Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DeVNuLL
    • Oct 2002

Gordian Knot & Divx Pro 5.02

I was just wondering what so called "rules" that people have when encoding with Gordian Knot and Divx Pro 5.02, as to when they would go for more then one CD (700MB)?

Like do some of you do two CD encoding of a movie if it is over a certain amount of time? or if below a certain bitrate, to try and increase it?

Just wanted to know what some people think towards what they normally have in mind.

Thank you in advance,

Devnull
  • SKD_Tech
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2003

I normally go by time if it is lets say 90 minutes long a 80 minute CD will not fit it so CD1 will be filled and CD2 will barely have anything on it so then what I do is I increase the bit rate where both CDs are full

Comment

• khp
      The Other
      • Nov 2001

Generally I try to use a resolution between 704*X and 576*X and stay around 0.2 bits per pixel.

But how much I like the movie, is also a factor.
      Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
      http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• SKD_Tech
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Jan 2003

Yes I agree if it is a movie I like I try my best to make it look really good. If it is one of my least favorites my end AVI file looks OK but horrible bit rate

Comment

• LaFouine
          Platinum Member
          Platinum Member
          • Dec 2001

It depends also of the audio quality you whant to have in.

I always encode my divx with the Dolby digital AC3 sound. In the case of a 5.1 sound, I do not go over 60/70 minutes of video per CD, in order to keep a very good video quality, except for cartoons 'cause my kids don't really care if quality is not "that" good. In that case, sometimes I encode a full 80 min movie with AC3 5.1 sound on a single CD.

As khp said, the Gordian Knot bits/(pixel*frame) is a good indicator. Around or over 0.2 means video quality will be very good. It try to stay in this range. If this ratio is much higher than 0.2 (let's say 0.4), I increase the video size, which makes the ratio go down.

Normally my horizontal video size is always 576. In the case described before, I can go until 704, but never more.

Sometimes, I also encode DivX with DTS sound. In that case you come more quickly to the limit. No hope to encode more than 100min movie on 2 CDs. That's the maximum to keep a very good video quality.

What I can say, is that I watch my DivX on a 16/9 very big screen and I can't really see the difference between the original DVD and my DivX. Moreover I have an external home cinema audio decoder (that's why I always use DD AC3 or DTS, never MP3), and using S/PDIF transmission makes it really incredible !!

Hope this help you.
          Rip In Peace
          LaFouine

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎