• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SKD_Tech
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2003

MPAA AND RIAA try to shut down Grokster and StreamCast

Another bit for the your rights online section: An LA judge ruled that Grokster and StreamCast p2p services cannot be held accountable for illegal file sharing by its users. The court based its decision on the fact that those services are hard to control because they are decentralized, and that the services also offer significant value for legal use. The plaintiffs (MPAA and RIAA) are expected to appeal to the decision.

Quoted from Doom9 News

See the MPAA doesn't ALWAYS win.
  • Mark Madness
    • May 2002

As far as I'm concerned they'll never win. There's always going to be some new p2p service popping up. The digital sharing age is here to stay. In fact, it's probably only going to get worse. Internet connections are getting faster, files are getting smaller, materials are easier to obtain, the sheer number of files being shared is increasing exponentially, and people are learning more of what they can get out of it. I don't even know why people are complaining so much about it. You don't see music stores and movie theatres closing down do you?

Comment

• gd_nimrod
      • Nov 2002

Originally posted by Mark Madness
      As far as I'm concerned they'll never win. There's always going to be some new p2p service popping up. The digital sharing age is here to stay. In fact, it's probably only going to get worse. Internet connections are getting faster, files are getting smaller, materials are easier to obtain, the sheer number of files being shared is increasing exponentially, and people are learning more of what they can get out of it. I don't even know why people are complaining so much about it. You don't see music stores and movie theatres closing down do you?
      I agree with you apart from the fact that files are getting smaller.... Files are actually getting bigger (games/apps/movies) for better quality and, in the case of games, bigger "worlds".
      Did you know you can SEARCH the forum? Fixes common problems too:
      http://forum.digital-digest.com/search.php

Also search on the whole Digital-Digest website:
      http://www.digital-digest.com/search.html

Comment

• SKD_Tech
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Jan 2003

It will NEVER stop because there will always be newsgroups!

Comment

• Mark Madness
          • May 2002

What I was talking about when I said files were getting smaller was specifically video files (since that's what we mostly talk about here). Remember when Star Wars Episode I came out in '99? A bootleg copy of the movie was well over 2 gigs! Nowadays, you can get two hour movies to fit on a CD-R.

Comment

• SKD_Tech
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Jan 2003

2 gigs.. lol Good thing I didn't download it. At that time I only had a 256k conection

Comment

• Batman
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Jan 2002

At the same time, the RIAA and MPAA have begun re-focusing their legal efforts on file traders. Consequently, many "file traders" are facing legal action.

Comment

• Mark Madness
                • May 2002

Seriously? I guess I better unshare that 96 GB of MP3 files I have.

Comment

• Batman
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Jan 2002

Modern day horror tale:

Yes, you can still get your pants sued off in this high-tech era:

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Jan 2003

It makes you wanna just go rent and rip instead of download

Comment

Working...