Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gilbert80218
    • May 2003

mpeg capture useing hauppauge WinTV PVR USB

I have been using a WinTV Pvr USB deveice. It is a hauppauge product.

I am using it to capture TV shows from my Dish. I have it capture the video in Mpeg2 format. 480 x 480 with a bit rate of 2325. A one hour file is about 1.05 gig.

The file quality looks GREAT, it play back on my pc using PowerDVD.

I burn them directly on to DVD-r. I can put 4 hours of TV on one disk. I am able to play them on my computer. However I would like to know if there are any standalone DVD players that can play a MPEG2 file that has not been converted in to the AVI DVD format? Why can computer DVD players play these disks but stand alone players cannont?

Please PLease help
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"I would like to know if there are any standalone DVD players that can play a MPEG2 file that has not been converted in to the AVI DVD format?"

1) As far as I know, there's no such thing as "AVI DVD format"

2) If your standalone DVD player can definitely play burned SVCDs (MPEG2-SuperVideoCD), simply use a program such as TMPGEnc to modify your MPEG2 file into MPEG2-SuperVideoCD format (takes les than 5 minutes) and then use NERO or similar to ONLY BURN (NOT convert, since you will have already done this)a CD-R as SuperVideoCD

Comment

• gilbert80218
      • May 2003

OK, I understand what you are saying. I have that program, and I used to make svcd's. I love the quality, BUT I hate that an hour doesnt fit on one disk. I used to make vcd's but the quality was lacking.

I have be archiving the mpeg2 files on DVD disks. I have created them using the Data disk option. I can access each file and play them on the computer.

I want to fite the same 4 hours on the DVD as I have been doing, and I dont want to loose any quality.

Is it possible to write an SVCD on a DVD? If so then I could have each our show be a chapter. There really has to be a way to do this.

You would thing the Hauppauge WinTV would be able to capture it in a format that was ready to be burned on a DVD with out having to do anything else to the file format.

I could really use any help.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Go to:

Comment

• gilbert80218
          • May 2003

ok, This is what it said, And this EXACTLY what I have been doing!!! I am glad to see it writen some where, at least I dont feel like a bid fool.

I guess I need to know if any one knows of a stand alone DVD play that will plat the MPEG1/2 ISO files, written on a DVD-r

"(Note! If your DVD Player supports MPEG1/2 ISO files, you could just copy the SVCD MPG files to your HD and burn them directly on a DVD±R/W as standard data. You should then be able to select and play the MPG files from the file browser on your DVD Player. But this DVDSVCD will only work on DVD Players that supports MPEG1/2 ISO. )"

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

You can check the abilities/limitations of specific standalone DVD players at:

http://www.dvdrhelp.com./

Comment

• techno
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Nov 2001

2 get ultimate quality, look on my guide for capturing guides.

do not capture using compression, since compression WILL lose quality when capturing and compressing at the same time

sorry, just a wee bit off the topic but it is worth mentioning if u also like quality

Comment

• gilbert80218
                • May 2003

Where is your guild located at?

Also I still am unable to find a DVD play that can play mpeg 1/2 ISO files off of a DVD-r. I assume the DVD play will have some sort of file menue option, and I can put mulitple mpeg files on one disk?

Comment

• techno
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Nov 2001

just click on my signature and it will take u to the guide. look under capturing.

u have to encode the formats to DVD using TMPGEnc and then author it and burn in nero.

look at my site again for this (look at the burning and authoring guide)

u can create a menu system, nero has it but i never used it and there maybe other software which can create a menu.

I think the authoring software I talked about in the guide can do it too...but can't remember

Comment

• gilbert80218
                    • May 2003

I looked it over, and it sounds nice
                    BUT
                    I really want to just capture as a mpeg2
                    AND
                    then
                    write as DATA on a DVD-r.

With such disks I can play back using powere DVD. However is there ANY set top DVD play that can access these DATA files?

Rember the disks are not autored. The resolution is 480x480 and the audio at 44 the bit rate is around 2300.

There has to be a simle way to do this.

Why can power DVD play this, but not a stand alone, It is only Software!!

Comment

• techno
                      Digital Video Master
                      Digital Video Master
                      • Nov 2001

Originally posted by gilbert80218
                      I looked it over, and it sounds nice
                      BUT
                      I really want to just capture as a mpeg2
                      ok then u lose quality instantly.....

With such disks I can play back using powere DVD. However is there ANY set top DVD play that can access these DATA files?

Rember the disks are not autored. The resolution is 480x480 and the audio at 44 the bit rate is around 2300.

There has to be a simle way to do this.

Why can power DVD play this, but not a stand alone, It is only Software!! [/B][/QUOTE]

ARE u burning these files as DATA on DVD or as in proper video format on DVD?

u can make SVCD's (480*480 res) but i don't know if it can be burned as SVCD on DVD's....simply because of the "standards" but i could be wrong.

yes u can burn 480*480 if u encode it as SVCD's using TMPGEnc....and DVD's are different...and are burned on DVD's....

Comment

• techno
                        Digital Video Master
                        Digital Video Master
                        • Nov 2001

ok u can make SVCD DVD but it is not compatable on most dvd players...but check ur dvd player...

ur best converting to DVD and taking full advantage of that to b honest.

Comment

Working...