X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alwaysblue
    • Jan 2003

War on Iraq thread

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The oldest voice in the U.S. Congress rose on Wednesday to denounce as misguided President Bush (news - web sites)'s march to war with Iraq (news - web sites).

"Today I weep for my country," said West Virginia Democrat Sen. Robert Byrd. "No more is the image of America one of strong, yet benevolent peacekeeper. ... Around the globe, our friends mistrust us, our word is disputed, our intentions are questioned.

"We flaunt our superpower status with arrogance," Byrd said, adding: "After war has ended the United States will have to rebuild much more than the country of Iraq. We will have to rebuild America's image around the globe."

Byrd, who has been a leading foe on Capitol Hill of war with Iraq, spoke in a nearly empty Senate chamber about four hours before Bush's 8 p.m. EST deadline for Saddam Hussein (news - web sites) to leave Iraq or face a U.S.-led invasion.

"May God continue to bless the United States of America in the troubled days ahead, and may we somehow recapture the vision which for the present eludes us," Byrd said.

As the white-haired senator concluded his remarks, a number of people in the visitor's gallery rose and applauded before they were admonished to be quiet.

At 85, Byrd is now the oldest member of Congress as well as the longest serving. He was first elected to the Senate in 1958, after six years in the U.S. House of Representatives.

Byrd was among those who voted last year against the congressional resolution that authorized Bush to use force in his showdown with Saddam, and the senator has given frequent floor speeches since then warning against war.

Polls on Wednesday showed strong American support for a war but widespread opposition to it overseas.

"The case this administration tries to make to justify its fixation with war is tainted by charges of falsified documents and circumstantial evidence," Byrd said.

Despite administration suggestions to the contrary, Byrd said, "There is no credible information to connect Saddam Hussein to 9/11."

The senator said, "We cannot convince the world of the necessity of this war for one simple reason. This is a war of choice."

Byrd said that instead of negotiating, Washington demanded obedience or threatened recrimination. "Instead of isolating Saddam Hussein, we seem to have isolated ourselves."

He said many questions about the looming war were unanswered -- including how long it would last, what it would cost, what its ultimate mission was.

"A pall has fallen over the Senate chamber," Byrd said. "We avoid our solemn duty to debate the one topic on the minds of all Americans, even while scores of thousands of our sons and daughters faithfully do their duty in Iraq."
    Last edited by admin; 20 Mar 2003, 11:54 PM.
  • alcskid
    Movie Lovers
    • Jan 2003

War on Iraq

I heard from my local radio station said that Sirene Airstrike warning had been release in Baghdad. It's mean the war was BEGIN !

Just CRUSHED them all

I'm on your side BUSH !
    Last edited by admin; 20 Mar 2003, 07:10 PM.
    ...My Foot Print...

Comment

• alcskid
      Movie Lovers
      • Jan 2003

War on Iraq begins

There will only be a limited period of darkness available for attack
      Explosions have been heard in Baghdad, an hour and a half after the US deadline for Saddam Hussein to go into exile or face war expired.
      The skies above Baghdad lit up with tracer fire and a large pall of smoke was seen in the south of the city.

Minutes after the first blasts were heard at about 0245 GMT, President Bush's spokesman Ari Fleischer said: "The opening stages of the disarmament of the Iraqi regime have begun."

President Bush is due to make an address at 2215 Washington time (0315 GMT).

...My Foot Print...

Comment

• SKD_Tech
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Jan 2003

There were some planes that just fired in a no fly zone (we fired on it)

Comment

• alcskid
          Movie Lovers
          • Jan 2003

"We will accept no outcome but Victory !" Said Mr. Bush.

...My Foot Print...

Comment

• admin
            Administrator
            • Nov 2001

War on Iraq thread

Use this thread to post about the war on Iraq.
            Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• Dude2003
              • Mar 2003

War...hello..it's 2003......

there as to be a better way.....1st I am a new mom....(it's a boy born on valentines day 2003 (hence the name Dude2003).
              I still dont understand why we are at WAR?. I thought they were still looking for Bin Luden....Hello... why start messing with a new manic?..I am not for war.. not because i am not a proud American.. but because i am a MOM... what are those women supose to do? where can the women and children go? So our troops are gonna kill innocent women and childern? look at it like that... if suddam decided to drop bombs over here what would we do? there is no where for use to go.. Bush would take his family and go into some tunnel underground... and WE... MY FELLOW AMERICANS.. would just hide under our beds.. or in a school gym.. THIS ARE LIVES HERE....FAMILIES... SCREW HUSSIEN... HE IS NOT MESSING WITH US....leave him alone.. before he drop a bomb over here... and it would be bushes( well our fault
              If you can't dazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bull****. I'm not smart, but I like to observe. Millions saw the apple fall, but Newton was the one who asked why.

Comment

• The Edge
                Digital Video Expert
                Digital Video Expert
                • Jan 2003

We're living in one crazy ass world folks.

Edge
                "…I know the industry is formally opposed to that kind of thing [bootlegging] but I'm not. I don't have a problem with it at all." -- Paul McGuiness"

Comment

• chickeneater
                  Digital Video Expert
                  Digital Video Expert
                  • Apr 2002

One question that I have is... Who is going to take over office in Iraq after Saddam is assassinated? Who will take the "evil" away?

I have noticed that a few days ago, Most people were against this war... Now, there are more people that are For the war... at 10:00PM for me, I heard that 20 cruise missles have been launched (around 10MILLION USD each)

Gas prices are going up and taxes are getting higher to support this war. the lowest in town is $2.62 a gallon. One time the gas at the same station was 0.84 cents!
                  FFDShow filters
                  Guliverkli's Media Player Classic

Comment

• The Edge
                    Digital Video Expert
                    Digital Video Expert
                    • Jan 2003

That's crazy. €.97 cent for me (about tha same in dollars I think)

I have noticed that a few days ago, Most people were against this war... Now, there are more people that are For the war
                    Yeah, even the house of common in London has changed. Now it's like "Ok, lets wish our boys/girls luck and we hope there are no civialian casualties ".

Who is going to take over office in Iraq after Saddam is assassinated? Who will take the "evil" away?
                    Sure it was america that put Saddam there in the first place. Maybe they'll get it right next time!

Edge
                    "…I know the industry is formally opposed to that kind of thing [bootlegging] but I'm not. I don't have a problem with it at all." -- Paul McGuiness"

Comment

• Dude2003
                      • Mar 2003

Bush needs to fill-up

You can tell the the President does not live in the real world...If we had pay for gas he would re think this war thing... gas has jump almost 89 cent a gallon in the last 2 months...my husband travels round trip 47miles daily to work... then i still have errands to run... we live in the largest city land wise in the US and it is no less then 10 miles from and destination... we fill up twice a week.. we spend more on gas than diapers ever week
                      If you can't dazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bull****. I'm not smart, but I like to observe. Millions saw the apple fall, but Newton was the one who asked why.

Comment

• Batman
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Jan 2002

The sequel republicans have been waiting for to Gulf War I is here.....Gulf War II promises more bombs! more mayhem! more madness! more action! more potential for casualties!

If only it were a movie...

No doubt this war sets a precedent:
                        its okay to invade other countries so that we can get cheap gas and diapers
                        Last edited by Batman; 21 Mar 2003, 01:56 AM.

Comment

• Dude2003
                          • Mar 2003

batman....

i have never and will never think or say say that war is ok for cheaper gas or diapers... read my first reply.....

Comment

• Batman
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • Jan 2002

The statement I posted was aimed at the American leadership and government, not the American people (many of whom have opposed war).

Comment

• alwaysblue
                              • Jan 2003

How sad, my 10 year old and I were watching Star Search last night when things errupted, the way the anchorman was commenting my son said it sounded like a football game.........game plan???? isn't that a sporting term???? Shameful is all I can say!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎