Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Adreno
    • Feb 2003

HUGE problems with Div-X and XVID encoding

Problems in short: Despite the codecs and programs I use, encoded movie is always either very bad image quality, or playing it in any player takes 100% of processor capacity and that appears to be not enough, as fps drops to 2-5! Another problem is that I seem to be entirely unable to encode audio into MP3, despite the program I use. There is no MP3 possibility within the available codecs list.

Longer story: last new year me and my cousins decided to film a kung-fu parody, and it worked out better than we first thought. Altho, the real problems appeared after editing: Adobe Premiere 6.0 did not have the possibility to encode audio into MP3, and I tried various different codecs with various settings, but either video-audio was entirely out of sync, or image quality sucked ass in a serious manner, or it required more processor capacity than my Thunderbird 1,2GHZ could give.

I tried downloading Premiere 6.5. All the problems remained. But I kept trying different combinations of codecs and settings.

And so, I finally managed to succesfully encode the movie into Cinepak, with a little lack in quality, making it playable taking only around 40% of processor capacity and having the audio and video nearly going in same time. Problem with Cinepak is, that this 3min short movie requires 400 mb of space.

So, now that I had the movie in one piece of AVI I tried if VirtualDub would do the job. It had the same problem with the lack of mp3 encoding possibility and all the same problems with DIVX and XVID encoding: Either image quality is very very bad or FPS is under 10 as the result of not having a fast enough processor. And, as a sidenote, I have no 'real' problems playing Div-X and XVID movies, they take about 40-50% processor capacity and play smooth, with full fps, with nearly DVD image quality.

So, it's a problem of encoding, not decoding. During these 3 days I've worked my ass off for this movie and I've tried uninstalling the codecs and cleaning the registry, then installing them again, and things like that, but nothing seems to make a change.

Or maybe it' just that I dont know how to put the codec settings right? What ever it is, just help me out here please!
Working...