X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rdbenfield
    • Jun 2003

Software encoding (DV vs Huffyuv) ???

Hello all,

I am trying very hard to get a decent capture and burn to DVD. I am not having much success so far. I assume one of my primary problems is the fact that I am doing Mpeg encoding realtime. I would assume that I can get much better results by encoding to a less lossy format first and then doing a multipass vbr mpeg encode.

I do not have a very fast or very large hard drive. From what I gather Huffyuv, although the best option, would use about 36 GB per hour for capturing. I really don't think my drive will keep up with that well and even if it does I only have a 60 GB to capture to and one of the first things I want to capture is 2 hours (72 GB). After doing much reading I had thought about getting a 1394 card and a analog to DV converter like the Canopus ADVC-100. Problem is I don't have the money for that right now. DV sounds like a good format, good for editing, not nearly as lossy as Mpeg and much smaller than Huffyuv at only about 13 GB per hour.

So here is where my question comes in. If I were to use something like the MainConcept DV codec and AVI_IO to capture and do realtime DV software encoding, would I end up with acceptable quality? I know that is kind of subjective but I am just trying to figure out the best way to do this. I have spent a lot of time already and I am just hoping others may have knowledge that would save me weeks and weeks of trial and error.

Thanks in advance,
    Richard
  • Batman
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2002

You should end up with acceptable quality using a dvd codec. Personally I would use Virtualdub/Virtualdubmod to capture.

For more information on DV related issues search the "DV" subsection at the doom9.org forum.

Comment

Working...