X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • angel
    • Nov 2001

how to erase DVD+RW?

Hi

I bought a DVD+RW for use as testing, since I'm a newbie when it comes to DVD, and I want to experiment with stuff.

I use ifoedit to create the disc image file, and use DVD Decryptor to burn to the DVD media. However, it wouldn't let me write on it, saying that the media is not formatted.

So, I right-clicked on the drive name, select Format, as you'd do when formatting floppies or HDD. Now, DVD Decryptor is able to write the image file onto the disc.

The problem is now I want to burn new image file, and need to blank this disc. I've tried Nero, CloneCD, Easy CD Creator and all of them failed when attempting to erase the disc: "Target SCSI error" is given.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. My DVD drive is NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A.
  • McMillan
    • Feb 2003

Try right clicking it again and select "format"...
    This might help, since you've enabled it that way in the first place.
    What windows are you running?
    ...this MIGHT not be the best picture that I have...

Comment

• angel
      • Nov 2001

Ack, forgot about tat. I'm running on Windows XP SP1.

Yeah, I tried right-clicking it and selecting format, a data protect error comes out.

I was told that erasing DVD RW is the same as erasing CD RW, dunno how true that is.

Thanx for the suggestion anyway.

Comment

• McMillan
        • Feb 2003

Hmmm that should be true, I mean erasing DVD-RW. It should be the same as ordinary CD-RW. However, try this:
        1. Use NERO and try getting as new version as possible
        2. Load the DVD and select media info
        3. If the session isn't closed, close it. Or, try to open last session (on RW media that should be possible)
        4. Try erasing it after doing this actions
        5. If that fails, buy another DVD-RW

Comment

• angel
          • Nov 2001

Hi McMillan

What do u mean by open/close session? To check media info, u press Ctrl+I right?

I've attached the screen capture for the disc info, hope you can give me some pointers.

If all fail, can someone at least tell me the proper way to write to a DVD+RW? Why can't we just load the image file, and burn directly and all that? Thanx.
          Attached Files

Comment

• McMillan
            • Feb 2003

Ummm, right. That's what I had on mind. Your CD-RW isn't fully recorded, it has around 4GB free space. The session is closed, but the disc is not. Try recording some more, and check "close disc" on burn bialog. Are you using nero express? If yes, return to the main program, and add some more stuff. Choose "close disc" and than try to erase the disc. It should make no difference what soever if the disc is closed or not, but give it a shot.
            Does the max. recording speed on the CD-RW disc exceeds the speed of your burner? There are ordinary RW discs that are 12X re-writable, but 4X burners can't erase them after recording... Some can't even read them. Make sure that your RW is the same speed as yor device.
            DVD ROM is supposed to record data among other things (DVD movies,etc) . Were you recording a movie? Can your stand alone player play that disc? I don't have DVD burner, so, is there in NERO options some kind of "typical" DVD? Like, when you want new project, does he offers various types of DVD?
            I'm only guessing here, since, as I've said I don't have a DVD burner...
            As for other ways of recording a movie DVD, maybe someone else can give you more info... The magneto-optical (re-writable) discs have around 75% less reflection than standard discs, so there might be a problem playing that disc on stand alone players or other DVD ROMs. One more idea would be to take that RW disc to some of your friends that also have DVD burner and to try erasing it there.
            Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
            take care

nice manga picture, though...
            Last edited by McMillan; 18 Mar 2003, 08:58 PM.

Comment

• McMillan
              • Feb 2003

oh, one more thing---
              on the NERO home page, there is a manual to be downloaded - a nice way to start learning about DVD recording and NERO capabilities. There might be a solution for your problem.

Nero Platinum - 7 programmes en une suite ! ✓ Montage vidéo ✓ Streaming ✓ Sécurité des données ✓ Conversion ✓ Gravure ✓ Radio mondiale ► Plus d'informations

Comment

Working...