Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kagem
    • Jun 2003

cpu usage doubles when using vobsub

When I try to watch any type of movie with any type of subtitle file and directvobsub is the one that displays the subtitles, my cpu usage jumps up quite a bit to almost double on some movies. This makes some movies unwatchable as it becomes choppy or the audio will go out of synch. I have tried using different players such as bsplayer, wmp classic, and wmp 6.4 all with the same results. This occurs with both the newest version of directvobsub and 2.14. I have tried changing most of the options in the configuration with no difference at all to cpu usage.

If I have BSplayer display the subtitles there is almost no difference in CPU usage so I'm thinking there must be something wrong. Any ideas on what could be causing this? Bsplayer
    can't display all formats of subtitles and I prefer the way vobsub displays them so I would like to continue to use it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

System specs:
    P3 600
    512 megs ram
    Win98se
    Geforce2GTS

I know system is kinda low but I only use it to watch media on my tv and when vobsub isn't loaded average cpu usage is under 50%, but with directvobsub with the same movie it jumps to 95%+
    Last edited by kagem; 8 Jun 2003, 12:26 PM.
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Was this when you were using DirectVobsub?

Comment

• kagem
      • Jun 2003

is that the one that starts up when you have a subtitle file which is the same name as a movie file? If it is, yup. I always get those two confused

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

There should be an icon on your system tray, indicating that DirectVobsub is loaded and active...

Comment

• kagem
          • Jun 2003

Yup it is DirectVobSub. The icon appears. I don't have any problems getting it to load, the problem is that when it is loaded and displaying subtitles my cpu usage nearly doubles. So say I play movie.avi with movie.srt in the same directory, cpu usage will be around 95-100+% resulting in choppy playback which causes sound to unsync with the video. Then if I go and and change the subtitle file to say movie.bak and play the avi without DirectVobsub loading, the cpu usage will only be around 40-50% and the movie plays very smooth with no problems what so ever.

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

That's strange. I never had such problems even with my (slightly faster) 800MHz P3. Have ensured that DMA is enabled and that DirectVobsub is optimised well (prebuffering sub-pictures, for example)?

Comment

• kagem
              • Jun 2003

Yup DMA is on and I tried changing most of the settings in DirectVobSub with little or no difference to cpu usage. So at least now I know this isn't normal, just wish I knew what could be causing it.

Comment

• Enchanter
                Old member
                • Feb 2002

Try downloading and installing the newer Vobsub 2.23 from the here.

Comment

• kagem
                  • Jun 2003

Already tried that

Comment

• kagem
                    • Jun 2003

Just noticed another thing while trying to figure this out. The higher the resolution of the movie the more cpu usage it takes. I tried it with a 384 x 288 movie and the cpu usage jump was just about 20-30%, for 576 x 320 it's about 30-40%, and 640 x 480 at about 40-50% which makes it double of what it is without subs.

The subtitles themselves don't make any difference at all. I even tried subs that were made for different movies and the cpu jump was consistant as long as there were subs currently on screen.

In the directvobsub configuration I made sure that "Original Height" and "Original resolution" were set in the Picture size settings to make sure no extra processing would be needed. I also have "read sub into memory" and "pre-buffer subpictures" checked. In the Text settings, changing any of settings like "advanced renderer" results in no change in cpu usage at all.

I don't see why a higher resolution would require more cpu usage when displaying subs, specially when bsplayer and ffdshow can display the subs at the same resolution with no jump in cpu usage at all.

Oh well, if I can't figure this out, I can just have bsplayer display the subs. I'll just have to format the subs myself since bsplayer or ffdshow doesn't automatically wordwrap long subs and won't have the nice formatting and colors that directvobsub displays.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎