Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tunnlrat
    • Jun 2003

Surround Sound Vcd's

I have been fiddling with vcd's for the last couple of days, I have recently learned how to put ac3 audio into and avi file, but is it possible to make a vcd with ac3 sound??? I want 5 channel surround sound, not just 5 channel stereo surround

I use tmpgenc to make my vcd's put it can't read .ac3 files nor can it read the audio from and avi file that has ac3 in it
  • Fluffbutt
    • May 2003

I gotta admit, I never tried tmpgenc after the first few failures.

I use dvddecrypter to rip and dvdX 2.2 to re-encode.

Tips: tell dvddecrypt to NOT muck about with streams and de muxing, just rip it as it is. Tell dvdX NOT to muck about with the vobs, just treat the already embeded ac3 as is. End result = surround sound vcd...
    |
    Meeeow!

Comment

• gd_nimrod
      • Nov 2002

Re: Surround Sound Vcd's

Originally posted by tunnlrat
      I have been fiddling with vcd's for the last couple of days, I have recently learned how to put ac3 audio into and avi file, but is it possible to make a vcd with ac3 sound???
      Well, it IS POSSIBLE, however the (s)vcd that you create will NOT be able to playback the sound on a standalone, so there's not really a point to create a file with excellent sound, but that you CAN'T playback on a tv set.
      Did you know you can SEARCH the forum? Fixes common problems too:
      http://forum.digital-digest.com/search.php

Also search on the whole Digital-Digest website:
      http://www.digital-digest.com/search.html

Comment

• Fluffbutt
        • May 2003

Sorry to disagree with you gd_nimrod, but by way of use dvddecrypter to rip and dvdX 2.2 to re-encode DOES produce a vcd or svcd that plays back on my telefunken dvd player, with full surround sound (dvdx just accepts (?) the vob file with the ac3 sound left in it.

It also auto kills the sub channels (not proper name) that carry commentary and other crap. It does have trouble with multiple video channels tho - it did die another day fine, but the video is interspersed with commentary video...
        |
        Meeeow!

Comment

• gd_nimrod
          • Nov 2002

WEll then if i were you i'd make a guide (if one hasn't already been made) because thats pretty sweet if indeed one CAN produce a vcd with amazing AC3 sound...

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

To Fluffbutt

Would you be good enough to play one of your burned VCDs in Windows Media Player v.6.4 on your PC?

While it's playing, rightclick in the middle of the image and select "Properties". Then click on the "Advanced" tab. Select the "MPEG audio decoder" (or similar) - and post here which audio decoder it is using and what thesettings are for the audio decoder...

Comment

• tunnlrat
              • Jun 2003

A guide to ac3 Vcd's

If in fact there is a way to encode vcd's with ac3 sound I would very much appreciate a guide on how to do it. If i don't find one then I will attempt to discover and make my own way up

Comment

• gd_nimrod
                • Nov 2002

Re: A guide to ac3 Vcd's

Originally posted by tunnlrat
                If in fact there is a way to encode vcd's with ac3 sound I would very much appreciate a guide on how to do it. If i don't find one then I will attempt to discover and make my own way up
                ??

Didn't you just say you HAVE found a way to make a PLAYABLE vcd with ac3 sound?? "but by way of use dvddecrypter to rip and dvdX 2.2 to re-encode DOES produce a vcd or svcd that plays back on my telefunken dvd player, with full surround sound (dvdx just accepts (?) the vob file with the ac3 sound left in it."

You're now contradicting yourself...

Comment

• tunnlrat
                  • Jun 2003

I Never Said that!!!!

It was FluffButt that said that I never said I have done it. I said I have found a way to pull the ac3 out and put it back in but I can't re-encode to make a vcd well not yet anyway I am attempting it as I write this

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

To gd_nimrod

Look CAREFULLY at who posted the claimed ability to created VCDs with .AC3 audio ("Fluffbutt" not "tunnlrat")...

Maybe that new decriminalization law should be reversed ;>}

Comment

• Batman
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Jan 2002

Re: To gd_nimrod

Originally posted by setarip
                      Maybe that new decriminalization law should be reversed ;>}

In any case we should make a new rule for the forum:

don't puff and post

Comment

• tunnlrat
                        • Jun 2003

I do have one question about encoding with dvdx 2.2. When I tell it to open the ifo file, it will use ac3 for input but there is no option for ac3 output I can only process 44khz 48khz or leave the same at 44khz or 48khz.

I take it to get the ac3 sound I have to encode with 44khz at same as input???

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • Jan 2003

You could indeed have a VCD using a AC3 audio stream but if you want to it to have surround sound on your TV you will need something to decode the AC3 such as a AC3 capable audio video reciever

Comment

• gd_nimrod
                            • Nov 2002

LOL. As i'm reading this thread over i am truly laughing at how i could've posted what i did. I think it was cause when i read the post by fluffbut i mistook it for being written by tunnlrat, anyway sorry tunnlrat. However i think we all would still like to hear from fluffbut!

Oh, and i'm not editing my previous post cause it's just too funny, thanks for noticing guys

Comment

• tunnlrat
                              • Jun 2003

FluffButt??? Where have you gone???

It may have just been me, But maybe Fluffbutt has taken off on us... If he is out there, then maybe he could come back and enlighten me on the art of ac3 vcd's I do not doubt it is possible, for where there is a will then there is a way!!

Comment

Working...