Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lando242
    • Mar 2003

Encoding problems in low motion areas

I'm trying to encode the Opening to "Love Hina" and have run into a few problems:

My main issue is the title. The video leading into the title and the displaying of the title all have very little motion going on onscreen so when I encode it (even in high motion using mutli-pass settings) it freezes the image and doesn't take another keyframe until the title has passed. End result is the title is never displayed! I've re-encoded it sever tiles with several differen't settings with no change in this problem

Next I'm having issues with minor freezing in points of high motion. There is a lot of zooming and panning in the opening and in many of these areas it will hic-up during high motion. I encoding at 1,000kbps and have a file size of about 10 megs. I'd like to keep it under 15megs if I can. I'm also open to using differen't codecs such as MPEG or what have you.

My source is the R-1 DVD (NTSC) ripped with SmartRipper 2.41.
    I'm encoding it with FlasKMPEG version 7.8.39 and trying DivX 5.0.3 for video and the Divx audio compressor at 160kbps/48kHz for sound.
    I'm encoding at 1,000kbps with a video res. of 512x348 and the deinterlace option enabled. I'm using the Mutlipass, nth Pass mode with High Motion setting in bitrate modulation (-0.25).

My system in a 1.125ghz Athlon with 160 megs of RAM (I know, too little) and a G-Force 1 card made by Creative using the latest Drivers and DX9.

Any suggestions would be great.

Lando242
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

"512x348"
    Use a more acceptable resolution of 512x384, that conforms to the 4:3 aspect ratio.

I have encoded the Love Hina opening before, though I was going for maximum quality at 50MB. My source is the same as yours. I did not encounter any problems with this particular opening, so I believe the problem lies with the procedure that you are using.

I recommend that you try the older and more reliable Flask versions. Or if you are feeling adventureous enough, use Avisynth and its accompanying Decomb filter, and compress in VirtualDub.

Comment

• Lando242
      • Mar 2003

512x348"
      Use a more acceptable resolution of 512x384, that conforms to the 4:3 aspect ratio.

You mean like 320x240? Well being my first video I just used the highest video res I'd seen for such things, which was 512x348.

But in the end I messed around with my codecs a bit and DivX 4 High Motion for video and MP3 for the sound. I set the bitrate to 1500 and keyframes to 7 and it turned out perfect. No skips, pauses or anything and a file size of 13.6 megs }

Lando242

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

Whatever works for you.

Comment

• t3ch
          H4x0r of Gibsons
          • Mar 2003

As a side note, that's the peppiest freakin song ever.

You just can't help but become the happiest person on the planet when listening to it.

*dances*
          OGSTH! my webpage
          ----------------------------
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard, be evil.

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

Originally posted by t3ch
            As a side note, that's the peppiest freakin song ever.

You just can't help but become the happiest person on the planet when listening to it.

*dances*
            That's quite alright. Typical of Megumi Hayashibara.

The theme songs used throughout the episodes are really nice and heart-warming pieces to listen as well.

Comment

• weezul
              • Sep 2002

Re: Encoding problems in low motion areas

Originally posted by Lando242

My system in a 1.125ghz Athlon with 160 megs of RAM (I know, too little)
              i make 640x320 widescreen Ripz on my 533MHz 96MB Ram and theyr at 600k bitrate and the kwality is good enough for me. If i play them on hig hkwality tho they slow down, so i play on medium kwality nad it is good.
              -------------------------------
              were you expecting a signature?

Comment

• Enchanter
                Old member
                • Feb 2002

Re: Re: Encoding problems in low motion areas

Originally posted by weezul
                i make 640x320 widescreen Ripz on my 533MHz 96MB Ram
                You made a widescreen clip off a video having an aspect ratio of 4:3 ???

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Jan 2003

I bet that screwed up the image a little. Oh well no worse than me I encoded a VCD today Widescreen to normal fullscrean ]

typo but I don't know how to spell it

Comment

• weezul
                    • Sep 2002

well ther was me thinking 640x320 WAS 16:9?

im confused i used the source from the DVD and did it at that size. It was alerady a Widescreen DVD. If i get a non widescreen DVD i do it at 640X480.
                    plz dont confuse me
                    -------------------------------
                    were you expecting a signature?

Comment

Working...