Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MadBob
    • Jun 2003

Just ordered Pioneer 106

I just ordered a Pioneer 106 DVD writer and wondered if there is a list somewhere of the best media to buy? I have used Verb's for burning CDs for a long time now but don't know anything about the various DVD media,

I figured this sort of question must come up fairly often (did search but came up with nothing - feel free to chastise me if you find one) so there must be a recommended DVD Media for Pioneers somewhere, also would I be better off writing to the DVD-R or the DVD+R media,

I have had CD burners since 1994 (Yammy then onto Plex etc) but this being my first DVD burner, due to the fact they now write fast enough to bother with (and my missus finally loosened the purse strings) I thought it better to ask a bit of advice,

just point me at the relevant info instead of answering if you want,

cheers
  • dgsgc
    DVD backerupper
    • Jun 2003

i have used traxdata and ritek discs with great effect, not one coaster and all work in my player perfect, in fact most of the ritek discs are ok, i find the darker dye's to be better for video however.

stear clear of bulq pack, i had some of these and they just didnt play at all without many errors

the 106 is one fine piece of kit
    Dave ~ DVD Shrink rules... no more Tmpeg for me

Comment

• Wizard_23
      • Jan 2003

Another good choice

A second drive to consider is the plextor PX-504a. Its also a nice drive for dvd backups. I used to have the Panasonic LFD-310 drive which I got about a year or so ago.

As far as media goes, I have used tdk the most often for my backups. Verbatim work too but I'm not sure if they make dvd+r's yet though.
      Last edited by Wizard_23; 26 Jun 2003, 04:15 AM.

Comment

• dgsgc
        DVD backerupper
        • Jun 2003

thats a good place for dvd media if your in the UK
        Dave ~ DVD Shrink rules... no more Tmpeg for me

Comment

• DVDIdiot
          Gold Member
          Gold Member
          • Oct 2002

I've been using DVDPro for my Pioneer 104 without any problems. But I did have a problem with PRINCO.

NEVER, NEVER buy PRINCO media !!!!
          Unless you wanna mess with it.
          It won't play on some home DVD players.
          DVD Step-by-Step Guides
          http://dvdplanet.fateback.com

Comment

• dvdram
            Suspended
            • Jul 2003

here is my testing result on shop4tech 4x dvd-r which I bought 50 pcs, however I think it is a good deal and I personally like it. I burned my first one from the stack. The one did burn at 4X on my DVD-R 105 Pioneer burner for only 16 min and sony dru 500a for only 23 min. I burned a movie, file size 4.4 gigs, no freezing throughout the disc. They are selling these DVD-R's for .99. only 1 pcs coaster out of 50 pcs Playback ability wise, I took to best buy where has all the different type of dvd players and the play back ability is perfect. it is a very good deal for 4x media but the only down side abou this media is that it only could burn 2x on sony drive otherwise this is going to be the best out of all media I had seen. well hopefully this information is going to help all of you guys who is about to buy media or thinking about where to buy. By the way the code of this media is LONGTE..NO, I am going to receive some more media from shop4tech.com in about 3 days from now with different brand to compare to see which is the best and I will share them with you all!!

Comment

• dvdram
              Suspended
              • Jul 2003

Pioneer 106 is the same drive as pioneer 105 the only different to it is 106 has ability to burn dvd+r/rw format, however burinning speed on 4x dvd-r should be the same as 105. on my early posting for shop4tech.com 's testing result which I did use 105 drive so hopefully this information would help you somehow!!

Comment

• The Edge
                Digital Video Expert
                Digital Video Expert
                • Jan 2003

I'm expecting this drive on Wednesday!(Just over €200 euro)
                Looks solid. Major differences between it and the Sony is it has a 2mb buffer compared to the Sony's 8mb.

It has alot of features new to the dvd market:
                DRT-DM (Distributed Real Time Defect Management)
                Ultra DRA (Dynamic Resonance Absorber)

Apparently very good at writing to bulk media.
                There is also a new 1.06 firmware released from pioneer last Saturday.

The below is after the new firmware is installed:

There are huge differences between both firmwares.

Since the recent firmware release, we can expect more hacks soon (higher ripping speed then X2?)
                RPC-2 Firmware recently too.

I can't wait to test it!

Edge
                "…I know the industry is formally opposed to that kind of thing [bootlegging] but I'm not. I don't have a problem with it at all." -- Paul McGuiness"

Comment

• The Edge
                  Digital Video Expert
                  Digital Video Expert
                  • Jan 2003

There will be a new hacked firmware release today/tonite hopefully.

RPC-1 / 12x ripping unlocked / 4x writing to all media

I will post link as soon as I get update from firmware creator
                  "…I know the industry is formally opposed to that kind of thing [bootlegging] but I'm not. I don't have a problem with it at all." -- Paul McGuiness"

Comment

• crazyportuguese
                    • Sep 2003

About the media Ritek seem to really rule at least the only decent media that I found till now is a Primedisc dvd-rw from ritek, it records on my pioneer 106d at maxium speed 2x and no errors, the same I cant say about princo dvd-rw wich only record's at 1x and once it gave me a fiew errors.
                    I havent found any primedisc or ritek dvd-r's but I'm sure gonna bet on them not only for what I've seen in dvd-rw's but also for what people have been talking about.

About Princo I'm also going to try to keep away from them, even toght its quiet hard here in Portugal to find good media and I can say that princo are not the worst at all, lets just say that I boght some Medianca 4x dvd-r media a pack of 10 and most of them are going straight to garbadge at 4x all the disc was unreadable, at 2x some parts of the movie were unreadable at 1x at the dvd-rom it seemed ok no crc errors but refused to play in my mustek v560 (even toght it read the one record at 2x).

About Sky's and Mmore they only record at 2x and the quality seems ok they are from the same manufacture.

Comment

• The Edge
                      Digital Video Expert
                      Digital Video Expert
                      • Jan 2003

Pioneer DVR-106D v1.07 - RPC-1 + 2xDVD-R + 12xRip

New hacked firmware for the A06/106 owners
                      Works fine here.

Edge

Comment

Working...