (dont forget no audio).

Playback the 2nd segment. If this fails (hopefully ) then drop this into an avs and frameserve it back to vdub. save it as part2b.avi and match the compression setup of the original file so vDub will accept it (yes. I know. we're cheating and recompressing which you specifically didn't want to do but ONLY the bad stuff hopefully)

Reassemble the 3 parts using the append avi and add the mp3 back in. Give it a test.
      ShuMO

Comment

• SecShade
        • Mar 2003

OK.

Thanks a lot for your answer.

I'll try it and let you know in a couple of days.

Thanks Again

Comment

• SecShade
          • Mar 2003

I'm still trying

Hi, ShuMO:

Paying more attention to your answer I realised that it's probably the best approach to the problem, furthermore it's so simply that I'm kind of angry to haven't think of that before; anyway...

I forgot to tell that I'm working with an MPEG-1 video file (with .mpg extension) not an ".avi" video file, therefore the VirtualDubMod program is unable to process the video.

I tried to follow your method under TMPEGenc, which was developed to process ".mpg" video files, but reached a little problem that I'm been unable to solve

1.- I'd splitted the video in three parts, all OK.
          2.- I've re-encoded the part 2 using the standard settings and fixing to 25 frames/sec and to 1152 Kbps bitrate, as the original movie.
          3.- Whenever I try to re-make the whole movie (to "glue" the three parts togheter again) I got the message:
          "File part2.mpg is not compatible with other MPEG file"

Tried several settings to re-encode the part2 with the same results.

How can I make all files compatible? How can I tell which parameters are different between those files?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Comment

• SKD_Tech
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Jan 2003

Well If this helps at all can you re-encode to AVI using VDUB? I am pretty sure you can so go ahead and try that then do what he tells ya

Comment

• ShuMO
              • Dec 2002

sorry for the delay in reply

my exp in mpeg joining is that its much like avi's. you need to make sure that the file setup ie; the audio and video streams are rebuilt exactly as they were. (framerate, mpeg compression 1,2,3,4 etc) and resolution.

But before you even go down that slippery slope, does the 'split' parts play? Parts 1 and 3 now seem ok and in sync to the audio? if thats the case, then maybe you've solved your problem and now just need to make sure that the 2nd part that you've 'fixed' meets the setting of the first and 3rd parts as I mentioned above.
              VirtualDubMod should open an MPEG file btw. Use it to check the file information to determine the AV track stuff. I believe also that new Gspot also gives good info back for you to use as well.
              gl
              ShuMO

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

"I've re-encoded the part 2 using the standard settings and fixing to 25 frames/sec and to 1152 Kbps bitrate, as the original movie."

Do EXACTLY the same thing with Part1 and Part3...

Comment

• SecShade
                  • Mar 2003

Thank for your answers

Hi, people:

Thanks a lot for your answers.

To ShuMO:

I've tried to re-encode the part2.mpg to exactly the same mpeg type (1), the very same resolution (320x240) and framerate (25 frames/sec) and bitrate (1152 Kbps), but TMPEG keeps telling me that the re-encoded part2.mpg is not compatible with the rest of the files. Tried to glue parts 1 & 3 (not re-encoded) and worked fine without problems. Audio is OK, compatibility problem is found only on video.

VirtualDubMod can open MPEG files indeed, but it cannot save them, AFAIK, unless you install some filter or something. I'd prefer to use TMPEGenc that is designed to work with mpegs. If I have to, I'll look for that filter to work with VirtualDubMod, if I don't find a solution for TMPEGenc.

Part1 works OK. Part2 repeats the very same problem of the original file. And, surprisingly, Part3 also has the same problem. Haven't told this before because I'd tried to do it without sound, and haven't reached the part of testing the results. I've now tried it, including the soundtrack, and found that Part3 also has the same problem.

Now I'm thinking of re-encoding both parts 2 and 3, as they both are not longer that 1 minute. The last 1 minute of the movie (no credits part at the end of this movie). But I'm afraid I'll face the same incompatibility between parts as before.

VDubMod shows some interesting file info that had already checked (resolution, frame rate, bitrate) and some other info that I'm not able to use or even think of what it's good for. I'm talking about the "I-frame", the "P-frame", and the "B-frame" parameters, don't know how interpret them or even to use it, maybe that's the quid of this problem.

I'll give it a try on Gspot ASAP, and I'll let you know if something interesting appears.

In short, I'm stuck with that compatibility issue; if I can't solve it I'll try to do it on VirtualDubMod (but I'm afraid that the results would be the same). I'd like to try to know a little more about compatibility of MPEG files, that I believe is a not-so-hard task.

To SKD_Tech and setarip:

Thanks for your answers. I'll prefer to use a re-encoding solution as my last resource, when everything else have failed. I can tolerarte the re-encoding of the last minute of the movie, but i'd prefer not to lose quality on the rest of it.
                  Last edited by SecShade; 10 Mar 2003, 06:37 AM.

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Jan 2003

No problem and I do agree on the re-encoding thing I just didn't know how long you have been working on it until u posted

Comment

Working...