X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • burn out
    • Apr 2003

Media Player Classic

Hello everybody,
    just dropped in in a hurry. I downloaded the media player classic RAR file and tried to extract it. Win Rar shows the following errors:
    Unknown method in mpcexe
    No files to extract
    Can't execute mpc.exe

Oh man. I'm helpless. Please gimme just a pointer or s.th. I hve no time to read hundreds of pages just to get able to install this Program.
    I'd entirely appretiate any sort of help.
    BTW. I'm new to this. Thought that this one is an alternative to the Real Player that bites deep into my OS I think.
    What do you guys think about MPC?
  • t3ch
    H4x0r of Gibsons
    • Mar 2003

MPC as in.. Windows MPC?? If so, it's already on your computer

c:\program files\windows media player\mplayer2.exe

Just set the file associations under it's properties.

Err, you ARE using windows, right? And RealPlayer is this biggest pos crap ever made. I don't know of any players that play .rm, so that's the only thing I use it for... even then I'm reluctant
    OGSTH! my webpage
    ----------------------------
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard, be evil.

Comment

• burn out
      • Apr 2003

Big Hello to Dallas,

Looks like a misunderstanding. Check out this address:
      http://www.divx-digest.com/software/media_player_classic.html

I read a thread on www.hydrogenaudio.org where some folk mentioned this one to be a nice player. I lost the thread, and it wasn't too detailed anyway as this forum section was MP3 oriented.

Comment

• UncasMS
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2001

are you using an up2date version of winrar??

Comment

• burn out
          • Apr 2003

Guess I solved the problem. Thing is that I tried to load a new WinAmp3 version skin.
          I tried to follow the instructions that I copied for you below. But it didn't help though. Wert to the WA 2x section and got me the skins for that version. Oh BTW I'm using WA 2.8.
          They install right away w/o any problem. Only thing is that although I've set a specific skin to be my default skin, it would pop up but switch to an other skinn once I start playing a song. Hm!!! Any thoughts?

Here's the copy from the WA sticky thread

hiphip
          I formatted yesterday. Went to put winamp 2.8 back onto my computer and saw that 3.0 was out. I gave 3.0 a try but hated how sluggish it was and how you can't double click for file ID anymore, so I uninstalled and went back to 2.8 After that I went skin searching, found a few i liked, and was unable to load them. They are in the correct directory, I didn't mess with the extensions or anything, but they won't load. They appear as an unknown file type (icon is msdefult). I thought maybe winamp3 had something to do with it, so i uninstalled 2.8... deleted some ini files from c:/windows and then took out the registry entry for winamp3, rebooted, and reinstalled 2.8. But its the same deal, they just won't load. They don't appear in the skins browser (alt +s). I never had this problem before and i've been using winamp for years. Does anyone have any ideas that would help me ?
          Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

08-15-2002 09:34 AM

DJEgg
          From: The winamp.com site is currently being re-optimized & redesigned due to the switcharound with wa2 and wa3 components etc. All problems should be fixed very soon.

At the moment, all WA2 skins from http://classic.winamp.com/skins/ are downloading as WA3 skins with the .WAL extension

First, make sure "hide extensions for known filetypes" isn't checkmarked in Windows "Folder Options -> View" tab, then goto the dir where the skin files are (usually the ...\Winamp\Skins dir), rt click the skin file, select "rename", and change the extension from .wal to .wsz (in some weird cases, this will be .sz or .wz to .wsz)

For those asking "how?", basically, you type it in manually, so that filename.wal or filename.sz or filename.wz becomes filename.wsz

If the problems persist, tell me what your Windows OS is...

WinME/2k instructions:
          Control Panel -> Folder Options -> File Types tab
          Scroll down for WSZ (winamp extension installation file) -> Advanced
          Default action should be: Install
          App used command line = "C:\Program Files\Winamp\winamp.exe" "%1"

Win9x Folder Options accessible via:
          My Computer/Windows Explorer -> View or Tools Menu (can't remember which)
          or via: Start -> Settings -> Folder Options

__________________________________________________ __________________

Advanced help:

For people who have both WA2 and WA3 installed:

Note: This is a temporary measure and can be UNDONE once the winamp site is fixed.

Folder Options -> File Types tab
          Scroll down for & hi-lite WAL (Winamp3 Skin file)
          Click "Advanced" (WinME/2k) or Edit (Win9x) or whatever it is in WinXP
          Checkmark: Confirm open after download
          Okay everything

Now when you try to download a skin, you'll be prompted to open/save the file first.

For WA3 skins, save to the Winamp3\Skins dir
          No further action is required except to open WA3 and select the skin via the GUI.
          Or, you can select "open from current location" and the process will be automated.

For WA2 skins, save to the Winamp\Skins dir
          Then repeat the "rename" action as outlined above (*.WAL to *.WSZ)
          Alternatively, in the "Save to Disk" dialog, change the filetype to "all files" from the drop-down menu, and manually change & type in the correct finename/extension, eg. filename.wsz

Now, for those who are getting these weird .wz or .sz extensions, you'll need to try this little workaround.
          In Folder Options -> File Types
          Click "New"
          Type in the following:
          Extension = wz
          (or if you're getting *.sz files, Extension = sz)
          For WinME/2k, click "Okay" (I don't know if it's the same for WinXP)

Depending on your Windows OS, you'll then need to edit the properties for this new (temporary) filetype.
          In Win9x, this is all done in the same "New" screen
          For Win2k/ME, back in the original "File Types", you'll now see your new filetype is hi-lighted in the Extensions list.
          Click "Advanced"
          Checkmark: confirm open after download
          Checkmark: Always show extension

If you want, you can also type in a description (the cursor will already be in this box, ie. the one next to "Change Icon")
          If you want, you can type in something like:
          Borked Winamp Skin

You can also change the icon if you wish, but this is not relevant to the problem/solution.
          (eg. click "change icon", then "browse" to say winamp.exe and select one of the icons. I suggest using a different icon to the one used for .WSZ files, to help you distinguish between the two)

That's it!
          Now when you download a skin, you should get the Open/Save Dialog.
          Select "Save" and download it to the Winamp\Skins dir.

Now follow the instructions above to rename the file from *.WZ or *.SZ to *.WSZ

(or simply change the filetype in the save dialog to: "all files" and type in the correct filename and extension, eg. skin.wsz)

I don't think you'll even need to create a default "Action" (eg. Open) in Folder Options, because Winamp won't recognize the .WZ or .SZ extension anyway, that's why it's adding them to the playist and trying to play them instead.

IMPORTANT
          Make sure you are downloading Winamp 2 skins for Winamp 2x
          and not Winamp3 skins for Winamp 2x
          Winamp3 skins (.wal) will NOT work with Winamp 2x

Note:

You can currently only download from the individual skin's "more info" page, the "download" links from the WA2 "browse" category sections are still borked.

Please be patient and everything will eventually return to normal.

Thank you for your kindness & understanding.

[edit] now fixed [/edit]

ps. note that this post doesn't cover all skin-loading problems, only the current issue. For further tips/help regarding problems with downloading/installing skins, see here

pps. note to self:
          I'm pretty certain this is due to a winamp.com fault, and nothing to do with the Windows Registry settings. I've checked the Registry and everything seems to be in order, but I'll dig even deeper just to make sure. It's also possible that installation/uninstallation of WA3 is causing weird things to happen, eg. a buggy conflict of interests with WA2

Comment

• UncasMS
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2001

many recent files are winrar 3.x format - it's high time you updated

Comment

• burn out
              • Apr 2003

Well, I installed WinAmp to give it a try after I had used sonique for a while. That was a couple of months or weeks? ago. There was this comment somewhere that I can't rememmber. It said that the ol' winamp was better for this and that.. reason. So I took this word instead having to fiddle w. Beta and other weirdos.
              I have to admit that I have no clue what the deal is NOW.
              If the #3 is the better version then please educate me and tell me why.
              You may laugh at me, but a very important thing to me is that I need a skin that enlightens my 45 year ol' eyes of a dirty ol' man. I just can't stand those dark "gozillion guesswork grafical skins" of the "living in the darkness, X-Ray eyed" developers / users. O.K. perhaps it me who lives in the darkness LOL.
              Anyway I finally found a simple and clear skin that gets straight to the point. Besides that it reminds me at my beloved ol' greyish coloured NAD Monitor HiFi stack.
              There's a cool skin with the #3 version that I initially intended to load. Well that's the one that got me stumble over it this morning.
              I'm a happy Lame user, looking forward to use Ogg and MPC.
              Lemme know what you thinks.

P.S. Had to edit for all those typos, DAM++, my fat fingers!@$§$%
              Have a nice evening
              Last edited by burn out; 3 Apr 2003, 01:53 AM.

Comment

• burn out
                • Apr 2003

Ooohh my Gaawd!!!

OOoohh my Gaawd!!!
                Just realized that I confused two different problems that I'm having.
                My initial Question was about how to open the WinRar file to install the so called media player classic.

Then, for some unknown reason I came up with an other problem that I had a few minutes later. That was an "installing a W.Amp skin problem". Oh Well., Sorry for that.

Anyway, is there any good Media Player around that makes it possible to view Real Media files that won't cut too deep into my system and w/o all that spyware crap?
                Thanx for pointers in advance

Comment

Working...